Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Moonphase Noob Question

1. MRTMan Mar 6, 2017

Hi Guys,

I just picked up one of the new Speedmasters with Moonphase (304.33.44.52.01.001) as a wedding present from the missus and I'm over the moon! (Pun intended). It was this or a Yachtmaster 2, but the Speedmaster won me over :)

I've have a mechanical tissot and a swatch auto in my collection, and needless to say this is my first serious watch (and certainly not going to be my last!).

When manually winding the watch, should the watch be near silent? With an occasional slight click. There is also quite a bit of resistance. I left the chrono running all night so I could try winding morning. I wound clockwise in position 1, with the crown on the watch body. I imagine the watch would have been at least 90% wound already.

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate the advise :) What a beautiful watch and a fantastic place to start my collection.

P.S. The pad and cloth bag in my box, can I use these to clear my watch safely?

IMG_1104.JPG

Edited Mar 6, 2017
    M.C.B1974, gemini4, TJH and 5 others like this.
  2. w.finkenstaedt Mar 6, 2017

40-50 turns via the crown will give it a full wind. Modern in-house Omega's will be near silent to wind with quite a bit of resistance.

For cleaning I'd recommend a soft lint-free cloth. For deep cleaning, put a bit of hand soap (without any abrasives) on a soft toothbrush and get it wet, then scrub the hell out of the watch, being careful around the crown and pushers. Then rinse under the faucet and dry with a paper towel or the same soft cloth.

Congrats on the new moonphase! It's an awesome watch.

3. MRTMan Mar 6, 2017

Thanks for your reply:thumbsup: That helps me out a lot. I'm use to my mechanical Tissot which I stop winding when I hit any serious resistance. I can't overwind my Speedmaster can I? I understand auto's have a clutch which prevents overwinding.

4. w.finkenstaedt Mar 6, 2017

Not a chance in hell of over winding it. It has a slipping clutch and two barrels, which is why it's probably tougher to wind.

MRTMan and Foo2rama like this.
  5. MRTMan Mar 7, 2017

Here I was thinking you could only get double barrelled guns... :thumbsup: Super cool. I'm loving this watch, I keep learning about new parts of the movement. It helps to be green, everything is still exciting!

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  6. w.finkenstaedt Mar 7, 2017

It's definitely an excellent movement, and a very well-finished watch. Good choice. [emoji1360]

MRTMan likes this.
  7. BruceTheManLee Mar 7, 2017

Congrats

8. rominvicta Mar 7, 2017

Admirations! Did you manage to observe the step mark on the moon face?

9. N1CK Mar 7, 2017

Lucky man!!!

Really do think this is a lovely watch. Maintains the speedmaster aesthetic while also adding some charming and really useful complications.

FYI you don't need to wind it, it's an automatic movement ;-)

10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Mar 7, 2017

The First Speedymoon 345.0809 (1986) says congrats
    IMG_5818.JPG

Moppel and Spacefruit like this.
  11. w.finkenstaedt Mar 7, 2017

Automatic movements should still be fully wound before wearing to ensure the greatest accuracy. That's direct from Omega.

12. MRTMan Mar 7, 2017

Thanks guys, I feel in love with this watch as soon as I saw it:) I was on my way to pickup a Rolex last week but just thought I'd drop into Omega first. Something about this Speedmaster just won me over instantly.... the rest is history.

I keep mine in a winder so I don't loose my moonphase;)