Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Moonphase Chronograph Function

1. PvOmega Sep 28, 2018

Hi All

Is it Ok to leave the chronograph function running continuously on this model without causing too much wear and tear on the movement? (This is the one with the 60 minute and 12 Hours recorder at 3 o'clock.) Just thinking it would be useful as a second timezone if needed.

2. Caliber561 Sep 28, 2018

If this is the version with the "footprint" on the moon, I believe it has a vertical clutch, which means that you should be good with just letting the chrono run all day.

3. PvOmega Sep 28, 2018

Yes that's the one. I attached picture to confirm. 30433445203001-60-large.jpg

4. Caliber561 Sep 28, 2018

Yep, it's perfectly fine to let the chrono run with this piece. The vertical clutch doesn't wear when the chrono runs in the same way that the lateral clutch models do.

ext1 likes this.
  5. PvOmega Sep 28, 2018

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 28, 2018

Although the vertical clutch does not add loads to the watch in the way a horizontally coupled chronograph does, if you don't run the watch at least sometime with the chronograph turned off, there's a good chance that over time the parts of the central chronograph wheel will end up seized together, so if you did ever want to time an interval for something and you turn the chronograph off, it may stop the watch.

So I would suggest you run the watch with the chronograph stopped at least some of the time.

Cheers, Al

akshayluc420 and MikeMan2727 like this.
  7. PvOmega Sep 28, 2018

Good point, I'd probably use it mainly for holidays or business trips and it would be particularly useful for countries with the additional half hour timezone.