Forums Latest Members
  1. CrisROSE Jul 4, 2016

Hi everyone.

After several years of wanting, and saying good bye to an Apple Watch and a Leica camera, I've purchased my first Omega; a 1970 Speedmaster MkII with the regular black dial.

It comes with a bracelet, with all the links, in nice condition, but I've a rather hairy arm and have never gotten on well with metal bracelets.

I have a lot of love for tan leather straps and black rally straps, but I'd really want a 20mm with notches that widen out straight after the lugs, ala Bell & Ross

Do these exist? If not, who could make something custom like this? Would there be any way of making use of an original Omega buckle from the 70s?

I don't have the watch in hand yet, but I like to plan ahead on my purchases.

Thanks!

2. kurtj29 Jul 4, 2016

I used this guy to make two straps from my Rolex Explorer II.

Gunny Straps: Website:http://gunnystraps.blogspot.com

One was a complete custom "Paul Newman" type of flat bund strap. I gave him very specific instructions and he did a great job. (Down to the strap had to be 40mm wide to allow the watch to overhang a little) His prices were really reasonable for this type of work - about 50% to 60% of what you would pay for an OEM leather strap.

image.jpeg

3. alam Jul 4, 2016

I also decided to strap the MII on leather. I decided on a black croc. Coincidentally, I have this tan strap on its way but unsure on which watch it will end.... :) Let us see your MII when ready for prime time!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Etp095 and kurtj29 like this.
  4. kurtj29 Jul 4, 2016

I like that Mark II. That looks BNIB. Very nice.

5. alam Jul 4, 2016

thanks, is my Franken beauty! :)

6. kurtj29 Jul 4, 2016

Why "Franken". I admit I don't know enough about the Mark II to pick up subtle violations of originally. It looks like it has new parts - hands, dial. Is it not period correct? Heck it looks great. I put Broad Arrow hands on my Micheal Schumacher Legend Speedmaster to improve legibility and it also significantly improved the looks. "Franken" be danged.

7. alam Jul 4, 2016

Here's how this one came about...
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/ome...ii-black-dial-nos-condition.9847/#post-115446

LawBrk likes this.
  8. kurtj29 Jul 4, 2016

Wow you got a nice one. I get the whole keep it original thing, but your watch is not "Franken" IMO - it is still to original spec. My watch is "Franken" - I put broad arrow hands on a watch design that never had them - although they are true Omega Hands and similar models in the range had them... I have the original hands and my watch maker can pop them back on for $50, so no big deal. I wish there were more examples like yours. I just can't see spending $6,0000 + on a 45 year old 145 Speedmaster that looks like it has some science experiment growing inside the dial and it hit every telephone pole and doorway it passed close by over those 45 years. :)

Anyway, sorry for the rant, you have a beautiful watch.

alam likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 4, 2016

To answer the OP. There are more then a few people that can make a custom strap that meets your specs. But that style strap works on a B&R due to the square case that style strap might look odd on a curved mkii.

As to your question about the buckle. Yes it can be done. Watch straps with buckles are noted with 2 numbers. For an example a 20mm strap might be a 20/18. The 18 denotes the buckle width and you can source an Omega buckle in that size fairly easily.

What is your budget for the strap? I would guess to get one to your spec your looking at at least 100-150 usd for a custom if not more.

10. CrisROSE Jul 4, 2016

Thanks for the responses.

My thought for the strap shape, was that the curve of the case would be followed into the strap. It's something I could drawer out, and may mock up in photoshop once mine's arrived :)

I'll contact Gunny, I've heard good things in the past.

11. TomGW Jul 6, 2016

I'm sure it could be done very successfully. I had intended to go down this route for my Heuer Pasadena, which would also need a notched strap to continue the case profile. However, I finally found a correct bracelet for it. My suggestion would be to use the bracelet as a template for the shape of the leather strap, as it does have the correct shape and use a 16mm buckle rather than 18mm, to give a period feel.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 6, 2016

Love a MkII

mk2.jpg

Etp095, LawBrk and alam like this.
  13. alam Jul 6, 2016

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2016

15. alam Jul 6, 2016

one reason not to bid while on a tiny bitty phone screen! :confused:

16. zimmerit5 Jul 7, 2016

Here is a mark II with a grey racing dial strapped to a grey nato
    image.jpeg

17. CrisROSE Jul 8, 2016

Thanks everyone, loving the strap shots and options!

Mine finally arrived - my first Omega!
    IMG_2091.JPG

18. rogart ray it again, Ram. Jul 9, 2016

I think i now how u mean? Have seen a few watches with this kind of straps? Seen both made and notched straps? Little like this?
    download (21).jpg download 23.jpg download22.jpg
    Hope it's okay i borrow some old photos from the forum?