Forums Latest Members
  1. Maganator May 19, 2015

Guys, sorry, I know you must get bombarded with these threads requests for advice...

I have searched as best I can and it looks like the case serial number is the right match for the watch but beyond that I am at a loss as if this is real, fake or has different parts to it...

Obviously it will need new crystal and a good clean - but on the face of it is this worth a punt?

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which Watch Next and Blaise like this.
  2. Maganator May 19, 2015

Movement serial - 32200872.

3. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 19, 2015

Looking good :cool::cool:. Needs a service and some gasket and crystal .

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 19, 2015

dial and hands are nicely faded, and match. the dial appears to have "T Swiss Made T" which - if true - would mean original (replacement dials don't have the T's). Case looks a little beat up. not much of the 'sunburst' finish left, at least not in the pics.

over all though, looks original to me. I think it would clean up pretty nicely!

the serial number would put it somewhere in the early/mid 70's.

blubarb and Spacefruit like this.
  5. daswunschkind May 19, 2015

It's a very nice watch, which looks pretty good to me.
    Seems to have all the necessary charactaristics. Beside the mentioned, also the bracelet plus endlinks seem to fit.
    I like the racing dial much more than the "ordinary" one.

6. Maganator May 19, 2015

Thanks guys.

I pulled the trigger!

First Omega purchase* - I'll do a thread when it arrives!

Thanks again

*i bought a piece a few years ago which im fairly certain is fake so don't count that

blubarb, ConElPueblo, Matty01 and 2 others like this.
  7. Amomega May 19, 2015

Mmmm
    The down pusher was changed, and the holder ring too, i think was "created"
    Tks

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2015

If you are referring to the enlargement ring (aka movement spacer) it looks completely genuine to me. Please explain why you think it was "created"?

To the OP - hopefully the watch case is just very dirty - specifically wondering if the material around the crystal is dirt or a really large excess of glue from someone gluing in the crystal instead of installing it properly. Overall it looks like a decent watch.

Cheers, Al

blubarb likes this.
  9. Amomega May 19, 2015

In this model the holder ring have to be gold colour not steel.. But maybe im wrong

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 19, 2015

You mean like this one:

[​IMG]

This spacer pictured in this post is not correct for the watch - it has cut outs for case clamps, which the 321 or other regular Speedy Pro versions did not have. The spacer in the watch is for a Mk. II, not for a 321 Speedy Pro.

But all the spacers of this era are plated brass, so if you see a gold tone one like in the watch sold on the sales corner, it's had the plating removed. The one in the Mk II above is completely fine and like any other Mk. II spacer I've seen in my shop in these watches...

Cheers, Al

threeputtbogey and Northernman like this.
  11. Maganator May 19, 2015

And should I be concerned about the down pusher?
    Thanks for the replies

12. Maganator May 22, 2015

The strap is badly scratched - I have read plenty on here about making sure you do not polish vintage watches as it takes something away from them.
    What are people's views on having the strap polished to remove some of these scratches?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. scruffy May 22, 2015

I'm cool with it. I think it shows this watch has a history behind it, a story to tell and that would be lost if it was polished away. Ultimately, though, it all comes down to what you want. When you look at your watch, what does it say to you?

14. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 22, 2015

All depends what you want ?You could refurbish the case . And you could remove the scratches from the bracelet .Maybe they could be as they are looking badly scratched .

15. Northernman Lemaniac May 22, 2015

The case, after being cleaned, I think would be fine "as is". A slight and careful touch-up is max!
    The bracelet I would have touched up a bit. Not difficult as the links are rounded in profile. Basically I would have removed the baddest scratches gently using sanding paper (no need to go all out perfect) using finer and finer grain paper. Then reapply the satin/brush finish with appropriate means (scotch pad).
    You might consider trying it out on some cheapo stuff first, before going "all in" on the Omega bracelet!

16. Maganator May 22, 2015

I certainly do not want it looking perfect but I think the heavy scratches are a bit much for my tastes. I think I will have a bit of work done to the bracelet. I will just get the case cleaned I think

Northernman likes this.
  17. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 22, 2015

The bracelet looks good to me, i wouldnt polish as i think the scratching is too deep amyway to polish amd retain an original look ... the case however id have lightly polished, and of course the crystal. Lovely watch

18. Misterred May 23, 2015

Great watch! I would only go for a mechanical service and place a new crystal on this watch. All the scratches are fine and tell a story; that it is an old watch, used during work.

19. Queue Eat any good books lately? May 28, 2015

20. Misterred May 29, 2015

Like that one Queue!