Forums Latest Members
  1. jypson Mar 27, 2019

Greetings all! This is my first post with this forum, been a lurker for awhile, thanks for all your insight thus far!

I'm looking for a Speedmaster MKII, and came across one I'm interested in on chrono24. Everything looks pretty good to me except for the attached shot. It looks like there is some damage to the adjustment arm (sorry, don't know the proper terminology). Whatever I end up purchasing, I'm planning on getting the movement serviced anyway, so if this is a simple cosmetic issue, I'm not too concerned. Think this might be something to worry about? Thanks again for your thoughts.

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/speedmaster-mark-ii-caliber-861-year-1969--id9861716.htm

Screenshot_20190327-104000.png
  2. timestamp Mar 27, 2019

I‘m not in a position to comment on the movement damage, but to judge the case, you will need a shot like this:

A37B04CB-5B7B-4A4B-BD6A-AF6869A22EA6.jpeg

That’s not a Mark II in the picture, but the case is similar. Without knowing how thick the highlighted areas are, you can’t tell much about past polishing.

jypson, connieseamaster and OMEGuy like this.
  3. timestamp Mar 27, 2019

But I see the watch is already reserved - did you buy already?

4. OMEGuy Mar 27, 2019

The watch has been polished before and there's substantial loss on the case:

[​IMG]

And the price is a tad too high for me, but otherwise it looks correct.

jypson likes this.
  5. jypson Mar 27, 2019

Thanks for the comments :) I've expressed my interest and asked for a more detailed shot as suggested by 'timestamp', they've put it on reserve for me pending further inspection. They're also asking a bit less, still on the high end for a MKII, but within reason I think. Anything else I should be keeping an eye out for? Thanks again!

Waxtactic likes this.
  6. Waxtactic Mar 27, 2019

@jypson - I agree, the polish seems fairly harsh which takes away from the watch (value and price wise). Apologies that I cannot comment knowledgeably on the arm....however, I can, with certainty, comment that you have an awesome Mad Cat as your avatar :thumbsup:

7. jypson Mar 29, 2019

Wanted to provide an update. I asked the seller for pics like @timestamp suggested, and didn't hear anything back, so I've cancelled my offer. Thanks all for probably saving me some cash on an iffy buy. I'm still on the hunt for a Mark II through V if anyone has any good leads. Thanks!

PS. @Waxtactic - Wolf Clan for life! :D

Edited Mar 29, 2019
  8. chipsotoole Mar 29, 2019

Keep an eye out here on the private sales forum...Mark II's come up quite often. They're a tricky watch to price. I've seen them go as low as 1000 USD and as high as 3000 for standard dials. I think for a nice serviced one one you should be looking at around 1600-1900 USD or so.

jypson and brunomoreno like this.