Forums Latest Members
  1. vincereynard Mar 27, 2016

Afternoon people.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this 1973 Mk2 that I have been offered for £1000.

Both boxes and guarantee that indicates he is the first owner.

Logo on the back looks quite distinct, bracelet is an original (173 ?), dial looks unmarked.
    No movement shot, so a bit of a gamble. Looks pretty genuine to me, but what do I know.

IMG_0722.JPG ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 27 15.15.jpg

2. davidswiss Mar 27, 2016

For me that dial looks pretty nice but the case is a bit worn. Papers and box are nice to have but only if you can check the numbers in the paperwork with the watch so the back needs to come off, not only for that but also to check all is good. If it is the first owner, as claimed, he should have the history e.g. has it been serviced and by whom.
    I'd also say that £1000 is top end for a mk2.

3. TomGW Mar 27, 2016

I think the hour & min hands have been replaced at some point and these are not the correct length (about 1mm too short). Otherwise it looks original. The bracelet will be a 1162 - the endlinks are 173 and look to be the original 1970s version. If it's complete with its original box and all the Chrono functions are operating properly I'd say £1000 is a fair price. IMO a top end MKii would fetch closer to £1500, serviced and in minty condition.

rping, Cal_321, Northernman and 2 others like this.
  4. TNTwatch Mar 27, 2016

The hour and minute hands are for the racing dial (or some Seamaster chronos) and incorrect for this one. The correct ones should be a bit longer and all white.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. vincereynard Mar 27, 2016

Well done chaps, many thanks. I'm glad I asked!
    I had not noticed the hands, but having searched for a comparison the difference is clear -
    the minute hand should extend half way across the minute marker line.
    Shame I prefer the Mk2, even if that may be considered blasphemy! Time for a price negotiation perhaps!

What is the point of having lum. on the dial and non on the hands?
    Are the proper hands available?
    ScreenHunter_08 Mar. 27 17.17.jpg

6. TNTwatch Mar 27, 2016

New hands are still widely available for quite cheap, but good old vintage hands may be hard to find to go with that nice dial. Condition of the case is not clearly shown in pictures, but it would affect the watch's value more than the hands alone.

All those hands have lumes, they just appear too white in that picture because of the way the picture was taken.

7. TomGW Mar 27, 2016

Actually the hands in that watch are not correct either. The black dial MKii would originally have had the same handset as the regular Moonwatch, so are readily available. However, many owners fit the hands from the racing dial version, which are the same as those in your £1k watch, only approx 1mm longer. These (thicker) hands do suit the MKii so, while not original, look perfectly at home.

8. TNTwatch Mar 27, 2016

You're right. They look like those on the Mk3 or Mk4, not sure where they could've come from.
    The regular Moonwatch hands look the same from top down, but they're curved down at the tip of the minute and chrono second hands and may have clearance issue on the flat dial of the Mk2. The Mk2 hands are completely flat.

9. TomGW Mar 27, 2016

You're right, I'd forgotten about that.

10. vincereynard Mar 27, 2016

Do you mean 1mm shorter? I.E. the original were longer?

I think I'll buy a Timex!

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 27, 2016

Honestly I don't know why the hesitation to buy a one owner attractive dial watch - with papers. I mean how cheap does a MkII go? £800. It's got to be rubbish for less than that.

STS can refinish these cases now to factory. I would Service at the same time, replacing those hands. Unless the owner is a crook I would gamble on the papers matching.

These days it's very hard to find a one owner watch. You don't want it, I do!

So buy it. !

Northernman likes this.
  12. pwojnar Mar 27, 2016

Regarding @Spacefruit comment about STS refinishing the case. Is there a way to refinish gold capped cases? I have A MK2 with a beat up gold capped case that could use some attention. Sorry for hijacking the thread, good looking watch. I paid $1000 US for mine last month but it's definitely not a one owner watch and no papers.

13. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 27, 2016

14. TomGW Mar 28, 2016

That's what I said, the same (style) only longer.

Totally agree. £1000 was a very fair price IMO.

15. davidswiss Mar 28, 2016

I don't think that can be done but why not give them a call 01702 543 100 ??
    Or email: [email protected]
    Good luck.

pwojnar likes this.
  16. TNTwatch Mar 28, 2016

The Mk2 is not gold capped, but gold plated and can certainly be refinished and replated. Not sure who else can do it, but check out www.replateit.com.

pwojnar likes this.
  17. pwojnar Mar 28, 2016

18. TNTwatch Mar 28, 2016

If you send to ReplateIt, check their website for instruction before doing so. I think they require you to remove everything from the case, including the pusher tubes and crown tube.

19. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 29, 2016

And it sold for GBP1500 btw ;)