Forums Latest Members
  1. cyclemec Apr 25, 2016

Hi everyone, new to the forum, here.

I'm in need of advice regarding my Speedmaster MK ll, Calibre 861. I purchased the watch new in 1973 and wore it everyday for more than 30 years. It has been cleaned once, but still keeps great time. Would anyone recommend a watchmaker who could service and do a bit of restoration on this timepiece? I sent my Seamster GMT to Omega on 5th Avenue for cleaning and they did a great job but I'm not sure they would want to tackle this one.

Now, here's another question that may seem off the wall. Would it be possible (or feasible) to put the movement of my watch into the earlier Moonwatch case? I'd like something a bit lighter and less bulky in my old age.

Thanks very much for any guidance you could offer.

2. dialstatic Apr 25, 2016

Welcome!

They will tackle whatever you being them. Off the top of my head, a MKII falls in service category 3 (post 69 chrono's) and will set you back €590 or the equivalent in dollars. Bear in mind that you will get an almost new watch back: they will likely replace movement parts, dial, hands, bracelet and refinish the case to factory spec.

For collectors, who tend to value originality above all else, this is considered horrendous, but for wearing the watch, it doesn't get much better.

As to the movement swap: I've heard it can be done, but frankly (pun intended) I wouldnt do it. You can always sell your mk ii (pre-service!!) and purhase a nice 145.022 or something.

Also: we greatly enjoy pictures ;-)

Edited Apr 25, 2016
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 25, 2016

Not sure I'd trust Omega to restore factory finish on a Mark II case. at least in my experience, the results were not fantastic.

otherwise, agree!

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  4. TomGW Apr 25, 2016

STS in UK will refinish a MKii properly, by 'lapping', together with laser welding if necessary. Also Watchworks (Rocco) in UK as well.
    I have a very nice, original finish MKii with a good dial, that I wouldn't consider having refinished. However, I also have a scruffy one that I wouldn't hesitate to have redone. The MKii doesn't have the same collector value as a Moonwatch and a scruffy one is just a bit of a dog that can easily be transformed to 'as new'.
    In my opinion, if you prefer the Moonwatch case, unless you're really into vintage watches, sell the MKii as it is and buy a late, used, minty Moonwatch a couple of years old. I bought one a few weeks ago, with no signs of wear at all and still less than 2 years old for £1750GBP, complete on its full length bracelet, B&P etc. IMO, these are seriously undervalued.

Spacefruit and oddboy like this.
  5. Scepticalist Apr 25, 2016

I would concur with the above. If you want a Moonwatch, sell your MkII as it is and buy a Moonwatch witht he proceeds rather than potentially change the MkII into something that is devalued in the eyes of a collector

dialstatic likes this.
  6. sky21 Apr 25, 2016

If you like more of a vintage look I would suggest a 3590.50 Speedmaster. There are pre 1997 models with a beautiful tritium patina and a solid movement for not much money. Also very undervalued currently.

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 25, 2016

Actually I would not hesitate to put the MKII movement and dial, complete into a moonwatch case. Cases can be found relatively inexpensively, (and will always hold value anyway) and the job is easily done while a service is carried out.

The one on the left was in bad shape:

2 racing mk 2.jpg
    And became this:

PA260008-001.jpg

8. sky21 Apr 25, 2016

So what's your name for the bezel above @Spacefruit? You sticking with ghost bezel, or something else?

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 25, 2016

isn't that TBOAMCL bezel?

sirish19 likes this.
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 25, 2016

I call it a $5 bezel

sirish19 likes this.
  11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 25, 2016

And yes, it is a DO90

But it was still $5

GuiltyBoomerang and sirish19 like this.
  12. dialstatic Apr 26, 2016

While my OCD objects to this, I'll admit your result is beautiful.

Edited Apr 26, 2016
  13. cyclemec May 5, 2016

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone! I think I'll sell it as is and use the proceeds to buy another Omega.