Forums Latest Members
  1. shawn.dww Apr 7, 2016

Hello, I am new here, I usually hang at brother from another mother website - rolexforum.

But today I decided to join to access the vast vintage Omega knowledge.

I have restored many Rolex's in the past or should I say my watch maker has for me.
    I am looking at bringing this guy back to life. Do you think it is worth the challenge and are there sources outside of ebay and ofrei for parts.

My main concerns is the residue on the dial near the 6 oclock?
    as for the movement - 861
    it needs for sure:
    1842 - Operating lever spring
    1774 - Hour recorder yoke
    Probably new screws, mainspring. and pushers

It comes with the original bracelet.

So if it is can you guys recommend part sources outside those two mentioned above? Thanks
    Shawn

IMG_1811.jpg IMG_1812.jpg
  2. ConElPueblo Apr 7, 2016

That looks like a very optimistic guess :eek:

You asked if it would be worth the challenge? In my opinion, no. Unless there is some sort of sentimental value, this is a dead end.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 7, 2016

Hard to tell from these pics. Does the case still have traces of the original finish? Is the dial original (with T's by Swiss Made)? Is there rust in the movement?

If you have access to parts and a decent watch maker and the case and dial are OK, it could be a nice piece of watchatarianism.. but that movement looks like it's in very rough shape.

Poor little Mark II..

4. shawn.dww Apr 7, 2016

That is it i think I can access most of the 861 parts via ebay..and ofrei... but was wondering if someone knew of an alternative. Now that Omega stop selling parts to watch centers.

The dial is the original. Everything appears to be original, The gasket seems to have made a mess. My main concern is this orange residue on the dial, I want to start with it. I can get better pics once it is out of the case.

Wondering if this orange will clean up? Thoughts? Tips. I think the movement is the easy part. haha.

stain.jpg
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 7, 2016

If that's on the dial, that might be tough to remove without doing further damage.. a good clear pic would help.

It will probably never be 'collector' grade, but could be a good wearer. Depends on price - of the watch, and restoration.

6. shawn.dww Apr 7, 2016

The watch is free, the cost is all in the restoration (parts and watchmaker)...

I will have it disassembled in the next little while and report back with new photos. Thanks for your input.

My 145.022-69.. would love the company of this little guy :)
    Cheers.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

Buying parts on the open market is going to be expensive, as it seems many parts suppliers that have stock left are gouging people with very high prices. I assume your watchmaker doesn't have a parts account with Omega, but really someone who has access to parts is likely your best option. Omega parts are still very reasonably priced when bought directly from Omega.

I also believe the estimated spare parts tally to be very optimistic. It will very likely need many more parts than you have listed. Even with the watch being free, the labour and parts may still end up being more than it's worth in the end.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers, Al

8. shawn.dww Apr 7, 2016

Thanks again guys, and of course my parts list is optimistic, I have no idea what I am talking about haha, I simply look at the parts diagram state some of the obvious. I'm sure the not so obvious will turn its head! And ultimately I want it to work so my
    optimism goggles are on :) lol

ConElPueblo likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

Not trying to discourage you in any way, but having restored some rusty watches in the past I do know that parts costs can add up quickly. Yours doesn't appear to be this bad certainly, but until it's disassembled, cleaned, and all parts inspected under the microscope, you really never know what you will need:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But they can be brought back certainly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Longbow, rogart, Jonatan and 2 others like this.
  10. shawn.dww Apr 7, 2016

Thanks Al, Great photos and results....Cheers Shawn

11. dialstatic Apr 7, 2016

Dear Al,

Just to clarify: is it the case that all official Omega qualified watchmakers have a parts account, and may such individuals order parts freely for resale (or at least would it be considered OK for me to ask them to order parts for me), or is this only supposed to be done in the context of a service/repair?

Edited Apr 7, 2016
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

Parts are used for repairs, not sales...

13. dialstatic Apr 7, 2016

Didn't mean to offend, sorry if I did. I just wondered if it would be possible, given that I can freely order parts from Otto Frei etc. (even after the restrictions I that Omega imposed). If it was possible (and legal), I'd much rather see my local qualified Omega watchmaker make an extra buck off my business (and avoid the ludicrous shipping & import cost in the process). I'll take your answer to mean that it's not ;)

14. tony72cutlass's' Apr 7, 2016

Archer fixed up my Mark II this past fall, he did and incredible job and i was lucky that i didnt need too many parts. But of course, my watch had huge sentimental value and i would have paid whatever it cost to get her up and running again.

Before:
    photo.JPG
    After:
    IMG_3722.jpg

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

Not offended at all, just answering the question you asked. Feel free to use your local Omega watchmaker - they can do the work and provide the parts...

dialstatic likes this.
  16. TomGW Apr 8, 2016

I think there's little doubt that the stain on the dial is rust and the source of the rust is the movement parts. While the dial may clean, picking up a used dial won't be hugely difficult. However, I would anticipate that the dial side of the movement looks grim.
    I'm in the UK and my first (and second) thought is that this would be best handled by STS. In my experience it can be less costly when multiple new parts are needed. My inclination would be to attempt to clean the dial first and, if unsuccessful, source a used replacement and then send the whole lot to STS for assessment. I seriously doubt that the cost of sorting it out would meet or exceed the value of the finished article.
    On the other hand, this will give you an idea what the movement alone may fetch on eBay, even in its current state:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-SPE...%2FuG1hmj5I7AbMgTkxNc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

d4uk likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 8, 2016

Have you priced out new parts for this movement lately? If the rust damage is bad, it could require a lot of parts...and they are not all cheap. For example a new balance complete is pushing $700 just for that part alone.

The extent of the rust damage is unknown, but as someone who has actually brought watches like this one back, trust me it can add up very quickly.

18. rogart ray it again, Ram. Apr 9, 2016

I say service and go ahead :). If you got it for free you can splash out the money to build a very nice Omega Mark II. And you now that it's good? Because you had it serviced :) If you buy a watch for the same money? You will never now if it's serviced and done it properly . And why not same a Mark II Racing dial from the dead ?
    $700 for a complete balance is complete idiota :whipped:. But i now they cost that much.

19. shawn.dww Apr 9, 2016

Trying to save a dial from the dead. Here it is out of the case. Crossing my fingers on the disassembly.

Thanks for the notes. And what is STS?
    I got pushers NOS and I just asked a jeweller if he had any old omega movements and he said most likely. So crossing fingers on that one. He figures he has a few boxes of watches that are unclaimed after 30 years of service. So now I'm excited about that as well..

Cheers
    Shawn

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 9, 2016

But where's the T Swiss Made T?

Oh, there it is! I think maybe someone else has tried to clean it?