Forums Latest Members
  1. valkyrie_rider May 23, 2019

Gentlemen

Just got an Omega Speedmaster Mark III yesterday and thought about sharing my impressions.

For an early 70's watch (it was released in 1971), it looks pretty nice even though a bit quirky. It seats tall and proud on the wrist, but is comfortable, probably due to the case curved shape following the curvature of the wrist.

That being said, I don't think this watch can really fit under the wrist cuff.
    :)

It is powered by the caliber 1040, you can read more about its caliber here:
    https://www.calibre1040.com/calibre-1040-collectors-guide-movements/

What I like the most on this Speedmaster is the dial: there is a depth to it, due to the chronograph bezel sitting on top of it, under the mineral crystal.

It is possible to see an evolution here when it comes to the chronograph bezel:
    a) Moonwatch: bezel is on the outside of the case. Bumps may bent it and in some situations, break it loose from the case.
    b) Mark II: bezel/chronograph scale is part of the crystal, in the inside, thus being more resistant to bumps. Disadvantage is that the crystal is more expensive to replace.
    c) Mark III: bezel/chronograph scale is a ring, sitting under the crystal. I guess this is probably the ideal configuration as the crystal is cheaper to replace than the Mark II and the chronograph bezel should be less exposed than, say, the Moonwatch.

The Mark III had a few firsts for Omega:
    a) First automatic Speedmaster.
    b) First Speedmaster with a central minutes hand for the chronograph (i.e. instead of an extra register for the minutes).
    c) First Speedmaster with a date.
    d) First Speedmaster with a AM/PM indicator (it uses a clever stacked register in the seconds dial at 9).

And it is featured on Omega's official website:
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/60th-anniversary-speedmaster/mark-iii-1971

It is pretty tough to find an exemplar that the case hasn't been polished to death or that the dial is still in good shape. Quite commonly, vendors will announce Mark III with a nice 'patina' that in reality the dial is ruined, but you known how it goes...

Its case seem inspired by the Flightmaster, but I can't really comment on it, since I've never seem a Flightmaster 'in metal'.

So far, pretty happy to add this to my collection.
    :)
    IMG_20190523_101134.jpg IMG_20190522_232734.jpg IMG_20190522_232724.jpg

Edited May 23, 2019
    FRS, Etp095, Andy K and 2 others like this.
  2. valkyrie_rider May 23, 2019

Mandatory Omega ad:
    ad_omega.jpg

Etp095, alam, Tet and 1 other person like this.
  3. valkyrie_rider May 23, 2019

And the flightmaster:
    flightmaster.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  4. valkyrie_rider May 23, 2019

Found this being sold as 'nice tropical dial'...
    :-P
    fake_tropical03.jpg fake_tropical02.jpg fake_tropical.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  5. valkyrie_rider May 23, 2019

A question: anyone knows what would be the expected amplitude + beat error for this movement? i.e. cal 1040.

6. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it May 23, 2019

You're building yourself a nice little 70s collection there, like it!

Wuza72 and valkyrie_rider like this.
  7. alam May 23, 2019

chunky and good looking watch! :thumbsup: enjoy!

valkyrie_rider likes this.
  8. Wuza72 May 23, 2019

Nice catch :thumbsup:

valkyrie_rider likes this.