Forums Latest Members
  1. Grasshoper Jul 1, 2017

IMG_7978.PNG Hi all,
    Im thinking of buying this watch and wanted to consult. The service history is unknown but the seller claims it was serviced in Omega othorized center and well taking cared of. The case indeed looks very fine to me.

I think this is a redial, would you agree? Do you think it is an original newer dial?

Is the watch worth 2400$ (I guess not if it indeed a redial)? Seems a little high even though the watch is in very fine shape overall.
    If indeed it is a redial should I back off and wait for a piece with OG dial in that price range?

Thanks so much

IMG_7977.PNG IMG_7979.PNG IMG_7980.PNG IMG_7981.PNG IMG_7982.PNG
    Edited Jul 1, 2017
  2. ConElPueblo Jul 1, 2017

What makes you say it has been redialed? Looks like a service dial to me. Bracelet is wrong.

Grasshoper likes this.
  3. Grasshoper Jul 1, 2017

So you think its an OG service dial? Would you say its a fair deal at 2400$? Yeah I noticed too the bracelet is wrong even though I think it looks nice, Thanks so much

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 1, 2017

rob#1, ewand, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Jul 1, 2017

Eh, did additional pictures just get added to the OP? I agree with Spacefruit - avoid this one.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Grasshoper Jul 1, 2017

What is an OP? Thanks

7. ConElPueblo Jul 1, 2017

Original post/poster :)

I didn't see the pictures first time around, hence the question. It doesn't matter, though.

Grasshoper likes this.
  8. Grasshoper Jul 1, 2017

9. 2ar2c1 Jul 1, 2017

the sunburst graining has been poorly done, quite obvious.

marco and Spacefruit like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 1, 2017

The case brushing is wrong and poorly done, wrong hands and service dial. Price is high for a watch like that to collectors.

If you like it and plan not to ever resell it, then it's your money. But in hand I think you will not like how the case brushing was done.

Spacefruit likes this.
  11. Grasshoper Jul 1, 2017

Thanks so much, greatly appreciate it

12. ewand Jul 1, 2017

Here's a properly redone refinish job - before & after, my beater Mk II after a bit of spa treatment at STS:

[​IMG]

and here's my other Mk II - I don't know for sure if/when the case has been refinished but if it has, it's been done amazingly well - and if it hasn't then it's practically unmarked:
    [​IMG]

Edited Jul 1, 2017
  13. Grasshoper Jul 2, 2017

Why you think the dial is wrong? I noticed by the S shape of the Speedmaster it is not a 1970' dial. Why you think I wont like the case brushing? Thanks

14. Nathan1967 Jul 2, 2017

I post from a relative noobs perspective here myself. I don't want to seem harsh or in any way arrogant here and I apologise if I come across in that way. But I want you to buy a great watch that you love and enjoy fully. I think that you won't like the Watch you posted primarily because several eminent enthusiasts/collectors/experts have all told you that the finish is incorrect (amongst many other significant faults). Let me assure you that they are 100% correct in their opinions. If you buy this Watch those opinions will stick with you every time you look at this Watch, if you like watches, you'll want to sell it on in few weeks or months and when you do find a buyer, you'll only manage to do so at a far lower price than the one you paid. I've made similar errors and I really don't want you to do the same. Yes The lessons learned will be useful but also costly.
    The best Mark 2 Speedmaster on the market currently,to the best of my knowledge, is the one that @Spacefruit has mentioned and that is @ewand 's watch. It's the best for the following reasons (maybe others too) -
    Originality
    Aesthetic appeal
    Recent service
    Extract of archives
    Good Price
    All of the above mean that @ewand watch is great Value.

Good luck with your search.

All the best

Nathan

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 2, 2017

Look at the watch offered on this forum for less money. See how the case brushing looks like it radiates from the center point of the watch?

The one you posted is uneven and does not appear to radiate from the center. It will be pretty obvious once you get it.

Service dials and hands are less desirable by collectors and lower the price of the watch.

Look if one of the best available is being offered at the same price as one that is being panned by a bunch of collectors... think that through.

16. ewand Jul 3, 2017

@Grasshoper, my Speedmaster Mk II is still available though possibly not for long.
    If you really want one, then maybe we should talk soon. Unless you've already bought the watch discussed above?

17. ewand Jul 6, 2017

too late ... My lovely MkII has gone.

18. Toishome Jul 6, 2017

19. 2ar2c1 Jul 6, 2017

it was a beautiful piece.

20. ewand Jul 7, 2017

It still is - just has a new wrist to adorn :)

It's been for sale on here for 2 months at a not-unreasonable price; I turned down quite a lot of offers that were a way under because I concluded the watch was worth more than them, to me, even if it sat in my safe for another year.

All of which brings us to today's lesson - when you see a good looking and sensibly priced watch that you like, and you can afford, then don't hang about :)

ConElPueblo likes this.