Forums Latest Members
  1. fibersport Jan 22, 2014

I have inherited my dad's Speedmaster Mark II, with the racing dial. It currently is not working (crown falls out and it runs fast) and is in dire need of a major servicing. I've noticed it can be sent back to Omega, but some mention finding a local watchmaker instead. I'm at a loss on which way to go and would appreciate if some could share their experiences. If allowed on the forum, any suggestions of a trusted watchmaker in the Chicago area would be greatly appreciated. Obviously this decision will require some homework, just trying to get as much information as possible before going ahead with this.
    Thanks -
    Greg

2. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2014

Hi Greg. Got a picture of this heirloom watch? It's the customary fee for soliciting advice.

ron n likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 22, 2014

Welcome to the fruit factory (or the nut-house).

I'd get your Speedie serviced by a reputable local watchmaker. Omega can do it but it's expensive and the end result may remove originality from your heirloom.

I'm sure someone in the Chicago area could recommend a watchmaker.

4. fibersport Jan 23, 2014

I will work on a picture or two, it's too cold out to do anything else! I've always been one of those people that is often undecided on wheter to restore something to like new condition or leave it and let its years show. In this case, I might lean towards making it look new. I know some purists will scream but in the long run, I don't plan on ever parting with it and I will always know it was my dad's. Aside from that, I just need to know some places to consider.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 23, 2014

What you have now was your dad's.

Restore it to like-new and you may as well have any stranger's watch that your dad never even looked at.

Just a thought. And I'm not a purist (no screaming here!) I just think if it's ever a question one is considering, all should be left as original as possible with a restoration of function only. The cosmetics can be done when there is no question and you're absolutely sure a full cosmetic (Omega service) is what you desire.

6. fibersport Jan 23, 2014

I understand what you're saying but once you see the pictures you might think a little differently. It's not a total wreck but it really could use a real good sprucing up, the crystal has a few small chips and the hands and face are pretty faded. It'll be a tough decision that will take consdierable thought, finding a reputable watchmaker right now is top on the list though. Now to take a couple of pictures, I hate owing anyone!

7. ulackfocus Jan 23, 2014

Without pictures, how can we be sure what you mean?

Don't touch the dial though!

8. fibersport Jan 23, 2014

OK, here are some shots, I guess it's actually worse than I thought, especially when you look really close. It's obvious my dad really enjoyed his watch ..... he pretty much didn't take it off for probably 30 years, except when he went to sleep. Let's hope these pictures post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stefan likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 23, 2014

That's not too bad, I'd just get a light clean and service the movement. Hard to tell about the dial without a good picture but you know that's what your Dad looked at all those years.

Crystal can be replaced if you can find a spare but you can still see through it.:D

If it was me, I'd get it working correctly and use it as your Dad did, and then pass it on to the next generation to do the same.

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2014

that's a well loved watch :thumbsup:

Defintely get the movement serviced though.

11. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Jan 24, 2014

I'm with you on this one. It's not in mint condition and it holds high sentimental value. I would have it serviced, new crystal and maybe a light polish. It still is your Dad's watch and would look closer to what it looked like when he originally bought it. My 2c

12. pascs Jan 24, 2014

It has plenty of character and the scars it carries are the scars of your father's life with it.

I think the dial and hands just need a clean. A replacement crystal and service of the movement would be a good idea, along with replacement pushers, crown and rear gasket. This should hopefully bring it back to fully working order and water tight.

I would be very careful who you gave it to for the service since you dont want them to replace the dial or hands. It might be possible to get an old orange centre hand which would be a little faded but not as faded as the one currently fitted.

13. fibersport Jan 24, 2014

There's no two ways about it, it has to be serviced. I was looking at pictures of other Mark II's and saw a few variants, most likely because of using what parts were available. I wouldn't mind changing the hands as long as they were the same, as for the dial, I understand that they can be re-done, this one would need at least the hour marks taken care of. As for the case, it has some deep scars that won't ever come out. Overall I think I would agree with everyone, get it cleaned up, working and just enjoy it.

Now the question remains, who to send it to that would take care of it the way I want it taken care of? I think sending it back to Omega is probably not the best option, I ran across picture of a Mark II sent there that had different hands, a different bracelet and a different outer ring under the crystal (sorry, not sure what you call that). While the watch looked good, it didn't look right and actually lost all its character - hard to explain but that was the feeling I got.

So who to go to? I would even consider driving a few hours to drop it off just to talk with the person.

14. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 24, 2014

Wait for the US members of this forum to get the grub out of their eyes! I am sure you will get good advice on a US based watchmaker that can help. Our trusted member Archer is both Omega qualified, and in Canada. I guess, you could ask him to advice you? A PM to him could be a very good move indeed!
    Good luck with a fine Speedmaster! Repair it and clean it up. All out restoration will be a shame IMHO.

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 25, 2014

Rather refinished the dial (which usually turns out bad), why don't you buy a NOS dial ? Few available in Ebay right now. You could always keep the original one.

16. fibersport Jan 25, 2014

That's a good thought, once I find a reliable watchmaker for the repairs, I'll bring that up. First (after the watchmaker) is to get it repaired, then worry about the cosmetics.

17. fibersport Jan 28, 2014

Nobody can make a suggestion on a watchmaker in the Chicago area? How about one in the US?

18. ulackfocus Jan 28, 2014

We have a few Chicago area members. Maybe adam78 or Hijak can offer suggestions.

If you don't mind mailing it, Steve / N2FHL does a lot of work for forum members including me.

19. fibersport Jan 28, 2014

thank you, will consider all leads.