Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Mark II buying advice

1. Alan_C Aug 12, 2017

What should I be looking out for when I'm looking to get a decent 70's mark II speedy?

Are there any common faults or issues with them?

2. davidswiss Aug 12, 2017

The movement is an 861 so fairly bombproof but at almost 50 years old will need a service unless you buy one which has already had one recently.
    The rest is, I think, down to what you want. A totally restored looks like new version or something extremely battered that you buy cheaper and then have restored to a level that you can enjoy. Or anything in between.
    Whatever you decide make friends with a local trusted watchmaker and take it along for an assessment before you decide what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. Remember that if you replace dial, hands, glass and pushers keep the originals in case you want to change back in the future.

Alan_C likes this.
  3. Alan_C Aug 12, 2017

Thanks. I've seen a couple of nights serviced/restored ones that I quite like the look of. It's just a question of price really. I think I'll end up getting one that seem a bit of action, and then get the full service done on it.

I take it a service is going to be between £400-500 on it?

4. davidswiss Aug 12, 2017

I think the people to talk to are STS and Simon Freese who are both in Essex. My own preference is to take the watch to them personally. Firstly you can discuss what you want done and secondly STS is a great place to visit and although I've not seen Simon since he set up on his own I'm sure that his workshop is also worth the trip. If you're nowhere near Essex is there a trusted watchmaker in your area ?

Alan_C likes this.
  5. Alan_C Aug 12, 2017

Funny you should say that, as they exactly the first two places that I was going to take it to when I buy one.

I've no idea about watchmakers in my area at the moment. I'm not averse to taking a little trip to take it to someone who comes highly recommended to get it sorted out properly. [emoji6]

6. davidswiss Aug 12, 2017

Where are you in the UK ? Maybe there's a forum member local to you that could help with a recommendation. If not STS or Simon.

7. Alan_C Aug 12, 2017

I'm in Southport.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

8. Koen Aug 12, 2017

first thing I should look at is the thickness of the case, has it been restored/polished/destroyed before. second state of the dial and hands. third bracelet. movement aside of course.
    if you look at what is available it is very easy to spot the lemons.

Alan_C likes this.
  9. Edwinowl Aug 13, 2017

Alan_C likes this.
  10. Alan_C Aug 13, 2017

Oooh. Thanks for that. Not been in there.

May have a pop into town tomorrow to have a look. [emoji6]

11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 13, 2017

I think the Mark II qualifies as a vintage Omega. You might have better fishing on the Vintage board.

12. Alan_C Aug 13, 2017

Thanks. I couldn't decide whether it was considered as vintage or modern.

Can a mod move this to the vintage section?

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 13, 2017

I think the consensus is if it's over 30 years it's vintage.

Alan_C likes this.
  14. ewand Aug 13, 2017

Check out https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-mark-ii-love.51132/ too, @Alan_C...

Buying advice - basically decide what you like: black dial, racing dial, gold? Do you want pristine or prefer beater?
    Re-lapping a beaten up case will cost about £250-300 and can make a massive difference. Most MkIIs will have enough metal in the case that it's not an issue; if they've been heavily polished previously, then best avoid... so maybe your best bet is to get a dinged up but original looking case, then hand it to STS if you decide you'd prefer it looking spangly.

The Mk II I had relapped is a bit of a mongrel - it's got a modern service dial & hands, so the colours are quite orangey, and it's got a nice sunburst finish now - I really like it, but it's probably not worth as much as I've spent on it.

Alan_C likes this.
  15. Shailor Aug 13, 2017

What years of manufacture would you consider a Mark II?

16. ewand Aug 13, 2017

1969 -74 IIRC

17. Shailor Aug 13, 2017

Thanks! Mine is dated 1992. What Mark would that be considered? I am looking to get it hack from Omega service this week. Can't wait! Will post photos.

18. Koen Aug 13, 2017

Whalberg?

Df13 and Shailor like this.
  19. Koen Aug 15, 2017

Without more info or photos I’d guess you have a 3590.50.00 moonwatch - no mark