Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Mark II Bracelet Clasp Won't Close (1159 Bracelet)

1. garbagemouth Mar 9, 2019

Hi OF,

Figures my first post would be one asking for help.

I have a Speedmaster Mark II that I want to gift my dad. It's all ready, minus a non-closing clasp on the original 1159 bracelet.

Everything looks okay. The clasp doesn't seem broken or missing any parts. Everything folds as it should but it simply doesn't lock despite squeezing the ends together.

I'm not 100% sure how clasps actually click shut. I tried searching to see if there was any information online, but I came up empty-handed. From photos of working 1159 bracelets, mine seems to check out. Same look, no missing parts.

Below are photos of the bracelet and the clasp. The ones with my fingers (sorry) show the clasp being pushed together.

I'm a novice when it comes to watches Is it a matter of bending something into place? Or would 10 minutes at a watch repair take care of this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Photo album
    https://imgur.com/a/v0GChfK

Obligatory vanity shot
    [​IMG]

Clasp before closing
    [​IMG]

Squeezing the two sections together
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chipsotoole Mar 9, 2019

Well it has certainly been through the wars. Is it possible it's not original to the bracelet? I messed around a while back with what I thought were essentially identical clasps in every way , but it turned out they only worked with their given bracelets.

CPRwatch likes this.
  3. simonsays Mar 9, 2019

lando, MRC, fskywalker and 2 others like this.
  4. Davidt Mar 9, 2019

Great profile pic.

@simonsays post above should help you out.

5. JanV Mar 9, 2019

It looks like you have the bracelet too much tightened into (moved too much forward inside) the clasp. If you move the clasp too much in the clasp the thickness of the bracelet doesn’t allow the clasp to close anymore. Try to move the pin for the bracelet a few steps back and try again.

4A97B288-E7B5-4863-8F41-B2E2300A8A8C.jpeg
  6. vienna Mar 10, 2019

Maybe the distance between the nose and the bar the holds the upper clasp is wrong?

Kind regards

B4DA7935-5916-4575-8034-D848CE3E8F7C.jpeg

7. Geezer Mar 10, 2019

Hi there,

It appears to me that the clasp has been assembled in the reversed direction/position. The Omega logo and engraving should be facing outward, when the clasp is open. That means that the bent piece of steel (seen the the picture right above) can catch in the hole in the opposing metal piece. I hope I make myself clear.

So it appears you need to find a watchmaker to reverse it. One end is held my a spring bar, but it seems the opposite side is riveted.

8. JanV Mar 10, 2019

Thrust me, there’s not enough space on the 1159 or 1162 clasp for the bracelet to be placed / tightened so far inside the clasp. Move the bracelet two steps back and check how it locks then. If the bracelet is too loose from adjusting this on your wrist, then you need to remove one part of the bracelet.

9150AC3A-A1F3-4428-8AFB-4FCB67894C11.jpeg
  9. Geezer Mar 10, 2019

Forget what I wrote about the logo having to face outward.

But the clasp has been assembled incorrectly. The bent piece of steel has to face the opposing hole, not the inside of the clasp.

Please see this example and pay attention to the bent steel prong. *That* is the part that actually tightens the clasp.
    mens-omega-dynamic-watch-case-parts_360_35915a122a828c76131a8b059e3645f6.jpg

10. simonsays Mar 10, 2019

Whatever you do don’t start bending the prong. This will lead to much frustration. It is better to follow the instructions in the leaflet

Your buckle is mounted correctly. I think @Geezer is looking at it upside down

11. Geezer Mar 10, 2019

No, the buckle shown in the Rolex instruction has a different closing mechanism. It's not the same. If you look carefully at the Rolex buckle (and most common folding buckles), the clasp with logo has a fold that clips onto the other side.

This particular Omega buckle doesn't have this metal fold on the clasp (see picture 3 of the original post). It's the prong that should do the same, but it's assembled incorrectly.

lando likes this.
  12. Geezer Mar 10, 2019

13. MRC Mar 10, 2019

Might not cover the OP's Omega bracelet but this is exactly the clasp on my 1967 Oyster bracelet! Thank you, very useful.

14. Geezer Mar 10, 2019

You're right, it is useful. And bending the folding buckle to tighten the clasp will actually also work for the OP's buckle if everything is in working order.

Having said that, unless the overexposure in the OP pictures makes one of the prongs invisible, something seems broken.

Jeez, sorry for all the confusion. Looking at these sort of things in person is so much easier...

Anyway, a careful comparison with the pictures in the link posted above should hopefully solve things.

15. simonsays Mar 10, 2019

Exactly right! There is a metal tab on both parts of the bracelet so one side looks like the other in a pic. It is very confusing and a mirror image of itself. The OP’s clasp is correct though, but might be missing a tab?