Forums Latest Members
  1. moviedude Aug 27, 2016

My first post.
    I own a Rolex GMT Master II, a Baume and Mercier Capeland and a Breitling Aerospace. Recently I've become attracted to the Speedmaster that "went to the moon". Please excuse my ignorance but is this a watch worth collecting as I see so many around? I've always liked chronographs and steel bracelets and the simple look of this watch suits me.

How do I look for the correct model and what should I expect to pay for one in an excellent condition?

2. Andreas Aug 27, 2016

all the answers you are looking for are here http://speedmaster101.com/
    welcome to the forum, set yourself an avatar stay around.
    pics of your collection are always welcome ;)

3. ulackfocus Aug 27, 2016

Look for a flock of Speedmaster Sheep and follow them. They should lead you in the direction you desire. Try not to follow a group of Speedmaster Lemmings though as their destination won't be pleasant.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 27, 2016

Or follow a man who posts more about Squirrels than I do about Speedmasters....:rolleyes:

tpatta, gemini4 and oddboy like this.
  5. Ritzwatch Aug 27, 2016

Hey, if you like it, it is worth collecting. A few tips from my limited experience:

I, too, like the clean look of a Speedy. Having an interest in them, I decided to learn about them. A few google searches kept popping up OF as a resource for my questions. I found myself here, lurking, learning, for a number of months. I found the forum participants to be engaged, informed and helpful. I also found they were far more likely to help those who have demonstrated they have put forth at least a beginners-level of research rather than reaching out to soak up the years of experience and knowledge at the first question asked. Put simply, these guys don't need to show off to feel secure in what they know, and they will be a tremendous resource if you are looking for a Speedy.

As for me, to begin my search, I came here to read about Speedies. I learned about pre-moons, moons, and all the more affordable categoriees of post-moons. I found there was a wide range of prices, generally $2k for an automatic reduced to 12k for an authentic moon watch. I learned about hesalite vs sapphire, rhodium vs gold gilded, the difference between 321/861/863/1861/1863, why I might want tritium markers instead of superlume, whether I want a display case back, etc.

After reading and reading, I finally joined the forum last month, as you have recently, mainly because I could then use the search function to find out even more. In the end, I have also found enjoyment and entertainment reading the witty give and take between the community here. I have yet to make my formal intro in the appropriate thread, mainly because I am afraid that divulging too much information will open me up to having a design label formed in my name to introduce a new line of sweaty leather watch bands, because I may find pictures of squirrels in responses to my posts, or because I am too ashamed that I have slept through all my sunrise pictures (t least when it is not hunting season), or even because I am loathe to put pictures of myself on the internet. However, I have learned a little from these folks each time on here.

There is a lot too learn, but the process is Type-A fun at its best. I think you will find the answer to your question is more complex than one would intially think. Because of that, I would respectfully suggest you spend a little time here researching Speedies and then re-asking your question. The answers you get will make more sense, and, ultimately, what you want is what YOU want, not what some other person, regardless of how well informed, tells you that you should get.

My answer: A 3572.50, tritium lume, prefer the rhodium plated, but would be happy with the gold. The tritium patina is more important to me than the display. Now I am saving so hopefully I can get one at the right price for a mid-decade birthday next summer. (If everything aligns, I will even find that here on the sales forum from one of the fine members whose expertise I have gleaned.)

Good luck on your journey. I can't wait to see what you get.

Enjoy,

ahartfie, 72c, STANDY and 5 others like this.
  6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 27, 2016

This thread needs a photo:

Here is a late 145022-69

P9020002-001.jpg

ahartfie, Davidt, 72c and 4 others like this.
  7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 27, 2016

@Ritzwatch

Welcome to the community.

My first Omega was the 3572.50. l bought it 4+ years ago. Back then I had no idea about tritium vs luminova, I just wanted the crystal case back.

After being here 4 + years I still own the 3572 speedy, as well as several others. Mine is tritium, which I prefer and more importantly is a birth year for my youngest.

IMG_20160714_072520.jpg

Ritzwatch, ahartfie, sky21 and 3 others like this.
  8. moviedude Aug 27, 2016

My GMT Master II:
    [​IMG]

And my Capeland:
    [​IMG]

gemini4 and Andreas like this.
  9. sky21 Aug 27, 2016

If you are interested in vintage, a mid 70's 145.022 is old enough to still be considered vintage by most, but hasn't had a dramatic price explosion like earlier references. Here's a photo of my 145.022-76, which can still be found for under $3k.

image.jpeg

10. 72c Aug 27, 2016

+1 for the 1970s Speedmasters as a great way to start, I had the same thought and settled for a MK2 as I thought they represented the best value as far as vintage Speedies go. But one's never enough is it? So I then bought 3x 70s 145.022s followed within 6 months and it didn't stop there.

In some ways the harder question isn't where to start, but where to stop.

A couple of general rules
    1. The older you go the more you pay (usually)
    2. Regardless of reference most important thing to seek out is originality

For specific questions about a particular watch, this forum is as good a place as any to ask them. Good luck!

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 27, 2016

Are they worth collecting. Well Speedmaster is currently the 2nd most searched term on eBay.

They are very versatile watches at a modern size. They have also been appreciating at a good clip the last few years.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 27, 2016

Oh, sorry. That was me.

ahartfie, Davidt, Taddyangle and 8 others like this.
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 27, 2016

And I just sold one, too cheap, again.
    ::facepalm1::
    I blame Mrs Fruit and her interior dec plans

14. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 27, 2016

Dibs on the GMT II :thumbsup:

moviedude likes this.
  15. Ritzwatch Aug 27, 2016

Here is to hoping she needs a master bath remodel, say, next August! ;)

moviedude likes this.
  16. 72c Aug 27, 2016

So as well as improving quality of life and those other things the Maddox grail guy talked about, Speedmasters can also be used for home improvement + keeping wives happy (if sold, but we'll overlook that part).

I'd say it's time to get involed OP

17. moviedude Aug 28, 2016

Forgot these two that I wear as "daily" watches.
    Luminox Navy Seal:
    [​IMG]

Breitling Aerospace:
    [​IMG]

Spacefruit likes this.