Forums Latest Members
  1. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jan 13, 2016

Good day gents,

Please assist me in evaluating the below Speedmaster that has been offered to me. Pictures from the seller:

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0143 - Copy.JPG
    A guy offered this speedy to me as a '66 Speedmaster with a cal 861 movement. I'm no expert but I know that is incorrect. What I can pick up from the pictures is that the case, bezel (I think) and caseback are from a 105.003-65 as noted by the caseback reference and the straight lugs. The movement and dial however do not fit this due to the serial number starting 32xxxxxx and also the fact that there is no applied Omega logo (initial observation). If I go according to Speedmaster101's quick serial reference, then the movement belongs to as early a watch as the 145.022-71 while another reference I found on the Maddox site cites a date as early as '73.

I must apologise to all the members who offer advice and assistance as I have not done as much homework as I should have before posting but the offer has caught me unawares and I don't have much time to make up my mind. I will however continue to research by myself tonight to make amends for this.

It is being offered at approximately US$1800. The seller has apparently installed new pushers, hands and bezel (I assume photo is of original bezel and not yet the replacement) but will provide me with all the original parts that have been removed. I have requested a pictures of all the parts but I am still awaiting this. No bracelet included. Is there enough value here to warrant taking a chance on it? My head says no because I'm not educated enough and want a decent example but my OF-bug-bitten-heart says buy everything that is offered to me to accumulate as much as I can.

Thank you in advance for looking and helping.

2. abrod520 Jan 13, 2016

Well, this one would be quite the project. You'll need an original dial, handset, and movement. No small feat to acquire those...

Assuming the original pushers are correct for the reference, you'll still end up with what looks like a heavily polished case... This one would be better off being parted-out.

3. LawBrk Jan 13, 2016

Well as your gut says, definitely a Frankenwatch. Parts from all sort of eras but as a parts piece it might not be bad. Dial, movement, hands, and bezel may get you close to the asking price alone?

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 13, 2016

agree with others, this is a weird beast.

...however, for the price, i could use all of the component parts! send the seller my way!

;)

definitely a parts watch. it would take too much (time/money) to get this close to right.

5. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Jan 13, 2016

Thank you gentleman! The head wins and the money I don't have will stay where I would have taken it from.

6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 13, 2016

No seriously, send him my way!

;)

Etp095, bazamu and LawBrk like this.
  7. LawBrk Jan 13, 2016

Dibs!

8. repoman Jan 13, 2016

[​IMG]

Etp095 likes this.