Forums Latest Members
  1. djmusicman Mar 16, 2015

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on speedmaster hands on Tritium watches. For example, this 80's speedy is mint, lovely patina on the dial, bezel looks great. The only thing i don't like on these kind of watches is the degraded look of the hands. So, my question is, would you: 1. replace with superluminova hands 2. get the hands restored or 3. leave it alone?

Thanks

speedy hands 1.JPG
  2. ock2915 Mar 16, 2015

Personally I would leave them as are now, shows the life of the watch

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 16, 2015

Those I would leave.

If were a lot worse there are sympathetic restorers out there.

The one thing I would not do is fit SL.

4. Tjmmartin Mar 16, 2015

Any sympathetic restorers in the UK you could recommend?....or is that not the done thing?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2015

Definitely wouldn't replace, can get it stabilised without replacing the lume with simulated tritium, that's probably where I'd go.

6. speedycamau Mar 16, 2015

please do not touch... when you go vintage, these are the things that give the watch it's character

travisrock likes this.
  7. Delbok Mar 16, 2015

+1 with previous advices, it makes a lot of the value of the watch and as Spacefruit mentionned they are not that bad

Cortezthekiller and travisrock like this.
  8. KIMBER Mar 16, 2015

Keep them as is. Good looking watch.

travisrock likes this.
  9. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Mar 16, 2015

Just to add to the consensus - I wouldn't think of touching these and would leave them as is.

travisrock likes this.
  10. travisrock Mar 16, 2015

As it's been said a few times before- leave them be. Makes this speedy different from any other speedy out there! Plus, it would lose originality, thus decreasing value (on top of destroying its unique character)

11. repoman Mar 16, 2015

Count me in the don't touch a thing category. I've been where you are, the desire of making your watch look like brand new, so I do sympathize with that. The problem is that you will be taking away something special from this watch, its originality, and as the years pass, the originality is what will set this piece apart from the other 99% that did get replacement hands. If you want the new look, get a second speedy that is SL and keep this baby just the way it is, its beautiful.

12. Tjmmartin Mar 17, 2015

My comment "is that not the done thing?" does not relate to changing the hands which clearly I feel should be left as they are! It relates to giving recommendations of who is good at reluming in the UK ( I work in a profession where historically it has been frowned upon to recommend professionals ). I have a Speedmaster where it is unfortunately too late, it has SL hands. I could try and find Tritium hands but rocking horse s**t springs to mind! I don't intend selling the watch so am not looking to hoodwink an unsuspecting buyer! Purely from an aesthetic point of view it would be nice to age the hands with a tritium look. Any advice - I'm sure there will be!?

13. Tjmmartin Mar 17, 2015

I seem to make a habit of this. Had a similar problem with my 168.004 that I naively sent to Bierne. I bought my 105.003 a few years ago from a reputable UK vintage watch shop, agreed for it to be serviced before delivery by a heavily recommended set up ( on this forum - but won't mention names ). Came back with SL hands, not on original sale particulars. In retrospect should not have accepted the watch....you live and learn. Any servicing in future and I will be very specific about what I want.

14. watchlovr Mar 17, 2015

STS do fantastic relluming in a vintage style, probably only part of a service though. Phone first, ask for Simon.

15. Tjmmartin Mar 17, 2015

Thanks watchlovr
    Cheers
    Tim

16. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Mar 18, 2015

I'm not a collector. Replace the dial and hands with new service parts.

Tom

17. Tjmmartin Mar 19, 2015

If you do take Toms advice I'd be more than happy to have the dial and hands rather than you putting them in the bin.......I'd even be willing to pay postage!!

18. djmusicman Mar 25, 2015

Thanks for all your replies, nice to have your opinions. This one isn't my watch, my watch will arrive soon! I'm enjoying being a member of this forum, thanks guys.

19. rogart ray it again, Ram. Mar 25, 2015

Please let us have a picture of your watch .::confused2::

20. djmusicman Mar 25, 2015

Now way, it's top secret ;) Actually, my new watch is in transit from Austrailia to France, the wait is killing me. I'll post some pics when it arrives :thumbsup:

rogart likes this.