Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Hand Alignment

1. m.martinez818 Mar 27, 2021

Hello Everyone!

I would love to get everyones advice on what I should do. I just bought a brand new 1861 Speedmaster from an AD last week. I notice that the hand on the hour subdial does not align perfectly at the 12 o clock marker. As you can see in the photos it sits slightly to the right. There is a service center that is about 20 minutes from me. Since this is a new watch I could very easily go and drop it off to have it aligned. However, this watch is CRAZY accurate. Over the past two days it has only lost 2 seconds. This speedy keeps better time than any rolex i have ever had. Im scared that if they open it up I might be creating a cascade of other problems. Should I just leave it as is or is this an easy enough fix to have the service center do?

Photo for reference:

IMG_9292.PNG
  2. SkunkPrince Mar 27, 2021

They can reset the hand without affecting the timekeeping. You might also let it go until your first service. There are merits to either alternative, and there are no wrong answers; it comes down to what you choose to do based on how you think/feel about it.

3. bthUK Mar 28, 2021

I would show and email the AD so they have a record of the fault being there from new. I imagine it just needs the hand resetting, but you never know.

4. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Mar 28, 2021

i had same issue with my Apollo 8, exchanged it 4 times, and still the hands not aligned . Then OB send it to HQ in Sweitzer land for the issue, and the shock was when i got a letter from them saying this is normal issue in 1861 caliber. i have the report from them and i can share it . What they wrote is indeed reflects how poor they are in their Quality. I have immediately requested for a refund.

5. Evitzee Mar 28, 2021

I have an Apollo 8 and it exhibits this same phenomenon, its been that way since I got it two years ago. I cannot obsess over things like this. I have other Speedmasters that have the hour counter hand doing the same thing. Again, I just can't be bothered since it doesn't affect the use or readability of the watch.

6. Omeg@007 BLACK & ORANGE rule!!! Mar 28, 2021

To me, i must get what i paid for. Honestly, seeing these misalignment , feels like wearing cheap/replica watches.

BobertStoops likes this.
  7. Rado63 Mar 28, 2021

In the photo you have started the chronograph function. The 12 hour indictor will begin to rotate toward the 1 hour mark and will be off the 12 before 5 minutes have been reached. Your watch may be functioning correctly. The hour marker is not like the minute marker which drops after the minute has elapsed. If in doubt it is in under warranty, send it in.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 29, 2021

Check it when reset, not when the chronograph has been moved.