Forums Latest Members
  1. HuxleyBaratta Feb 25, 2016

Hello to everyone. I spent yesterday evening going through a lot of the content on this forum and have to say I'm impressed. As many do, I'm here seeking guidance. I apologize firstly for the lengthy post. My father passed away several years ago and his estate went to me. He was a passionate watch man and owned many, of all types and brands. Most of these I've given to interested family members and I kept a vintage Rolex for myself. Recently I uncovered another watch that I'd only seen once in my life as my father kept it in his office safe. Not being as enamoured of watches as my dad I didn't really know what it was. I took it to the watchmaker my father used and he opened it up. It turns out to be an Omega Speedmaster CK2915-1. The watch man advised me that it's a very sought after watch. I don't think my father ever wore it as the watchmaker stated that in his opinion it's in like new condition and has never been serviced. To my uneducated eye it looks like something that would be in the new case at a modern store. I believe my father bought it sometime in 1959, shortly after having left the service and getting married to my mother. As I said before I have seen it once, maybe twice in my life. Fast forward to now. I've decided to sell the watch as I could use a financial infusion right now and sentimentality is not an issue as I have many other momentoes of my dad's life. The watchmaker told me that it would need to be oiled given its age and he quoted me a price of $500. Because I don't have the money available right now he agreed to service it and receive payment after I sell it. I related to him the advice I've read about on here about doing absolutely nothing to it except a clean and lube and that's what he agreed to do. I have a couple questions about actually selling it. Should I go the Ebay route and hope for the best? Is there another venue I should consider? Any other thoughts/advice? I apologize for the absence of pictures. I neglected to snap some while at the watch shop and I will include several in the next couple days when I can make it out there. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. mozambique Feb 25, 2016

ebay, Sotheby's, someone on this forum - take your pick the world is literally your oyster!
    (You're not from Peru are you?)

Prash15, KstateSkier and Spacefruit like this.
  3. Javi22 Feb 25, 2016

::popcorn::

4. gophishin Feb 25, 2016

this has to be the ultimate ::popcorn:: thread....

First of all, welcome, you're in the right place.
    Second, get the watch back from the repair person. Anyone that is interested in this piece, assuming it's genuine and correct, will gladly pay for a service of their choosing. You risk devaluing the watch more than you do helping it in this case.
    Third, pictures to authenticate it would be very helpful, if you truly have what you're describing, going the route of a large auction house like Christie's might be the ticket.

noelekal likes this.
  5. g-boac Feb 25, 2016

::popcorn::

Edited Feb 25, 2016
    KstateSkier likes this.
  6. Davidt Feb 25, 2016

I'm going to resist getting excited about this until I see some pictures.

I really would listen to the advice above and halt any further work. Unserviced, original condition is preferable in this instance.

If pictures prove this to be a largely original and correct 2915-1, I wouldn't go near ebay. For the amount of money we're talking about a private, brokered sale, or a major auction house would be the best route.

gophishin likes this.
  7. alam Feb 25, 2016

Edited Feb 25, 2016
    KstateSkier and gophishin like this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 25, 2016

Oh no, please dont remind me....

I put my hands up, I was one of the buyers of that.

I felt really, really stupid. Thought I was the only one. I have discovered at least six other people who actually sent money but choose not to admit it openly.

Lets all learn from that.

Lets see proof of life on this watch before we go on.

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 25, 2016

Sent a PM offering some insight into avenues for selling...will be a dead giveaway if the user doesn't respond.

And not to me I might add!

joso likes this.
  10. jens0125 knows that watches were made to be worn Feb 25, 2016

Nice to know I am not the only one that makes some mistakes once in awhile..
    If this turns out to be true I will give you my wife and left kidney for the 2915-1...

Already gave those away...
    You can have my right kidney

red crowned likes this.
  11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 25, 2016

Sell the watch and you will have enough $ to then service it 200 times...

12. abrod520 Feb 25, 2016

All I ask is before selling please for the love of God post some tagged photos here. I want to believe

x3no likes this.
  13. smitty190373 Feb 25, 2016

That's a great 1st post by anyone's standards!

KstateSkier and Etp095 like this.
  14. KstateSkier Feb 25, 2016

Oh... this... I HAVE to follow ::popcorn:::coffee:

15. Etp095 Feb 25, 2016

Would really like to see a pic of this time capsul speedmaster.

16. Speedmasterfan88 Feb 25, 2016

I'm in..... ::popcorn::

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2016

Can anyone wanting to follow this click the follow button at the top of the page rather than bumping it unless you're contributing something as not much will happen until the original poster gets back with photos of the piece.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  18. Drawarms Feb 25, 2016

the truth is out there!!!!!!

19. marturx Feb 25, 2016

C'mon guys, isn't this to obvious?

I'm definitely not a Belieber of this story.

Sorry for bumping without contributing with nothing but solid skepticism

20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 25, 2016

Same here. Likely either scam or someone playing. But that's part of why it's entertaining.

And if it proves to be real (0.000000001% chance), than it will be the talk of the Omega World for quite some time. Of course it would also make sense for the owner to approach Omega to see if they want to buy for their museum...

marturx likes this.