Forums Latest Members
  1. wingman87 Mar 2, 2018

Gentleman,
    I recently acquired my first Speedy Pro. It's an unopened example from the 90s running strong and I could not be more happy with it.

There are, however, two curiosities:
    - The reference number seems to have one too many zeroes, and it suggests that the watch originally came on a leather strap. In your opinion, could it be possible that the dealer simply wrote down a wrong number and that this is in fact a 3590.50?
    - The watch came in a box that I have never seen before. The period correct boxes were also grey and made from (deteriorating) faux leather, but this one is larger than the ones I've seen before and there is a strange "stone" inside. Have any of you ever seen this before? Or does this suggest that watch, box and warranty card are somehow not genuine?

I would love to hear what the experts here think about this :)

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  2. neilfrancis Mar 2, 2018

That is a piece of a meteorite, by the look of it.
    (Sorry if you already knew that.)
    I have never seen this set, either.
    Is the stone just loose in box, or set into a 'holder'?

Nice watch btw.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  3. SwissZ Mar 2, 2018

I've seen this box (but I don't remember if it had the mineral set on the inside with a Speedmaster Moonphase Caelendar Reduced. Whether it came originally with that watch, I don't know.

The reference number on the card looks wrong, AFAIK there is no 3890 Moonwatch. Or maybe that is the case reference number and not PIC?

4. wingman87 Mar 2, 2018

Thank you!
    I didn't know that, I was assuming it's just a piece of lead to resemble something from outer space.
    The stone used to be glued to the box where it sits now, but the glue came loose.

Regarding the PIC, I found this on chronomaddox:
    "New reference for the 145.022 (PIC number 3350 B on leather strap and 3351 B on steel bracelet from January 1988, then 3890.50 and 3590.50 since December 1989 then 3870.50 and 3570.50 since 1996) same engraving on caseback as the 145.022"

5. dan7800 Mar 2, 2018

Great looking watch. I will let someone more experienced than I chime in as well, but is a service recommended before wearing on a watch of this age (even if it was truly NOS)?

6. wingman87 Mar 2, 2018

Thats a great question that I would also be interested in! After winding it a few times and just comparing it to my iPhone clock, it seemed to hold the time very well and had a power reserve of ~40h. But I guess I should probably at least have the gaskets renewed?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 2, 2018

If the serial number on the watch matches the one on the card, then your watch is a 38905050, which came on a black strap with a tang buckle.

It looks like someone decided to purchase a bracelet for it.

Yes.

Cheers, Al

8. wingman87 Mar 3, 2018

Serial numbers sure match
    Thanks for all the input!