Forums Latest Members
  1. DesignerV Mar 5, 2014

Hello All,
    (New join/poster but been hanging around learning for a long bit)
    I came across this watch, a good looking 145.012-67 SP, and I noticed the odd bit of extra paint below the first "e" in "Speedmaster". Has anyone seen anything like this? Sorry if the picture is not the best, currently only working with a phone camera....Thanks for any info.
    Vince

TEXT.jpg

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 5, 2014

If you look closely at the pic you can see that the dial has been touched up in that area. Should be like this.

image.jpg

Cheers

3. DesignerV Mar 5, 2014

Thanks for the thought and the picture, and that watch is incredible. I think I have seen that some of the '67s seem to have a fatter font compared to the '66s and earlier ones. Some of the apparent smudging in that first picture is just a reflection of scratch in the crystal I think. Considering that, I just stuck my loupe in front of the phone camera and took this picture. There is a bit of distortion (cheapo loupe), but maybe it will help. It appears, like you said, to be in the paint, I am wondering if there might have been a tiny bubble when it was originally printed. Any further thoughts?

TEXT CLOSE.jpg

4. rolexfantastic Mar 6, 2014

For my eyes, the dial is original and unmolested. The font is correct for the ref. There is no color difference either. I'd say it's just a print error.
    BTW the dial looks gorgeous just like the rest of the watch.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 6, 2014

You can get photos that good with a loupe in front of a phone camera! I know my next purchase!

6. Georgieboy58 Mar 6, 2014

I have to test this as well as soon as I get home today.

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2014

To my eyes, it looks more like a slight retouch - the sort of thing that Omega might do if a flake of paint had come off the dial. Omega still have the correct dies & can touch up without there being any colour difference.

8. DesignerV Mar 6, 2014

Thank you all for the further insight. This question had me on the fence about keeping the watch, but I think I will, followed by service in the near future.
    I was also able to (very nervously) clean off the dirt on the top-right side of the bezel too.

I took that pic with my 10x Bausch & Lomb Loupe that I got off Amazon for 10$, and my iphone 4 camera.
    Feel free to post your test pics here!

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2014

Even if it is a little retouch of the paint that isn't a reason to sell the watch. I have had tiny spots like that retouched & it doesn't affect anything.

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 6, 2014

A bit off-topic, but I thought the photo through the loup was pretty good. Cheapo loup at $10, yes. But B&L is a quality optic in my experience.
    Will be trying this simple and obvious technique soon!

11. DesignerV Mar 6, 2014

Ah yep, didn't mean to imply poor quality, just the low price, as I rather enjoy that Loupe.
    If you have any success taking photos with that method, feel free to post here, would like to see!

12. g-boac Mar 7, 2014

one of the best dot-over-90 bezels I've seen, too. Dial looks quite nice too. Factor that into the price you'll offer and go for it!!

13. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

14. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 9, 2014

Does anyone else think the word Omega looks different...?

I'm always used to see pre 145.012 like the 105 and 2998 dials which have a thinner print from what I see then again I'm not x10 zoomed in

15. DesignerV Mar 9, 2014

Hmm, a fair question worthy of researching.
    I had compared it to the font shown under "Early Professional's" on this page:
    http://chronomaddox.com/speedy_dial_details.html
    (I hope it is ok to put a link here?)
    Appears to me that the other lines of font match that category, but those pictures are really small.
    I agree with you that the 105.012 and earlier do seem to have a thinner font, but that's just from what I've seen (which, isn't a whole lot).
    Maybe some folks will have more input.

16. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

This is my 145.022-69 if this helps.
    [​IMG]

17. DesignerV Mar 9, 2014

Thanks!
    I clicked through a few times to get to the full size image. That watch (and your collection) are really nice!
    Looking at it, it looks like a different version of the dial though.
    One noticeable difference is the T SWISS MADE T at the bottom seems spaced differently.
    I think a closer match is the first watch you posted.
    Who knows, maybe they just pressed down a little bit harder when making it and it got a little fatter?

18. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

Oooh, I thought my account was set to private. Didn't think you could see other pics. I will have to take a close up of my 66 when I get home from work and see how similar that is.

19. DesignerV Mar 9, 2014

Oh I just meant I just kept clicking on it until I got to the full resolution version. Was not able to view other pictures than what was posted.
    Was commenting on your collection just based on what is being shown in your other "incoming" thread here.

20. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 9, 2014

Ah. No problem. Thanks:)