Forums Latest Members
  1. ivarb Mar 5, 2017

I'm looking for a gift for my sons 18th birthday and have decided upon a watch which is of good quality, value for the money and will keep its value in the future (vintage market). My budget is around 3-3.500 USD and so far I've ended up with either a Speedmaster FOIS or a Railmaster. The last one is out of production as I understand, but it seems possible to find a almost new one in the second-hand market. So - which one to choose?

2. alam Mar 5, 2017

If I was the one giving the watch, the most important question I would ask myself is which style my son will like/enjoy more? A watch of a more formal/dressy look? or a watch that's more of a sporty style? Both are excellent choices and your budget should allow for either a BNIB FOIS or a pre-owned, in nice condition Railmaster. I would not be thinking too much about its future value (vintage market? that's what? 40 years down the road? no one knows that answer either) --- just get the watch style that he will enjoy wearing without thinking future valuation.

BTW, if it was me receiving the watch at 18 y/o, then I'd pick the FOIS :)

Tritium likes this.
  3. Tritium Mar 5, 2017

Both are beautiful watches and I'm agree with Adam, it depends more on your son's style.
    While I prefer the FOIS, I would also take a look at the 150m water resist on the railmaster vs 50m on the speedmaster.
    IMG_6922.PNG IMG_6923.PNG

oddboy likes this.
  4. terpits Mar 5, 2017

Never been a fan of the FOIS. But the Speedmaster is so versatile and is most accurate watch I've ever had. I love my Railmaster too but go for the FIOS.

IMG_4369.JPG
  5. AnotherDon Mar 5, 2017

I agree with Adam. You should be asking your son.

When my sons were about that age, the older boy "borrowed" a Seamaster America's Cup from my collection. A couple of years later his younger brother "borrowed" a white dialed Seamaster GMT. The only times since that I've seen my watches were on their wrists. You never really know what would catch their eye.

6. ivarb Mar 5, 2017

Thank you very much for good advices! It's a bit risky to ask a 17 year old kid which one he likes best.... But to me the FOIS looks more versatile and actually has a nicer retro look. Qualitywise maybe the Railmaster is a better watch wit its modern co-axial solution. Hard choices...

7. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2017

FOIS!

Proper stunner, just a shame its a tad small on my wrist :(

8. terpits Mar 5, 2017

I agree. When I was a teenager, I chose a Swatch over a Tag Heuer. He'll probably do better than I did but I wish I didn't have to choose back then.

9. 2nastie Mar 5, 2017

Beautiful gift you are considering. I think the FOIS would suit perfectly for your son. They'll learn to appreciate the heritage as young guys mature.

It's a beautiful piece! Gor for that for sure imo!