Forums Latest Members
  1. Freedom7 Jul 11, 2018

Hi all: I have a Speedmaster First Omega in Space and I would like to have that spade subdial hand switched out for a traditional white stick hand to match the other two subdial hands (like the original 2998-4 Speedy). I would also want the replacement hand to be an Omega OEM part.

Can I get some recommendations for a reputable watch person to do this? I live outside of Boston, but can also send it out if necessary.

Thanks very much, MIke

2. gdupree Jul 11, 2018

Amen. The different hand on the seconds subdial has always bugged me.

If you are able to find the hand yourself, literally any watchmaker should be able to replace the hand. Members around here could surely help you with the part number for those hands, or you could just search around and I doubt it's too hard to find... If you want the watch maker to find the part for you, then you probably need to find a watch maker with an Omega parts account.

Edit: Here's a single hand on ebay currently. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Om...469019?hash=item4b485afa1b:g:qZEAAOSwuyNbEYP-Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

3. Donn Chambers Jul 11, 2018

If you do this, just make sure you are outside the warranty period, because doing this will void the Omega warranty. I've never been upset over the choice of the metal hand on the 60 seconds sub-dial. I like that it disappears relative to the white chronograph hands. Omega has done something similar on numerous chronographs in the past (flightmasters and Speedmasters), so it doesn't bother me in the least. But everyone has their own likes/dislikes.

I'm just glad they didn't make all the subdial hands metal.

4. Freedom7 Jul 11, 2018

Thank you!

5. ac106 Jul 11, 2018

European Fine Watch Boston
    Shreve Crump and Low Boston (Omega AD)
    Yuri on Newbury Street Boston
    Watertown Watch & Clock Repair (actually in newton)
    Boston Watch & Clock Repair Jewelers Building Downtown Crossing Boston
    Royal Jewelers in Andover (Omega AD)
    Barry Marcus in Milford if he hasn't retired
    Plus I think Barmakian in Framingham has a fulltime watchmaker (Omega AD)

The ADs will be able to get the part for you also. Something to consider

6. ac106 Jul 11, 2018

is this confirmed?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2018

Yes

8. ac106 Jul 11, 2018

they will actually void your warranty and not just change the hand back to original and charge you? what if an AD fitted the wrong part by accident?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2018

If you had an OB do it with receipt your fine.

10. KstateSkier Jul 11, 2018

Good change. That's always bothered me to an extent. You know what else would look good? A lollipop second hand!

11. ac106 Jul 11, 2018

Agreed I am hoping they followup the Trilogy Speedmaster with an updated FOIS that has hesalite, aged lume and a lollipop

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2018

If you can find a boutique that will violate Omega rules, then I think the boutique would be providing the warranty from there on out. I suppose they could change the hand back before they sent it to Omega, but that would rely on someone breaking the rules twice...

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2018

Boutiques have made similar changes without warranty implications though. Who has the lollipop on the SM300? Bracelet clasp changes... PO bezel swaps.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2018

So you know for a fact that someone has had an issue with a watch after such a mod was made, and Omega had no problems fixing it under warranty?

15. sevenhelmet Jul 11, 2018

What's a "Speedy FOIA"?

Did you get the US Government to release some info on the Speedy under FOIA?

:whistling:;)

BlackTalon likes this.
  16. Donn Chambers Jul 11, 2018

But an OB will probably not do it, because it is modifying the watch to something Omega hasn't (and doesn't sell). Any opening of the watch by anyone (even a watchmaker) not connected to an authorized Omega Service Center voids the warranty. Changing the bracelet clasp is NOT the same as uncasing the movement from the watch, removing the dial, replacing a hand, then recasing a movement. Lots can go wrong there, which is why it wouldn't be covered.

Surprisingly, most manufacturers void the warranty if someone other than an authorized center has opened the item and messed with the internals. :)

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 11, 2018

I know the Costa Mesa OB has done bezel and hand swaps of parts ordered through them and warranty never entered into the conversation.
    Look I’m not saying all OB’s will do it as many are afraid to swap clasps. But it has been done and it’s good practice to verify the warranty is retained.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 11, 2018

So no then. If warranty never entered the conversation, how do you know it would still be honoured?

This is a clear violation of Omega policies, so although the boutique may not be be bringing up warranty, I'm pretty sure Omega will if something goes wrong. I'm all for people being able to do what they want with their watches, but I would be careful advising others that as long as a boutique does it that warranty will not be compromised, because I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Cheers, Al

Foo2rama and Donn Chambers like this.
  19. Gruesome Jul 14, 2018

So if you have the hands changed on an Omega, the manufacturer's warranty no longer applies? In the USA, wouldn't the Magnuson-Moss law still require Omega to fix any faults not caused by the hands change for the duration of their original warranty?

20. Donn Chambers Jul 14, 2018

According to the Magnuson-Moss law ( from the Wikipedia page)

“Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:
    • may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty”
    The key phrase here is “unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty”

I am pretty sure Omega (and Apple, and thousands of other manufacturers) explicitly state the warranty is void unless service is performed by an approved technician. Having a different hand on the watch than it came with is pretty clear evidence that a non-approved tech worked on the watch.

But feel free to do this. If something goes wrong and Omega won’t honor the warranty, a good lawyer only costs a few hundred dollars an hour and I’m sure this won’t take long to resolve if you have to take the case to court. <sarcasm off>