Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster... First Omega on space or an automatic??

1. Peppe Apr 22, 2014

Hi,

I have done quite a few postings on this fantastic forum, starting off with looking for a vintage dress watch but now really decided on buying a Speedmaster instead :)

My wrists are very small, so a Pro is unfortunately out of the question. I need a Speedmaster with around 40mm diameter but still keeping some of the looks of the Pro.

I really love the "First Omega in Space". Really beautiful! Also it is at least CLOSE to being a moon watch and the history that comes with it. Love the leather strap so I will go for that with which ever Speedy that I will buy!I Even decided to get one, when I again started thinking... :)

- Would an automatic be better for me?

- Would I use it more since they are more user friendy with no winding business going on or would I be disapointed since it is lacking the history. I don't want to buy something and then be too afraid or too lazy to use it.

- Can I find an automatic with a good movement (3304? 1164?) and similar looks to the Pro at a more "favourable" price?

- What is the long term value of an automatic vs a FOIS? The Pro holds the value, but what about FOIS?

- If I go for an automatic; which one should I go for looking at the criterias above (40mm, good movement, long term value, similar looks to the Pro)???

You see... I just can't decide!!! It drives me crazy. A pleasant problem, but still a problem. This post is a bit of a desperate try to finally decide.

Any input to help me decide? FOIS or an automatic and more important; if an automatic which one?!

I know there is no correct answer since it is all up to me and my preferences, but many of you have owned several Speedmasters so maybe you can share your own experiences.

Cheers!

hansmaulwurf likes this.
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 22, 2014

Id go FOIS. Winding it every day is not a big deal if you are wearing it.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

FOIS, winding is something you do often while wearing, the PR is 2 days and change so its not really an issue

4. Jimmy Jim Apr 22, 2014

My vote... FIOS.

IMAG05742.jpg

5. Peppe Apr 23, 2014

Thanks for the responses. I might just go ahead and get one then. I think I need to make my self wear it to some extent... a bit pedantic... so I will be terrified to scratch it! :) But I am not looking to get some decoration for a bookshelf either so...

How sensitive are these watches in terms of scratches... I'm thinking maybe mainly on the black surface on the bezel. Looks sensitive.

Do you guys wear your more expensive watches on a daily basis or just for "special occassions"?

What do you think about the long term value of a FOIS compared to the Pros' which are rock solid in value?

6. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Apr 23, 2014

Hi Peppe,

i have 3 Speedys, the old Mark2, a 2012 Pro and the FOIS ... well there are some differences, but they are not to big. I wear them alternately all the time, every day, while i am working in the office, in the nature or under my oldtimers, in the shower and in the holydays while skiing or swimming or doing a lot of other things ... so realy every day, every minute, every second, except the time while changing the watch :)

You see:

All 3 are maually winded watches, that is realy not a problem (for nobody), you will catch youself doing it more often than you really need and wondering that there are only 2 revolutions able to wind them up ... sometimes even more, but there are totally 2 and a bit more days time to do this again - you wount forget!

The Mark2 was my first Speedy, a present from my dad who has got this watch from his dad ... they also used to wear them every day in every situation. Yes, the Mark2 even had some scratches and also one brocken glas, but the service from omega will bring you back a completely new looking watch - every time you send the watches home to omega!
    The Speedy Pro was a spontaneiously sale, while bringing the Mark2 to the dealer for the service ... and i see one big difference in addition to the different design: The glas is not cristal, its hesalite - so plexi! But has no advatage or disadvatage while wearing the watch!
    And: Yes it gets more scratches and even faster, but I can get them out by my self or with 10€ at my near omega dealer withing minutes without the need to send them into central service for one or even more weeks (changing the hole glas).
    The FOIS is a well done nice looking watch with the one difference to my other two Speedies, that it has an vintage very good look and lovely lovely looking overall composition ... and a leather strap (my other omegas were steel brackets) ... but: I do not see a big difference in the comfort feeling or the way the watch can be used in the daily life. I see it depends on the personel preference!
    One little difference at least: the leather gets slower dry after the shower ;-)
    So you have to check these things (of the two said favorites):

1. Saphire (FOIS) vs. Hesalite (Pro)

... if you want to avoid little scratches in the glas take the FOIS, but you need to know if the saphire gets one which realy needs violence, it takes time and money to repair this! I see no big difference in an overall view! Note: The Pro is also available with Saphire ... if you want to have it (but this is really not my favourite, because it is not only the glas that changes, its also an other movement if you took saphire)

2. To keep a manual watch going on is not a trick (you will not forget that - really!)

... and the Speedy (both watches if you see) thank theire survival from the still maual winded calibre/movement!

3. Leather strap vs. Steel strap

... that is not a question of FOIS vs. Pro ... every watch can be set with both types of strap

4. Fear of scratches onto the casing

... you will have that at every watch (please do not take the "Dark Side Of The Moon" if you have that fear ;-))

5. I would catch the FOIS in that case (if you dont get both)!

... first of all it looks much better than the todays Pro (that is very very personall!), you have the chance to increase the value because it is even a numbered edition (yes its not limited, but still numbered), this watch will not be able to buy "new" in 5 years, like the Pro (you still can catch up a Pro later on) and you get a very cool looking special box with the FOIS which you will then put into your cupboard and never take a second look at it again :D

So its your choice: Maybe this could help a bit to confuse you totally :D

Best Wishes and get a FOIS (and than yoin the FOIS-Number-Thread)!

Hans

P1040334,1.jpg P1040333,1.jpg P1040329,1.jpg P1040340,1.jpg

Dogmann, Tritium and pascs like this.
  7. Peppe Apr 23, 2014

Hi Hans!

Really appreciate the response! More than I could ask for. I'm now convinced. And after all... I'm just breaking my initial budget with € 2000 so that's ok, right ;-)

I will place the order tonight and join the thread when it lands in Sweden :)

Appreciate the input from all of you!

Per

hansmaulwurf likes this.
  8. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Apr 23, 2014

Hey Peppe,

good - nice if we could have helped you a bit :)

We will see photos of you new goody than later on ...

Best wishes for the purchase and the shipping!

Hans

9. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Apr 28, 2014

Some additional pics to have a better waiting time ;-)

P4280465,1.jpg P4280466,1.jpg P4280468,1.jpg P4280469,1.jpg

10. Peppe Apr 28, 2014

Fantastic :)

Will be shipped to me tomorrow so I can barely wait! :)

hansmaulwurf and Jimmy Jim like this.
  11. Peppe Apr 29, 2014

Hansmaulwurf... I can't find any number thread for the FOIS... is there something wrong with me??

12. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner May 1, 2014

Hey Peppe,

join in here ;-)

http://omegaforums.net/threads/first-omega-in-space-2012-speedmaster.550/

At the end of the thread we are going to find the highest number available, as a hint to the fact of how many of these need to be produced, because someone got the number XXXX ...

Regards and WE WANT PICS OF YOUR FIOS here ;-) Just the Numberphoto in the other thread ;-)

Hans

13. Peppe May 1, 2014

Ahhh... ok... thanks :)

It wil arrive Monday so I will try to sort something out then.

I will for sure not be the highest number though... but still :)

hansmaulwurf likes this.
  14. Peppe May 5, 2014

Ohhhh... my god... I believe I just had a sexual experience with a watch for the first time in my life... looks fantastic :)

Will sort out pictures during the week :)

Tritium likes this.
  15. Peppe May 5, 2014

Yes... It arrived and it is in mint condition... that's what I wanted to say really :)

hansmaulwurf likes this.
  16. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner May 5, 2014

Congrats!!! ... now we want Pictures :)

17. Peppe May 5, 2014

Will be sorted during the week! Thanks!

18. Peppe May 27, 2014

Sorry for the delay! My new FOIS joining me for work today! :)

Love it! And you were right... winding it up is more a joy than a pain in the ass :)

uploadfromtaptalk1401182343675.jpg
    Dogmann, pascs and hansmaulwurf like this.
  19. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner May 27, 2014

Very good! I was shure that i know that you would like this watch - knowing your choice ;-) Congrats! Love it ...

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2014

Don't forget, you have the option of a bracelet with the FOIS as well. :thumbsup:

_1010873.jpg