Forums Latest Members
  1. m84 Dec 2, 2014

Hi guys,

A local omega watch dealer just showed me a very nice looking 1982 145.022 speedie, with correct dial, although the lume on the hour markers seems a bit 'fresh', 1171 bracelet, unpolished and good condition case, the crystal, although no logo on center was nice too, clean movement BUT with the bezel (correct for ref) with a very strong patina. Quite faded with a silvery/grey color. I like all of if but that patina was highly unexpected for me, and the only thing im not sure i like 100%. I mean, i do want patina, but so much so on the bezel? Unfortunately no photos with me...

What are your opinions on the matter? Im almost ready to take the plunge and it would be my first.!

Any comment is welcome, thanks!

Lou

2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 2, 2014

Really do need pics to get an opinion.

But if the dial looks age appropriate, like this one:

[​IMG]
    then I wouldn't worry... but it IS personal preference...this one is being sold by one of our OmegaForum members, now 'on hold pending funds'...

give us Pics, PICS!

Darlinboy likes this.
  3. m84 Dec 2, 2014

Hey dougiedude, thanks for the reply.
    Yes the bezel is very similar to that one but definitely not so scratched and more silvery as opposed to brownish.
    I did manage to get one pic, but as it was closing time and my phone sucks big time, it's terrible. But i think you can almost make the color.
    [​IMG]

I kinda like it and i think it can grow on me, but in my mind i always pictured a darker bezel for my first speedie!
    But then again, originally i was looking for a 1984 model also so... :p

4. Davidt Dec 2, 2014

Faded bezels look amazing

image.jpg
  5. Davidt Dec 2, 2014

But if you have your heart set on a black bezel, a faded one just might not do it. Give it a couple if days...

6. m84 Dec 2, 2014

This is true but then again, as i said before, i was also looking for a another year too... just this one ticks almost all the boxes for me! And unfortunately, I know that it will certainly disappear by the end of the week. :(
    On the upside, the seller says that he could make me a deal: if and when he does get a model from the year i want, I could 'exchange' it with this one, if i prefer, as he only deals with used/vintage watches and welcomes his own sales back gladly... (his words of course)
    Oh decisions, decisions!
    Thanks!

7. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 2, 2014

I really, REALLY like this, ::love:: ... so beautiful :rolleyes:

Details?!? Year, Calibre, soon for Sale?;)

Dibs!!?!

8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Dec 2, 2014

Why is the year so important? Is it because you are looking for a 'birth year'?

Have patience for that, if it is, and have patience to get what you love...

9. m84 Dec 2, 2014

Yep, that was the main reason, really... But i was already considering accepting any nearer to the date watch for ex. 83-85. Anyway, ill sleep on it tonight! ::yawn::

Thanks guys!

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 2, 2014

Birth year smirsh year.

The problem is the multitudes of dates that a Speedmaster could have been "born"

Some were built, with a date marked in the back, but the extract shows released a year or so later, and some were marked with a date. eg 105.012-66 and built in 1968, then released after that.

I love the idea of a birth year, but in reality, when was it born?

It would drive this little anorak nuts.

Tritium, m84, pascs and 2 others like this.
  11. Cortezthekiller Dec 2, 2014

You can always pick up a dark insert later. Faded are more difficult to come by.

m84 and pascs like this.
  12. pascs Dec 2, 2014

I have a few faded bezels and think they have great character but as said above you can always buy a new or second hand bezel and fit that.

To me picking the right watch would be more important than the bezel

m84 likes this.
  13. esspee1200 Dec 3, 2014

Faded bezels look great but it's about personal preferences. Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

pitpro and Tinggle like this.
  14. Mothra Dec 3, 2014

For me, based on what you've said it comes down to the dial plots. If they are starting to yellow, id be happy with the watch as described; if still snow white id probably pass....

15. m84 Dec 3, 2014

Thanks for the replies guys, much food for thought!
    Mothra, the dial plots are more greenish than white, and i was under the impression that aging would turn them more a yellowish tone ::book:: ?
    Anyway, Im gonna go tell the dealer to try hold it for a bit longer and see it again tonight and (hopefully!) make some kind of decision!

Thanks,
    Lou

16. pascs Dec 3, 2014

I think if you are undecided then post some pictures here

17. Georgieboy58 Dec 3, 2014

As already mentioned, you can replace the bezel with a new one and keep the original one in your drawer.
    Bezels are the easiest pieces to replace.

18. m84 Dec 3, 2014

Cheers for the input guys!
    Unfortunately no other pics other than the one that I posted above.
    And thanks for the idea of replacing the bezel if I can't sleep at night hehehehe! Hadn't thought about that... :thumbsup:
    But I think i'm gonna go for it!

19. Davidt Dec 3, 2014

Thanks, it's a 105.012 '66, 321 cal with the CB case.

No plans to part with it any time soon but I'll make a mental note of your dibs, just in case.

20. cpl Dec 3, 2014

Bit surprised an '82 would have a faded bezel insert. Usually you'd see that on '60 vintages. You can buy the watch and replace the insert with a brand new one or a 2nd hand one from ebay. Someone will buy your faded one, no problem.

Edit: see some others have already suggested replacing the insert