Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Evolution: Speedmaster Mark and Reduced series

1. munch.norge Mar 31, 2018

Hello, first post here.

I guess this is more of a general comment/question: Speedmaster Mark and Reduced were both attempts to do some fubdamental changes to the old 1950s watch. The Mark ii was an attempt to make a more professional, sturdy tool watch. With the Reduced it was different: I suppose, with the smaller automatic version Omega has given up on its costumers' willingness to accept a new design - and rather tweek the Speedmaster Professional 50s design only so slightly that the watch got more easy to wear. In a way that would make both Mark 2.0 versions in its own right.

My question: is the Reduced really the first Speedmaster with an automatic calibre AND "speedmaster-ish" case?

I am sure someone here knows about this. Thanks, Daniel

IMAG3751~2.jpg
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 31, 2018

I think that title goes to the 376.0822, aka The (Chuck Maddox) Holy Grail in 1987. I believe the reduced came out shortly after that.

Edit: for more, https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-the-rise-of-the-speedmaster-reduced/

Dash1 likes this.
  3. munch.norge Mar 31, 2018

Ah, right the Holy Grail! Thanks so much, that absolutely solves the question!

... now that I read the Fratellowatches piece again: the holy grail really beats the Reduced by 1 year only (... I don't mean to compare these watches by anything else than year of birth ... of course!)

oddboy likes this.