speedmaster ed white ? wrong case back ?

Posts
138
Likes
36
Good morning members , question here , I have this speedmaster and doing some search I don’t know what to think about it if it’s maybe a what’s called a franken watch need your thoughts and opinion as I have no idea what this speedmaster really is , thank you , good day, kazd
 
Posts
2,803
Likes
3,733
You show the inside of two different case backs - neither is correct for your watch case. The straight lug should probably be a 105.003. Do you have both of them? Or is one to show what you think it should be?

I also note the “OXG” on the movement - this was placed on uncased movements imported into the US to be assembled there (to save duty). See this thread:


It is my understanding this was generally done for movements to be placed in gold watches manufactured in the US. So, a couple of theories here:

1. The movement was originally in a gold, US-cased Seamaster chronograph (this is where you see these movements a lot), then later put into a Speedmaster case (with an incorrect caseback).

2. It was cased into a Speedmaster case with the incorrect caseback in the US originally.

I lean more toward 1, that this is a put together pieces and that the movement was never intended for a Speedmaster. Also, the chronograph seconds hand is not correct for an Ed White, so indicates some cobbling of incorrect pieces at a later date already.
 
Posts
138
Likes
36
You show the inside of two different case backs - neither is correct for your watch case. The straight lug should probably be a 105.003. Do you have both of them? Or is one to show what you think it should be?

I also note the “OXG” on the movement - this was placed on uncased movements imported into the US to be assembled there (to save duty). See this thread:


It is my understanding this was generally done for movements to be placed in gold watches manufactured in the US. So, a couple of theories here:

1. The movement was originally in a gold, US-cased Seamaster chronograph (this is where you see these movements a lot), then later put into a Speedmaster case (with an incorrect caseback).

2. It was cased into a Speedmaster case with the incorrect caseback in the US originally.

I lean more toward 1, that this is a put together pieces and that the movement was never intended for a Speedmaster. Also, the chronograph seconds hand is not correct for an Ed White, so indicates some cobbling of incorrect pieces at a later date already.
Ah thank you for this extensive detailed info, I included one wrong case back the 105.012 -66 belongs to my other speedmaster , the 145.012 - 67 came with this watch , yes the chrono hand is replacement from later years I think , so taking all of this what you described is it still a decent watch , I purchased this one many years ago and never really used it till now I’m inspecting my collection and finding some discrepancies on some , if I’m allowed to say how much I paid in this thread I don’t want to get in trouble for breaking any rules 😊 so I paid $2800 , the dial is perfect so is the case and movement , would it make sense to try to find correct case back ? Thanks so much for your input , ♎️ This forum is a collection of tremendous knowledge !! good day , kazd
 
Posts
1,908
Likes
3,680
That movement has number 12976777 ?

I agree with @Donn Chambers that is not originally for a Speedmaster as the first Speedmaster ck2915 started with number 15499xxx movements. So i think it came from the earlier Seamaster chronographs that already used the cal 321.
 
Posts
138
Likes
36
That movement has number 12976777 ?

I agree with @Donn Chambers that is not originally for a Speedmaster as the first Speedmaster ck2915 started with number 15499xxx movements. So i think it came from the earlier Seamaster chronographs that already used the cal 321.
thank you , I thought so myself that the serial # was low number, but wasn’t sure what to think about it, now I learn a lot from you guys thank you , and what is your opinion overall about this piece honestly, I’m including here for your opinion my other piece with 27 CHRO C12 T2 PC movement , please tell me what you think about it especially the dial , thank you and good day , kazd

 
Posts
3,621
Likes
7,866
It’s better to make separate thread for a different watch. And rather than just asking “ what do you guys think about it” try to ask specific questions you will get more response
 
Posts
3,621
Likes
7,866
would it make sense to try to find correct case back ?
This will always be a franken so I would not spend much effort or money on correct Caseback.
 
Posts
138
Likes
36
It’s better to make separate thread for a different watch. And rather than just asking “ what do you guys think about it” try to ask specific questions you will get more response
Thanks
 
Posts
1,908
Likes
3,680
I am not familair with 27 CHRO so cant help you with it.
 
Posts
37
Likes
156
The hour and minute hands on the Speedmaster looks off too? The width of the lume to be more specific. From Speedmaster 101 for comparison:

 
Posts
138
Likes
36
The hour and minute hands on the Speedmaster looks off too? The width of the lume to be more specific. From Speedmaster 101 for comparison:

Thank you ,