Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster domed Crystal?

1. Dbltap Sep 25, 2018

hello all

I have begun to explore the Speedmaster as of late. I love the panda dials in 40mm. But I digress. My stumbling block is the crystal height. I’m just not a fan of the squares off edges. Are there any omega (low profile) domed crystals that are compatible with the speedy?

I know. It’s heresy. But that is really the only think keeping me from this union.

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 25, 2018

9B19DCE2-59B5-489C-A0FB-314735DEC2A2.jpeg

Like this? More domed on the speedy date.

ras47, Marty McDawg and Dbltap like this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 25, 2018

All indications are that Omega crystals are singularly designed/engineered for their intended watch. If anyone can offer a possible alternative it would be @Archer, although I suspect he would be very reluctant to do so.

Dbltap likes this.
  4. Dbltap Sep 25, 2018

I have a 2500 PO as well as other divers and seiko chrono. I assume the bezel hides the vertical rise of the crystal on the PO so it is not visible.

That’s a good looking speedy.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2018

The Speedmaster name encompasses so many different models, you would first have to be much more specific about what model you want to mod. But generally speaking trying to fit a lower dome crystal to any watch can have potential problems with clearance of the hands under the crystal.

Dbltap likes this.
  6. Marty McDawg Sep 25, 2018

Love that watch Foo!!!

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Dbltap Sep 25, 2018

I apologize for the shotgun approach without a specific model inquiry in my post. There are so many to choose from and I was going blind trying to find the ones that deviated from the originals.

The agree that the crystal height is often for a reason.

Thank you for your advice. I’m going to find a few in the wild to get my feet wet.