Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2013

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 9, 2013

Based on the sketchy description I'd be skeptical. If these were correct NOS parts, why do they need to be converted?...

At that price you should be able to find a truly correct crown.

I'm sure the Speedy guys will chime in with further input.

3. michael e Still learning. Oct 9, 2013

This is my listing. I don't see how my listing is "sketchy" I have not said these are NOS parts because they are not, they are new genuine Omega parts that look as near as possible to the old big style crown. I have had 100s of happy customers too.
    I have had old ones in the past but these are all gone.
    Cheers Mick

ICONO and stef2010 like this.
  4. g-boac Oct 9, 2013

Hi Michael - I've seen your crowns listed before, and think it's great to have a proper-looking crown installed onto a calibre 321 Speedmaster. The new-style Omega crown fitted to 1861 Speedmasters just doesn't look as elegant as the old one - and they especially look "off" when installed onto calibre 321 Speedies. Thanks for offering this item.

For those Speedy enthusiasts here who may not be as familiar with watch internals as a watchmaker may be, could you perhaps explain a little bit more about your crown, and the conversion that you do? Perhaps highlighting the difference between the original crown, a modern replacement crown, and your crown. Or perhaps put another way: can you explain an original vintage crown/stem installation into a calibre 321 Speedmaster, a modern crown/stem installation into a calibre 321 Speedmaster, and your crown/stem installation? For example, is this new item a modern Seamaster or AT crown that otherwise looks consistent with a vintage premoon crown that you convert to fit into a premoon case?

Perhaps additional narrative would help the "layman" premoon enthusiast understand both his watch and your offering better, while also leading to increased referrals and sales for you! :)

cheers,
    Mark

5. michael e Still learning. Oct 9, 2013

Sure Mark.
    The old Omega original crowns of the 60s were of a two piece construction, a inner core with a outer thinner coat of steel wrapped over the top, if you take a look at my picture on eBay of the 1960s crown you will be able to see at the bottom of the crown where the thinner outer skin of metal is machine crimped into place, also note that the original does not have a flush tube where the stem fits.
    The new crown I have for sale is not of the same construction but looks to the naked eye the same, it is one solid piece.
    The stem size on these crowns is 1.2mm and the 321 stem I use to fit is 1.0mm although I have had 0.9mm ones in the past.
    So what I have to do is make the stem (1.0mm) fit the 1.2mm hole, hence the middle section which takes the size up from 1,0m to 1.2mm
    I was told in the past by a eBay member that Otto Frei sell a crown for the 2914 railmaster with old style logo but I have never bought one from them so cannot guarantee they will come with the old style logo as illustrated, I have had a look and they look good though. It would probably be best if when ordering that you ask them first if the part they are supplying is as illustrated, it would be cheaper than my set, the buyer would have to order the stem too and do the reduction work themselves, not rocket science I know but my set takes the hassle out I think and on top of that Otto Frei postage charges are quite high even when ordering a small item like a crown.
    I post free within the UK and offer discounts on multiple purchases with free post included usually.
    The crowns I use now are genuine Omega parts and I agree they do look much nicer than the flatter crowns.
    I hope that made sense.
    Thanks Mick

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2013

Ahk so its a genuine Omega crown that's been modified with the old style Omega symbol as a shell over the top?

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2013

I don't thinks so as he says, "it is one solid piece." I have one of these and it appears just like the original to the eye. They are very appropriate looking on the watch. It does beg the question, what were these crowns made for?

8. michael e Still learning. Oct 9, 2013

Hello.
    The original 1960s crowns had a outer thin layer of stainless steel, The new ones are one piece and have not been touched cosmetically. I will try to add more details and pictures in the morning which might explain better.
    Thanks Mick

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 9, 2013

Ahk thanks, I actually quite like the look of it, although its not completely original, it definitely looks the part considerably more than a modern Omega symbol replacement crown would

10. michael e Still learning. Oct 9, 2013

Hi. The only part which is not original Omega is the reduction bar in between the stem and crown. The big crown finishes the look of the straight and twisted lug in my opinion, yes not as good as having a original 60s crown but I think they look the part and have new gaskets in them too.
    Thanks Mick

11. g-boac Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for your replies and explanation Mick - mades sense!

I have the same question as Steve:
    [1] I wonder what watch these new crowns were (are) originally made for?
    [2] Given that Omega is making them, why in the world aren't they (and I really wish they would!!) fitting them with the correct female thread and also using them for their Speedmasters? At the very least, as service replacement parts for the calibre 321s (for example - you can get a replacement 321 dial, with proper applied logo), if factory-issue for 3570.50.00's. This crown looks so much better!

12. michael e Still learning. Oct 10, 2013

The Omega part number is 45009 which is a reference to the railmaster 2914. The railmaster is quite a rare watch compared to the speedmaster so that is a good question. How many railmasters do we see with big crowns like this? not many.
    Here is a picture of a 1960s crown with outer skin removed.
    [​IMG]
    And a collection of other 1960s larger crowns with the same construction. All three vary in height or width.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Mick

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2013

Thanks Mick, very good pictures, I'll have to PM you in a bit and arrange one

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2013

So this is an 069ST45009 crown then? If so, the case reference it goes with is 055CK2777...

I'm assuming you are just using a stem extender to make the conversion then? That would be the easiest way....

Cheers, Al

15. michael e Still learning. Oct 10, 2013

Hi Al.
    That number sounds right, I will check the packet when I get home, the ck2777 (omega 53 military watch) usually has a unmarked crown though doesn't it? Are these meant be Omega replacements for that model? They do not look much like the original ck2777 crown to me.
    Cheers Mick

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2013

All I know is with the crown number you gave, only one case reference comes up - the one I listed.

If you can check the crown number that would be great...

Cheers, Al

17. michael e Still learning. Oct 10, 2013

I think 069st45008 are for 2777s
    I will check in a while.
    cheers

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2013

Nope - that crown is for 2 cases:

055ST135004

055ST2914

As noted above the 069ST45009 is for the 055CK2777.

I'm looking this up directly on the Omega Extranet...

Cheers, Al

19. sulaco Oct 10, 2013

I was reading the describtion of that crown over and over again, but couldn´t manage to understand what michael was trying to sell :thumbsdown:
    But now i do ... Thanks ::jumpy::

20. sulaco Oct 10, 2013

One more question, would this crown fit on my 165.024 ?