Forums Latest Members
  1. MKelley Feb 17, 2013

Hi all,
    I was perusing Ebay and saw this Speedmaster:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Speed...066343138?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c301dcae2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It's offered by one of the sellers in Japan that's known to be reputable. I just have a question about the dial. Specifically the markers and hands. The markers look to me to be original, due the discoloration (patina). The hands appear to be new replacements or painted. I've seen this on other offerings from this seller, as well as many others.

My question is, how does this affect the watch value and final price expected reasonable. I realize all original is the way to go. But, with the watches otherwise in good condition, but with this deviation I'm unsure.::confused2::

What is the consensus? Thanks to all who weigh in. Also, thanks to all who just read this post and giggle.::jumpy::

2. pascs Feb 17, 2013

Personally I think this seller, although genuine, just passes on whatever he buys making himself a reasonable profit, I dont think he actually does any work on the watches.

Although I like vintage patina, that colour of patina looks too excessive for a mid 80's watch and distracts from the beauty of the watch, maybe its like you say that its mismatched against the colour of the hands. It may be correct but it just doesnt look right.

3. MyVintageOmega Feb 17, 2013

The photos seems very color saturated. The patina may not perhaps appear so (yellow to gold) in person.

4. pascs Feb 17, 2013

I would message him and ask him about the patina, maybe he can send you a different photo. When I was dealing with him before he was quick to reply by ebay message

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 17, 2013

I think its fine, its not old enough for the hands to matter all that much but even if they do matter to you, you can get the hands sorted by a watchmaker with some non-luminous material for a modest fee at some point. Its a nice piece IMO especially as its a Cal 863 which is relatively uncommon for Speedmasters

6. MKelley Feb 17, 2013

To be honest, I was just curious, because I've seen quite a few like this one. The difference in color does not bother me. I was just curious how it may affect value/price.

7. MKelley Feb 17, 2013

Will do. Thanks.