Forums Latest Members
  1. Thebounder Sep 14, 2016

Just been offered one of these 44.25mm case watches 2011 just serviced
    I prefer larger watches so size is a plus
    Would any kind souls offer their thoughts on this model/movement?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdoM7 likes this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 14, 2016

The 3313 movement?

3. Thebounder Sep 14, 2016

Yup that's the one

[​IMG]

4. soybeanwatch Sep 14, 2016

Service on Co-Axials run a little bit more when going to your experienced watch maker... but as it has a fresh service no need to worry for a bit. Post a pic if you get the chance. I love my DSOTM and the size is definitely a plus. If you've always wanted a piece of or appreciated the Speedmaster History.. the Speedy Pro is always a good way to go as it keeps closest to the original "First Watch On The Moon". If I didn't have both, the Speedy Pro would always be on the back of my mind and at 42mm seems to fit fairly well.

Thebounder likes this.
  5. soybeanwatch Sep 14, 2016

NVM beat me to it as I was typing loll. That's a beauty.. how's the pricing... below or at market? If below and you like it.. go for it. If at or above make sure you looooove it... then go for it =)

6. Thebounder Sep 14, 2016

Around the $3200 mark
    How does that hold up?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 14, 2016

Seems high. If you want a 3313 Planet Ocean which runs more normally they can be found at that price. I may be wrong I'm not that up on this speedy model.

8. WurstEver Sep 15, 2016

As mentioned above, this is a similar size to the 9300-based Speedies, which I find to have a fantastic presence on the wrist, without being garish. Also, the inclusion of a date complication adds real day-to-day practicality. You'll have to decide whether or not you care about the purist view that this isn't a "real" Moonwatch. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. A very nice piece!

9. Thebounder Sep 15, 2016

Appreciate the comment ta so far thanks gentlemen

10. w.finkenstaedt Sep 15, 2016

I'd prefer the 9300 caliber over 3313. Just from what I've heard, the 3313 isn't as reliable. Maybe @Archer can chime in. At the very least, I'd prefer a silicon balance spring over the Nivarox.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 15, 2016

My personal thoughts are I love the 3313 movement in my POC. But I think in the speedy it's too big. Between a classic moonwatch and a 3313 I would get the classic. 42mm is still large and with my 7.75 inch wrist the Speedmaster proportions are perfect at 42mm.

The POC at least in the first gen with the 3313 works at 45.5 for its proportions and as a Dive watch.

If you want a bigger watch go for it. But at the least try on a normal Speedmaster Pro first at a AD or OB and see if you like that or want something larger.

Thebounder likes this.
  12. ac106 Sep 15, 2016

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 15, 2016

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

Well, the 3301 and family of F. Piguet based movements certainly had their problems, but so do the 9300's. There are various issues with the 9300's that have been reported, such as the hand alignment problems (also affected the 8500's), the seconds hand moving backwards with chrono reset (some don't consider this a serious problem), the DLC barrel issues, and lately a number of problems with the reversing wheels seizing up on fairly new watches have been reported here.

I know you are a member at WUS, so if you have been reading the posts there about these F. Piguet based movement issues, keep in mind that one particular poster there went on a crusade to discredit this movement, mostly by posting that the movement was problematic in several threads, then referring to his own comments in other threads as "proof" of those problems. While these movements did have a series of upgrades made to them to resolve some problems (just like the 9300 has), the reliability issues are highly exaggerated by this one individual, and he has pretty much been discredited on that subject.

If you have a 3313 C, with the 3 level co-axial escapement (or a previous version that has been upgraded to the C version as Omega has a kit to do so), and the other upgraded parts for the chronograph and winding/setting have been installed, it's a very reliable movement.

Preferences are just that - you may prefer a movement with a silicon balance spring, but I prefer one that isn't as thick as a brick. I have a F. Piguet based Broad Arrow Speedmaster in for service right now, and also a Speedy Pro Moonphase with sapphire crystal - the automatic is actually a fraction of a mm thinner than the manual wind watch. The 9300 watches are a non-starter for me due to their thickness, and also the fact I like 3 register chronos.

Cheers, Al

w.finkenstaedt and Thebounder like this.
  15. Perseus Sep 16, 2016

In my opinion the watch is an outlier in that it's not a traditional Speedy and it's not the modern 9300 Speedy. I could see that being good or bad depending on your perspective.

Foo2rama and Paedipod like this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 16, 2016

This is good to see in black and white since I always had my suspicions that the venom directed towards the 3303/3313 movement was completely overdone. I have had nothing but sterling service from mine. Here is a pic of a 44mm 3313 Speedy like the OP mentions vs my 3313 42mm '1957 BA' model for comparison. Bearing in mind that the 3313 will fit a 37mm case it isn't all that surprising that the sub dials look a bit cramped on the large 44mm case but IMO look better on the Speedy Pro sized 42mm:

[​IMG]

GBTRIUMPH likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 16, 2016

The particular poster I am referring to is a bit of a whack job who would not listen to reason - I know hard to imagine you find those on watch forums...

One of his big issue was that they used "cheap stamped parts" in the F. Piguet movements. The fact the parts were made by a stamping process really upset him. I can only suspect he imagined some very crude process, but stamping can be quite precise - when used for small and accurate parts the process is know as fineblanking, and it follows some specific rules to obtain tighter tolerances than you would expect, and prevent material flow during the blanking process. Parts can still need secondary finishing operations after this, but these are not cheap, flimsy parts as was being suggested. Sorry, my process engineer hat was on for a minute there - I did some research on this process for the company I used to work for when looking at new production options for our products - didn't work out but I did find it interesting. So now I'll put the watchmaker hat back on.

I believe I once illustrated the use of stamped parts to him with this photo...

[​IMG]

This is a display cabinet at a watch factory - not some factory in Hong Kong or mainland China, but in the Plans-les-Ouates area of Geneva. It shows large versions of the steps involved in producing a train wheel using stamping. The actual size parts are the little dots on the shelf.

To put these in perspective, I also showed an example of the watches these "cheap stamped parts" go into that I saw at that same factory...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn those cheap assed stamped parts! :D

Cheers, Al

Rumporridge and ahartfie like this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 16, 2016

Very interesting! The Speedmaster world is clearly nuts. People slate the F Piguet derived 3303/13 which is a marvel of engineering miniaturisation and beautifully finished (and more importantly super thin) yet others loudly sing the praises of the Lemania 5100 (used in the so called grail). The latter is of course made to a (low) price out of plastic, Nylon and stamped parts, poorly finished and primarily designed for the nuclear battlefields of Germany rather than the wrists of New York Executives. I know which I would rather have in my Speedy!

19. w.finkenstaedt Sep 16, 2016

Thank you very much for the education. I don't recall exactly who I heard the info from, so you very well could be correct and I'm victim of a crusader.

I do prefer a silicon balance spring, and I also prefer two register. That said, my fiancée likes the small PO chrono from the first gen, so I think I may have a F Piguet based movement here sooner rather than later. [emoji23]

I do also like the Aqua Terra chrono (not the 9605 based) which I believe was a 3313 as well. You've set my mind at ease in regard to that movement and reliability.

20. Thebounder Sep 16, 2016

Very informative gents thanks I intend to go ahead with the purchase