Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster chronograph question

1. kclin Aug 13, 2016

A week ago I bought a new Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006 from an OB and had a question about the chronograph as it's my first Speedmaster and in fact my first chronograph. The hour hand seems to advance a little too fast within each hour increment. It's not that it's inaccurate. It's just what it displays can be confusing. For example at 1 hour and 45 minutes the hour subdial is already pointing at 2 hours. It's like it gets there too fast then waits. Again not inaccurate because even at 9 hours 45 minutes it's pointing at 10.

By 10:10 it's easily discernible that the hour hand is past the 10 so maybe it just takes getting used to but wanted to make sure again because it's my first. Love the watch otherwise!

Thanks.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 13, 2016

Does it reset to "zero" spot on when you stop and reset the hands, or is it a little off to the right? Also, when you start the chronograph, does the hour recorder move off it's mark slightly right as you start it?

The hour recorder is not driven by the same set of gears as the seconds and minute recorders are. Those 2 are driven by a wheel that is pressed onto the 4th wheel of the movement, where the hour recorder is driven directly off the mainspring barrel on the dial side of the watch. It's not completely uncommon for it to be a little disjointed from the others, but 15 minutes out is a bit much...

3. kclin Aug 13, 2016

It resets perfectly and once you start the chronograph it advances subtly. I'd say after thirty minutes the hour hand is slightly past half way to the next hour but then by 45 minutes it has made it all the way to the next hour and it basically waits there. So it's not progressively worse just within each hour advances too quickly.

Thanks.

4. kclin Aug 13, 2016

Here is a picture.

image.jpeg
  5. Dufresne Aug 14, 2016

Mine behaves similarly.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. kclin Aug 15, 2016

Maybe this is nitpicking but with 15 minutes left to go the hour hand on mine is already at the next hour rather than slightly before the next hour.

7. Dufresne Aug 15, 2016

Mine hits the one hour mark at 50 minutes after.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. FedFod Jul 14, 2019

Experiencing the same issue, I appear to remember somebody found a fix for this by letting the chrono run for 12+ hours, is this a real solution to the problem? Would this be a fast and easy job for a Omega watchmaker if I would bring the watch in?
    Are you guys bothered by this behavior?

9. Martin_J_N Jul 14, 2019

Mine does the same but not worried about it as I rarely if ever time an event that is over an hour. I am going to leave the chrono run for a day or two and see if that makes any difference.

FedFod likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2019

My lemania Sinn does the same thing with the same movement. I always chalked it up to needing a service.

FedFod likes this.
  11. rainking Jul 14, 2019

My 2017 Speedy behaves similarly. My hour recorder also, as @Archer inquired, tends to reset a little smidge to the right of top dead center, and it advances ever so slightly to the right the instant the chrono begins to run. Sometimes if I let it run past six hours, it resets more centered. It seems it likes to spring back to the 12 clockwise more accurately than it does when it’s less than six hours and springs back counterclockwise. It’s been like this almost from brand new.

This all annoyed me in the beginning. Now I don’t care at all. It’s nowhere near worth taking it in for me. It’s of no consequence for anything I time and visually I have to stare at it closely to even notice the hour hand not perfectly aligned with the 12. It’ll hopefully be corrected when it’s eventually time for service. I prefer not to be without my watch for weeks just to fix this ultra-minor nitpick. But I TOTALLY understand people who can’t accept it. I know it’s not supposed to be like this but look how many people here alone have these issues. So I say, whatever, it’s a common quirk.

FedFod likes this.