Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster chronograph fails at 59 seconds & stops watch

1. WYO_Watch Feb 9, 2017

I just bought a Speedmaster 3813.50.01 for a decent price (finally one I can afford!) - but unfortunately I am having some serious difficulties with it. I wore it for a couple hours and the watch is working great and to my knowledge keeping excellent time. However, when I started the chronograph function things got weird. The chronograph second hand goes around the watch fine until 59 seconds and then it stops. When it stops the watch also stops. If I click to stop the chronograph function the watch will start going again but the chronograph is still froze at 59 seconds. If I start the chronograph again the watch will stop again and the chronograph will not move. I can reset it and the chronograph second hand will go back to 60 seconds for the problem to start all over again.

Has anyone heard of this issue? And does anyone know how to resolve it? I am pretty sure I can still send it back, but I am holding out hope that I could be doing something wrong. IMG_4742.JPG IMG_4736.JPG IMG_4739.JPG IMG_4738.JPG

IMG_4737.JPG
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2017

Your watch is due for a trip to the watchmaker, one of the caveats of buying a second hand watch is that unless you have the invoice from a watchmaker within the last 5 years you have to assume it needs a service, and given the stopping issue its going to have to go. On the plus side its a simple 7750 derived movement so any good independent watchmaker can handle the job for you without it being too expensive.

3. WYO_Watch Feb 9, 2017

That's what I was afraid of, but thanks for the answer. I couldn't find anything online, all the forums had were chronographs that reset to 59, not ones that froze there after functioning. I just got the watch today, and I doubt the trouble just started. I may be sending the seller an email and seeing if I can get some money back for a service.

The next couple questions you may not know an answer to about getting it serviced. To put it in context I live in Wyoming. My town has 1 watch repair shop and the owner spends his days working on custom jewelry. I have had many of visits with him, but he isn't really interested in more work at the moment. Is there a place I could send it too that is reliable? Is there a ballpark figure I should look for a service price?

4. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 9, 2017

Have you fully wound it by hand? The extra friction of turning the minute hand can stop a watch with low power reserves.

bardamu and Schmedsc like this.
  5. WYO_Watch Feb 9, 2017

Just tried it. I was really hopeful as it made the final turn, but unfortunately it still stopped at 59 seconds. Thanks for the suggestion

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 9, 2017

I just googled Wyoming as I hadn't heard of that state before but from the looks of it not that many big urban centres. Nesbits are in Seattle but they charge full Omega prices more or less, have you considered asking that guy who he would recommend in a nearby town or city?

ossfm likes this.
  7. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 9, 2017

Perhaps an issue with the hammer spring that advances the minute sub register.??

Stewart H, WYO_Watch and Lukeeesteve like this.
  8. Lukeeesteve Feb 9, 2017

Very possible... I had a similar issue with a different movement years ago. The good news again here is that it's a 7750 based movement. There are some non omega certified watchmakers that will service more mainstream movements for $150-$200. The key though is finding someone whom you trust.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  9. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 9, 2017

There used to be an Omega dealer in Jackson.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  10. WYO_Watch Feb 10, 2017

I really appreciate the help. I think I will contact the seller and see if he can help cover the cost. If not, I may just return it to him and go another route. He should have disclosed that the chronograph was having issues. Hopefully with the information I have gathered I can get to a watchmaker at some point and get it fixed. I do make it to Jackson occasionally so that can be an option as well.

11. WYO_Watch Feb 10, 2017

I am afraid many people have to do this haha - having the lowest population of the 50 states doesn't put us on the map very often. But it's beautiful here...

12. rcs914 Feb 10, 2017

You just have to console yourself with being the most represented state per capita in Congress, the Senate, and the Electoral college! ;-)

Foo2rama and WYO_Watch like this.
  13. WYO_Watch Feb 11, 2017

Plus no state income tax!

14. WYO_Watch Feb 11, 2017

Ok - I am not trying to revitalize this thread, but I have one more question. I literally just got this watch - and messaged the seller regarding the problem but have not gotten a response. I paid $770 thinking it was in working condition. How much should I ask for a refund? Or should I just return it to him. At $770 I think I got a decent buy, but maybe not in the condition it is in? I have checked eBay and most of these appear to be around $1300 from Japan, so if I invest in the fix I might still end up a little ahead. Opinions are greatly appreciated @dsio @Lukeeesteve

15. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 11, 2017

@WYO_Watch, if it were me, I would ask for a full refund from the seller. Unless he never activated the chrono, he had to have known about the issue.

btw, no income and no sales tax in NH :thumbsup:

WYO_Watch likes this.
  16. WYO_Watch Feb 11, 2017

@blufinz52 : I was hopeful that I got into the watch cheap enough to just ask for some money back, but that may be the best idea. I guess it is kind of like a used car salesman - if he is willing to lie about one thing... what else is he not telling. This is certainly not a rare piece - but I wouldn't mind finding another one.

You definitely beat us on sales tax - but we have more antelope than people?

blufinz52 likes this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2017

If you buy the $1300 one it almost certainly needs a service also, you're just spending $600 for one thats running and needs a service vs one that isn't, and the service should cost you less than that.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 12, 2017

WYO_Watch likes this.
  19. WYO_Watch Feb 12, 2017

There's a wonderful Bugs Bunny episode where Bugs chooses to sell books in "Thermopolis, Wyoming" because it has a long name. As a kid I always thought we must be famous because even WB knows we exist. This forum is proving otherwise haha.

20. WYO_Watch Feb 12, 2017

Then I am thinking the best way forward is to request a partial refund - and get the service done at the same time I get the hammer spring (or whatever the problem is) looked at. Kill two birds with one stone and enjoy a nice watch.