Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster chronograph acting up.

1. nonono Oct 26, 2018

Hi everyone. I just got a speedy moonphase and something is really freaking me out. I noticed when i push the top pusher, it activates the chronograph needle. However, when I press the top pusher again to stop it, it resets the chronograph instead, rendering the bottom pusher (which is usually the reset pusher) useless. A monopusher speedmaster wasn't what I bought.

I was wondering if any member had a similar issue with their speedmaster chronograph before? Does this sort of thing sound like an expensive fix? I was hoping to get a better idea before I sent it down for servicing. Any advice or help would be appreciated!

Edited Nov 10, 2018
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 26, 2018

Sounds like a broken stem bolt The movement might need a full strip down to find the broken part, which is about 20 pounds if I recall correctly. .

Edited Oct 26, 2018
    89-0, WurstEver and nonono like this.
  3. nonono Oct 26, 2018

Holy smokes 20 pounds from omega? thats it? Would you suggest that it would be better to just get it serviced instead?

4. Slowpoker Oct 26, 2018

Personally I would send it in for a full service.

I don't think OMEGA will charge you £20, it would probably be full service price + possibly replacement cost for broken part.

That is unless you use a watchmaker who has an OMEGA parts account, they may charge you a lot less.

But OMEGA would naturally insist on a full service.

nonono likes this.
  5. nonono Oct 26, 2018

Ahh ok, thanks for the tip. I guess i'll bring it down to Omega on Monday to get an idea. Their listed price seems to suggest it would cost me around 680USD for a complete overhaul. But i'm pretty sure that it doesn't include any cost incurred for replacement parts. Kinda bummed cause im going to most likely have to part with it for a while now :(

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 26, 2018

The stem bolt for hammer is either missing or broken. The stem bolt is a small diameter pin that sticks up vertically as you look down on the movement, and it hooks into the hammer to hold it back until the reset button is pressed. If it's missing there's nothing to hold the hammer back. Here's a video showing the start/stop/reset normally with the stem bolt in place, and the I removed the stem bolt to show how the watch will reset when you stop the chronograph if it's missing:

The stem bolt can be seen in the upper right quadrant of the frame in the video in the first clip. This is not an uncommon issue, so that's why I made the video to demonstrate it. Sometimes you get lucky and the broken bits are easy to find, but in other cases I've had to disassemble the entire movement to find both halves of the stem bolt. The parts itself is not expensive, but the labour is what costs the money of course.

Cheers, Al

7. nonono Oct 26, 2018

Hi Al! I was literally just studying the same video before I read your message and yes, there a little pin that the pin that sticks up when the reset button is pushed is missing. I know this is probably a long shot, but I'm uploading a super slow motion video of the mechanism at work. I was cross referencing with the video that you linked to your post, and the only difference I can see is that pin that slides down when the chrono is reset, is missing. Kindly have a look and see if it makes sense. I really appreciate it.
    P. S if you need better lighting, let me know, I'll make another video for u

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 26, 2018

Yes, as I said it's either broken or missing.

nonono likes this.
  9. nonono Oct 26, 2018

OK that's good to know. Would u suggest getting it done from omega? (quite sure they'll insist on the full service) or would u say its a small enough matter to get done from a private watchmaker? Thanks a million Al

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 26, 2018

Independent watchmakers can do anything Omega does in a service, and often much more. It depends on who the watchmaker is, so only a question you can answer with the watchmakers you have in mind.

nonono likes this.
  11. nonono Oct 26, 2018

Thanks for the advice Al, I'll bring it to a watchmaker I know, who is quite the professional. However I'll only leave it with him if he can garuntee me original replacement parts.

12. nonono Oct 26, 2018

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 26, 2018

nonono likes this.
  14. nonono Oct 26, 2018

dude i swear i cannot thank you, and everyone who's helped so far, enough. I was really panicking before i reached out but now i feel i've got all the info i need to make the right decision. I don't mind that there is a mark up on the price, as long as the part is original. Then again, when i speak to my watchmaker tomorrow, he might have one that costs less too. I just wanted to confirm the model numbers and everything. Seriously thank you all very much again, i can sleep slightly better tonight ;-)