Forums Latest Members
  1. Unwound Jan 24, 2014

I robbed this photo because it really shows what I do not know. The left side case bevel is notably narrower than the right side, as you can see, just look near the lug.
    I've noticed this on most cases I have seen photo's of from this era. Is this normal or a butcher job by a watchmaker?
    [​IMG]

front.jpg
  2. ulackfocus Jan 24, 2014

"Asymmetrical"

Unwound likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 24, 2014

I can't tell if it is actually narrower, or just the angle of the photo. Wouldn't take much to make it appear asymmetric, especially the way Speedy's are beveled. Don't know if it is true, but have heard the theory that on some watches, the "off" side lugs (opposite the pushers and crown) may be intentionally slightly wider, to "balance" the watch. Doesn't make sense to me that it'd be narrower. :thumbsdown:

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2014

Not a butcher job, but normal design to allow protection for operational controls of the watch. Modern watches of very many brands and models still incorporate such asymmetrical design.

5. Unwound Jan 24, 2014

I dig. I guess I just haven't noticed this much of a difference until lately and it seems to be more-so on these years. I hadn't noticed it so much on the 105.012 (mine doesn't count, it's been hit by the sander at some point in its life).

Is current production this way?

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2014

Yes

7. SpaceCowboy Jan 25, 2014

On a side note, some 105.012 cases from 1966 where produced by CB, and had an additional edge on the top of the lugs, as illustrated below:

[​IMG]

If it hadn't been for the single owner and the accompanying paper-work I would've doubted the watch. But then I got it confirmed with some googling. :)

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 25, 2014

Yep, several folks here have these, desirable.

9. Davidt May 3, 2014

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've just noticed this on my '69 861 speedy. The diagonal facet/bevel is noticeably thinner on the left side when compared to the right. There doesn't appear to be any difference in my '66 321. I believe both to be unpolished.

image.jpg image.jpg