Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster...can we ever get enough?

1. 64Wing May 29, 2019

For those that just love the Speedy through and through, here's my take on owning one.

I purchased my regular ol' Speedmaster in October 2018 from an AD. Got an absolutely screaming deal on it. Fast forward a number of weeks and Omega upped their warranty to 5 years! Mine was grandfathered-in based on purchase date, so big win there.

It's always special to open up the parcel and peer into the darkness, wondering if you've made the right decision on your new acquisition. When I removed the box from the shipping parcel I knew that I had, indeed. I slide the (paper) sleeve off of the watch box and stared at the Speedmaster emblem at the center. Slowly opening the two halves of the box, I was now looking at a really great presentation box that felt very Apollo in design. (Side note, I was very fortunate to spend a few days as a concierge for several Apollo astronauts and will perhaps post that story later).

I unfastened the two clasps that hold the presentation box closed and lifted the lid. Since this was a brand new purchase, the AD didn't even remove the watch from it's plastic case and place it on the display pad. An extra treat for me! I first had a look at the substantial and shiny Speedmaster paper weight (looks like a large coin), then the loupe, then opened the cover over the accessories: a black NATO and a Velcro strap with NASA part number that would have gone over a space suit, and a spring bar tool with spare bars. It is my understanding that Omega will only provide the black NATO with a Speedy, so there's some neat exclusivity there.

Finally, I opened the plastic watch case itself, removed it from its plastic and keenly looked it over. Everything was perfect from the polishing to the clarity of the Hesalite crystal. I couldn't believe I finally got my hands on one, but after some long weekends of big jobs with my employer at the time that had me halfway across the nation and back, I figured it was time to treat myself to this piece.

Anyway, I didn't want to mess anything up trying to size the bracelet myself so I placed the watch in its display pad and closed the box. I was heading downstate to stand in my cousin's wedding and there is an Omega boutique there. I called and asked if I could drop in to have it sized and they answered affirmatively.

Once there, I was greeted by very friendly and knowledgeable staff. They brought me Fiji water and a glass with two types (milk and dark) of Omega branded chocolates on a nice little platter to enjoy while I waited. The gentleman performing the work did so (with white gloves) at a smaller workstation right in the showroom and we had an excellent conversation about all types of watches. He had me try it on and offered pointers on fitment based on lifestyle and such. I didn't need the input, but welcomed it and appreciated the above-and-beyond approach to helping me as a customer even though I didn't buy it from them.

Once everything fit just right, I placed it back in the box and put my daily wear (Fortis Flieger Chronograph) back on because I wanted to really wear the Speedmaster for the first time in the wedding.

Rather than continue with the play-by-play I'll just say that the watch wore great and received some nods from a couple of other watch people at the wedding, though for the most part it flew under the radar. I bought it for me, not for accolades.

Now that it's been a number of months I'm happy to report that the piece runs perfectly and has accompanied me on many other special occasions. The only thing I notice that is a bit aggravating (since I'm an OCD type) is that small particles of dust or debris will find there way in the crevasses of the case. But really, the only person that would notice it is the idiot wearing it and staring at it in social settings lol...

If you're hesitant to pull the trigger on a Speedmaster, I encourage you to just go buy it if it's fiscally responsible/doable to you. You will not regret it. But if you do regret it, there will be a happy second owner somewhere that will pay you a fair price. I can't say enough good about such an iconic piece of horological significance as the Speedmaster.

Next, I will be waiting for a nice 105.003 or even a reissue since Omega has revealed (as I had previously theorized) that they have been recreating the 321. Hopefully they'll place it properly in a spot-on 105.003 anniversary piece or something.

So here are a few photos of my Fortis at work and side-by-side with the Speedy. I had my brother wear the Fortis for the wedding because it's a handsome piece that deserved to be worn.
    IMG_20181211_113203.jpg IMG_20181027_235957.jpg IMG_20181202_082650.jpg IMG_20181202_082625.jpg

Cheers, all!

imageWIS, apsm100, Fastsled and 24 others like this.
  2. Swissmister May 29, 2019

It's great to see such enthusiasm from a new generation for a watch with so much history. Enjoy it. I'm betting you'll be looking for a vintage model within a year or two.

Mad Dog likes this.
  3. mmrols May 29, 2019

Wow, that read like a novel! Felt the same way when I first opened my watch. :)

mikekchc likes this.
  4. 64Wing May 30, 2019

Thank you for the kind words, my friend!

5. 64Wing May 30, 2019

Don't tempt me, Satan :D
    I have been hunting for one, and the fact that Omega is now reproducing the 321 is inspiring from the standpoint of vintage longevity. My theory is that if I snag a proper vintage Speedy, I can feel not-so-bad for actually wearing the rest of my pieces since the 105.003 or 105.012 would default to my highest-order special occasion piece.

Cheers!

6. mmrols Jun 4, 2019

I'm dying to know how they will employ the 321

64Wing likes this.
  7. 64Wing Aug 6, 2019

Well...in Platinum, as I'm sure you're now aware.

No matter. If they really want to poke the bear (Rolex) all they have to do is release the 321 in steel again and you'll see demand for the GMT Master come down measurably. Of course, then we'll have to deal with the same idiocy driving the 350% price inflation we're seeing on the Pepsi.

If I could waterboard a few watch speculators, I would lol
    Since it's 2019 I (unfortunately) should provide the disclaimer of jest.

8. Tigeranteater Aug 7, 2019

Great write up and thanks for sharing your experience

p4ul and 64Wing like this.
  9. LeonDeBayonne Aug 7, 2019

What’s the connection between the EdWhite and GMT? Different use and buyers. You just have to wait for the next economic crisis, and you’ll see demand and absurd speculation deflate across brands and models.

10. whyboddau Aug 14, 2019

I love getting those knowing nods of approval. Nicely put! Enjoy!

mikekchc likes this.
  11. 64Wing Aug 30, 2019

I didn't mention Ed White...in fact the Platinum release is nowhere near the Ed White at all.

What I'm saying is Omega has the opportunity to capitalize on a whole lot of demand (stealing Rolex GMT thunder) by releasing a SS 321. Since Omega is indisputably more apt to actually have units ready to ship, the folks waiting around on lists for the BLRO might just jump ship and secure a trusty speedy. This would also have the much needed effect of tanking those inflated prices back down to more reasonable levels for the Rolex rather than where they sit now at 300%

I'm curious to see how the next market upset really affects the inflated Rolex prices. The current demand seems enigmatic. Might see them stay stable for the first time through economic turmoil. I hope not lol

12. joeshoup Aug 30, 2019

I have yet to buy a watch from an Omega AD but can confirm their staff are really well-trained and friendly, and will help you have a great experience regardless of whether you buy anything. I just had a guy at my AD spend a couple hours looking for the right springbars for a vintage clasp, which will cost me $8 when all is said and done. And the snacks and drinks are nice too. Certain other brands that start with an 'R' could learn something from this :whipped:

13. zrleopold Aug 31, 2019

Glad you like the speedy. My favorite watch as well!

However, I disagree that people would jump ship from Rolex if Omega released a 321 in a steel case. They have already mentioned they will only produce around 2000 321 movements a year. Further, the people waiting on watlists and/or paying multiples of retail price are doing so becuase Rolex is written on the dial. Whether they are right in doing so I will leave up to others, but that is simply the reality of the situation. I think a Cal 321 Speedy is a much more niche product than a GMT or Daytona.

Syrte likes this.
  14. snake.doctor Aug 31, 2019

That's what I like with stories like that, you know why people want a special watch which really means something to them.

I bought my first Speedmaster this year especially because of the 50th anniversary of the moon landing and it means a lot for me.

mikekchc, befobe and 64Wing like this.
  15. befobe Aug 31, 2019

Same nice effect for me ::bleh::. I'm not able to write such a story because of my low english level, but I understand and appreciate other's stories... Think you will probably have a look on older speedies in a short future... For me, when I wear my 145.012, I feel slightly like next to Collins in CSM-107 Columbia... 400000km away... and it is sufficient for me to spend a good day... :D

16. akong71 Aug 31, 2019

Great write-up! I'm on the fence about whether I want to add a Speedy to my modest collection, and you just nudged me! Thanks for sharing.

mikekchc and 64Wing like this.
  17. 64Wing Aug 31, 2019

Again, I always advocate responsible buying decisions...I don't want an army of angry horology wives chasing me for convincing their hubbies to spend money on watches!

That said, I really don't think you can go wrong with the Speedmaster. I understand some folks being less than enthused because of the number of iterations of Speedmasters, but that's what makes the standard reference so special to me.

I hope we'll be seeing a post from you soon revealing some snazzy wrist shots of a new Speedmaster ;)

18. 64Wing Aug 31, 2019

Your English is just fine. It doesn't have to be 100% perfect for us to understand what you mean and for you to convey your feelings about a nice piece.

If you haven't done so already, you should make a thread showcasing your 145.012! Always happy to see photos of a Speedmaster in the wild.

Have a great weekend, my friend!

19. Stufflers Mom Aug 31, 2019

There's a Speedmaster out there for just about everyone, this is my current favourite.

P1200338.JPG

giminix7 and 64Wing like this.
  20. 64Wing Aug 31, 2019

That dial and bezel look deep enough to dive into!