Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster BSotM 9904 stopped suddenly...(and started again...and stopped again)

1. Bugbait May 5, 2021

This is why I value warranty. A few hours ago while my Speedmaster BSotM was just sitting dial up on my desk, it just stopped. Made sure it was fully wound (could hear clicks of clutch slipping) but balance wheel just doesn't move. Pulled out the crown fully out then in a few times and the balance wheel wobbled for 1-2 seconds each time but nothing. It has been my daily wearer for the past 2 years and been very accurate, +/- 1 sec per day depending on position. Will have to drop it off at the boutique when I have time so will strap on the X-33 again while it's in service.

2. Bugbait May 6, 2021

Took it out this morning to play with the functions and it started again after a while. Strange, will have to keep an eye on it. :confused:

3. LuckyLes May 6, 2021

Take it in and get it checked under warranty.

4. Bugbait May 6, 2021

Will if it stops again for sure. Kind of tricky when it appears to be working correctly though and still 3 more years on the warranty. Head scratching about what the cause was.

5. Bugbait May 30, 2021

Sadly it stopped two more times within a few weeks so it will hopefully be going into the AD to pass to Omega for warranty work today. It's still keeping very accurate time up until it stops. It wouldn't restart for days so has been in a drawer for maybe 2 weeks. Of course it's running again now! Can only hope that Omega spend the time and effort to test and diagnose it properly and not just send it back thinking it's still working fine.

6. Jkbenn02 Jun 2, 2021

How long will it take for them to check it?

7. Bugbait Jun 3, 2021

Not sure yet, the AD wanted to charge to forward to Omega so will visit one of the main Boutiques in central London this Saturday if all goes as planned. One of the very few drawbacks of working from home, normally would pass an OB to and from the office.

8. Bugbait Jun 7, 2021

Officially, 8 weeks but warranties get priority. It stopped while I was at the boutique so that helped my case.

9. Alphasports Jun 7, 2021

Had the same thing happen with my Rolex Explorer 214270 recently, just randomly stopped. Would sometimes restart and keep running for days/weeks, other times would stop repeatedly after 2-3 seconds. Watch was a 2014, very lightly/seldom worn, but I had it retrofitted at the AD a year ago with the newer "Mk II" dial and hands ($900), not sure if they messed it up but I would have expected symptoms before now. Brought it back to the same AD and they said the amplitude was low and it needed a full service ($1000), so I did the only rational thing with a $7500 watch requiring full service after 6 years: I dumped it as-is!!! Never did find out the problem, don't really care. Sold my other Rolex shortly after, done with them.

10. Bugbait Jun 9, 2021

A full service after 6 years wouldn't seen unreasonable for any mechanical watch, despite what Rolex marketing would lead you to believe :). The Omega 9xxx movements seem to be quite reliable based on what I've seen on forums and I love the watch so I'm willing to give it a chance.

11. WhiteThorn Jun 9, 2021

Can we have a photo of the watch pretty please?

12. Bugbait Jun 14, 2021

Not sure what the issue is but:

07.06.2021 - Service Received
    07.06.2021 - Technical Diagnosis
    08.06.2021 - Waiting for Parts
    08.06.2021 - Service in Process

COMPLETE SERVICE CHRONOGRAPH, MECHANICAL
    PROCEED FULL SERVICE UNDER WARRANTY

13. mjb Jun 14, 2021

FWIW, I had a new FSTOM Apollo 8 stop running the day I got it. Turns out that a screw had gotten loose, fell into and jammed-up the movement. I think it took around 5 weeks from sending it off to Miami to getting it back, fully repaired and working great.

You'd think that they'd use a little threadlock on those things. LOL ;)

14. Bugbait Jun 16, 2021

Service complete and in transit back to OB in Central London so about 2 weeks or so turnaround. The real question is if they have messed anything up :p. I've never had an Omega returned from service the first time without an issue so we'll see.