Forums Latest Members
  1. srvof Nov 12, 2018

I just picked up a Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT 3581.50.00 and didn't see a lot of recent discussion so I thought I'd share a few thoughts for anyone contemplating this watch. I am a former owner of a Seamaster Chronograph 2225.80.00 and Speedmaster 9300 Chronograph but those were flipped in the process of acquiring my collection. I've wanted to get back into an Omega and was considering the new blue moonphase 9904 and this watch. I thought that this watch would be an excellent travel watch that would be a little nicer than my Bremont Alt1-WT. Why I think it makes a great travel watch is the chronograph (time flights, etc.), GMT (keep track of home time), date (lose track of dates while traveling, also helps at work), and 100m WR (can take in a pool, lake or ocean if I want).

Early impressions:
    1. It is much better looking in person than in pictures.
    2. It is a very wearable 44.25mm case, even for my 6.5" wrist due to short lugs (total lug-to-lug is 50mm). Thickness isn't too bad either at about 15mm
    3. I wish the bracelet included 1 or 2 half links or more micro-adjustments. I did find a half link on eBay so that should help.
    4. Setting the date is a bit of a pain like I remember with the 9300. Pull the crown to position 2 and move ahead in 1 hour increments until you get to the correct date. But I guess once you've got it set, you'll only have to adjust every other month so that shouldn't be too bad. I will definitely keep this one on a winder when I'm not wearing it.
    5. Setting the GMT is also a bit of a pain/different. Unlike most GMTs that I've owned or used, you don't set the GMT had independently by going in the opposite direction of setting the quick date. With this calibre, you pull the crown all the way out (position 3) and advance the time so that the 24 hour hand is where you want it, presumably your home time. Then push the crown in to position 2 and move the hour hand forward or backwards in 1 hour increments to the desired local time.

All things considered, I think this will be a great addition to my collection of automatic chronographs.

surftime, billo101 and BostonCanuck like this.
  2. hanky6 Nov 12, 2018

No pictures?

Pictures please.

Taddyangle and Foo2rama like this.
  3. dinexus Nov 12, 2018

Ahh, I've almost bought this one on several occasions, but ended up with a Seamaster 300 GMT with the same movement. It's also unique in that it's a Speedy with 100m of water resistance, making it a great sport/travel watch. You pointed out an annoyance of the GMT setting mechanism, but this is actually a "true" GMT (rather than the more commonly found ETA-based "desk" GMT type watches), whose independently adjustable hour hand is extremely handy if you change time zones a few times a month.

Also, what the heck are you doing, not sharing any photos?

4. BostonCanuck Nov 12, 2018

It really is a beautiful watch. Got mine from AuthenticWatches of all places, about six years ago when they were still readily available new. The watch settles nicely down onto my 7.25" wrist and wears a lot thinner than it is. It feels and looks like a really high-end piece. And although there is no half-link, there is there is some fine adjustment on the clasp where it connects to the bracelet extending from the twelve o'clock lug. There are three pin-holes there to select from.

Edited Nov 12, 2018
  5. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Nov 12, 2018

upload_2018-11-12_16-30-40.jpeg

surftime and BostonCanuck like this.
  6. srvof Nov 12, 2018

Sorry but for some reason I thought this Forum was on Tapatalk but I can't find it. Had to wait until I got home from work. One alone and one with the "family."

IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1456.jpg
    surftime, Lou P and dinexus like this.
  7. DRjre086 Nov 14, 2018

What’s the top left? :rolleyes:

surftime likes this.
  8. srvof Nov 15, 2018

Blurred Blancpain Leman 2185. Serves as my dress watch and completes my F. Piguet 1185 Trilogy (with AP 25860 and VC 49140). One not pictured is my Bremont Alt1-WT

9. Jim@PST Nov 23, 2018

The white dial with the red and blue numerals is gorgeous! First time I've seen it.

10. L Tigre Nov 27, 2018

Sorry to be dense but how did I miss this watch?... when were these available new? I was not aware this watch existed. Have always had an interest in Speedmaster w GMT but there aren’t a lot of options out there.

11. ext1 Nov 27, 2018

Have you checked out the Speedmaster solar impulse? That has a GMT function.

12. L Tigre Nov 27, 2018

Yeah I did see that one. I kinda like it for what it is, but the design is a step away from the typical speed master look and feel; something about it made me not want to actually purchase it.

13. ext1 Nov 27, 2018

Hmm...well...I don't know what you consider "typical speedmaster look and feel" then...for me this BA GMT isn't typical either...

14. srvof Nov 27, 2018

Defining “typical” is of course subjective and depends on whether you’re talking typical Speedmaster or typical Moonwatch. The first Speedmaster, the CK2915, has Broad Arrow hands and a steel bezel. So the look of this watch is similar to the original Speedmaster. The GMT and date are obviously added complications for functionality and work for me. But I liked the 9300 over the typical Moonwatch but maybe I’m just in the minority.

15. jets Nov 30, 2018

One of the best Speedies IMO. 4 complications on a watch that fits nicely on the wrist. I can't decide if I like the black better than white.

16. srvof Dec 1, 2018

They're both nice, so I think the "best" one is what you want to add to your collection. I've got a couple white dials so didn't mind the black for this one.