Forums Latest Members
  1. TacmedRN Jun 18, 2021

Hello everyone!

I bought the outgoing model of the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch on leather a few months ago from my local AD. They only had one left, and the case was slightly damaged and was missing the pillow.

My AD called me today and said they ordered a new box from Omega to swap for my old box. However, they said it was the wooden box with cream interior like what came with my Seamaster. When I asked why it wasn’t a moonwatch box, I was told that the new Speedmasters are coming in these wooden boxes, which I know isn’t the case.

I have two questions:

1. I know the new Moonwatch does not come in the wooden box, but are there any Speedy models that do come in the wooden box? Was my AD just thinking of a different model, or was she completely off base?

2. Provided I get to keep the “case candy” extras, should I swap my damaged Moonwatch box for a brand new wooden box? What would you do? I’m not sure reselling would be a concern since the box was slightly damaged, was missing the pillow, and I sold the leather strap already to purchase the bracelet.

Thanks!

2. s2000_driver Jun 18, 2021

Your AD should be able to order the correct box from Omega. It is even available for purchase from boutiques. I wouldn't do a mix and match. None of the recent ones including the Limited Editions came in wooden boxes.

3. TacmedRN Jun 18, 2021

I called three boutiques along with the general Omega customer service line, and they all told me they couldn’t help me get a replacement, not even just the pillow. My AD said they contacted their Omega rep and was told the same thing, so I’m not sure what’s going on.

4. Duckie Jun 18, 2021

It's probably just a simple matter of the box and all that goes with it being out of production just like the watch.
    In that event your best bet will be to source one over the internet and if I'm right I wouldn't let the grass grow under your feet because people will be looking to cash in when they fully work out there's no more.

5. TacmedRN Jun 18, 2021

That was my initial thought as well. Like I said, top resale value is already out the window, so would having the original box in sub par condition and missing a piece make a big difference over a pristine wooden box IF I did end up selling the watch down the road? I like the size, feel, and sleekness of the wooden box, so I’m torn…

6. Evitzee Jun 18, 2021

Depends on how 'slightly damaged' the original box is. If it's just a scuff or a dented corner it probably isn't significant as long as all the accessories (extra straps, spring bar tool, extra springbars), cards, manual, booklets, loupe, paperweight are present. Are you sure you have all the accessories? I don't think the missing pillow is a big deal, plenty of generic ones around that would fit the bill.

I would NOT do a swap from the suitcase to a generic wooden box, they should give you the wooden box and you keep the suitcase.

Yes, there are some relatively recent 1861 based Speedmasters that came in wooden boxes, the two CK2998 LEs and the FOIS came in specific black wooden boxes with the appropriate markings on the inside. The Apollo 8 comes in a glossy black wooden box. And the 44 mm automatic Speedmasters come in wooden boxes.

As time goes on those 1861 based models that have all the proper stuff will be a little more desireable. Some people don't care, many do. I like a complete set of whatever I buy unless it's a true vintage piece or the price has been adjusted for missing accessories or paperwork. You'd be surprised how often boxes and papers get chucked out in a move or somehow lost over the years.

Edited Jun 18, 2021
    Stripey likes this.
  7. Duckie Jun 18, 2021

The wooden box is really nice as you know:thumbsup:
    They threw that in as a surprise at the last minute after the deal was done when I got my Speedy in late 2018.
    It's never really seen the light of day since then and is still in it's cardboard box, so they're just stacked up in the cupboard with the other watch boxes.
    Another thing to consider in case you're not aware of it, is i think I see here on the forum the 50th Snoopy also comes in the big box so that may influence the desirability factor in the market going forward if I'm right:thumbsdown:
    Perhaps someone can come along and clarify that?

Of course the overall packaging is different internally but having everything like the pillow etc as a complete set is always going to be more desirable as time marches on.

8. YY77 Jun 18, 2021

The 321 comes in the big box, the 50th Snoopy has a small blue box comparable in size to the 3861's.

9. TacmedRN Jun 18, 2021

I do have all accessories, except the original leather strap, which I sold to purchase the bracelet. As this watch is worn regularly, the spring bars may wear out and not be present forever, and the nato strap isn’t pristine either. The box damage is limited to the outer box, and has some fairly significant scuffs. The inner box is in good shape.

I wish my AD was kind enough to just let me keep both boxes; after all, they sold me the watch with the caveat that they could get me a new box from a different store.

10. Duckie Jun 18, 2021

I don't know:thumbsup:
    For the sake of originality it may be a factor for some purchasers and this seems to be a factor for the OP.

11. Evitzee Jun 18, 2021

I'd stay with what you have. If you have to give up the big box what are you going to do with all the accessories, they are more likely to get lost along the way.

12. Duckie Jun 18, 2021

Great.
    Many thanks:thumbsup:

I knew it was one of the watches of significance.

YY77 likes this.
  13. Duckie Jun 18, 2021

Agreed.
    One can always hunt up a pillow of their choosing with little trouble.

14. Duckie Jun 18, 2021

It's not uncommon to have some damage to the outer box.
    It's big, heavy and cumbersome with pointy corners that are prone to get dinged in some manner.
    If it weren't for the medallion on the top it's value may be regarded as a good deal less significant:thumbsdown:

15. TacmedRN Jun 18, 2021

The medallion has the most noticeably significant damage :(

16. Duckie Jun 18, 2021

Something else to consider then?
    Perhaps you may be able to post a pic of the outer box at some point to help evaluate.

Not trying to poison your mind.
    But I know if I were after a full set and anything other than a little bit of damage to a corner here and there would impact my view of the whole package.

I suspect we may well be on the same page anyway:(

For example, I overlooked a little bit of corner damage on mine as the place I bought it had two watches.
    One on display in the box and all in a dedicated display cabinet and another which was still out the back in the coffin.
    The coffin watch was the one I took delivery of but they couldn't find the box pertaining to it after looking high and low so I was given the box from the display cabinet plus the salubrious wooden box;)
    That watch box had travelled half way around the world for months on a cruise ship after being shipped from Omega before I came along.
    Then it travelled with me on a number of flights back home as cabin baggage after the cruise, so I'm quite thankful it got home with me in such good condition as it is all things considered. Even the outer sleeve which protects the outer box wasn't too badly damaged at the corners, but we were very careful.