Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Bezels - service or counterfeit

1. BatDad Apr 24, 2019

Folks
    I recently purchased a bezel from the bay - labeled as a service replacement. Bargain price.

Looks great to the naked eye. But upon comparison I see differences from other, and what I believe to be official, examples.

Left - moonwatch, purchased by me from an AD. Circa 2012
    Mid - eBay purchase
    Right - older 69.

My observations - the 2s on both the left and right seem to have the same font. The middle to my eyes has a different angle as the top curve rounds down to meet the horizontal base of the 2s. Ie a differing font.

The 8 on the center seems almost a mirror image across the mid point. Whilst on left and right there is a distinct reduction in size on the top loop to the bottom.

My question - are we aware of reproduction DNNs, are there tells, and is what I describe above consistent with others observations?

Thoughts?

2. BatDad Apr 24, 2019

savio.79 likes this.
  3. CJpickup57 Apr 24, 2019

Middle bezel does not have the same font as either watch in the picture. Sevens and twos are different 100% and the 100 scale from 130-110 the first "1" is not aligned with the rest of the numbers at all, but it is on the other two watches.

4. ext1 Apr 25, 2019

I've noticed these as well. So I guess yes people are aware of reproduction DNNs. But it's not such a big problem as DON reproductions, presumably these DNN repros are made intended as cheaper OEM replacements.

For me I don't work very well with comparing numeric script differences. I look at the Tachy word - One on the left (OEM) has a flatter text (especially the A) than the center (repro).

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 25, 2019

DNN’s don’t have accents on the tachy

Post DNN which also has the dot next to 90...

I’m too lazy to pull the book out to check the other features. But they look like post 1990 bezels to me. There is some variation on how close to the edge the printing is on them depending on batch.

6. BatDad Apr 26, 2019

After much Loupe time, a review with MWO(edition 1) and my limited experience, I’m inclined to believe this bezel is counterfeit. It was relatively cheap, and most certainly not the worst homage I’ve seen; even to my eyes some are very obvious.

My view - I think this bezel mixes two styles - the early nighties - shown by roundness of the 8s. And later 2000s by the tachy font. The angle of the twos, is very different from what I’ve seen, thus far.

But, I’m here to learn. If anyone disagrees I’d love to hear and see pictures to help extend my very limited knowledge.

I suppose my broader question is - whilst we view DON reproductions as an issue that requires close attention - do we, may, should we, approach the DNN(pre and post 1990s), homages the same way?

BTW- this is to be installed on a watch I own. And, at this point, fine with the bezel. But I guess, I will always know...

7. ICONO Apr 26, 2019

If you are always going to acknowledge that the Bezel is a cheap substitute…

Just for the Hell of it…I would be tempted to have some fun…with a saucer of bleach / soft scourer… and see if you could ‘age’ it …to match the one on the right ?

At least, it would look less new…and what have you got to lose ?

8. BatDad Apr 26, 2019

You may be right - and perhaps I’ll play with this - I can’t see me ever selling the watch it’s going on - so why not... but I think I’ll always be on the lookout for a ‘proper’ replacement. <conversations are already ongoing> :)