Forums Latest Members
  1. focus340 Aug 3, 2016

Hi,

I'm new to the forum however have always watched from a distance.

I've owned my Speedy for 4 years and in that time I've had an on and off (literally) problem with it. The bezel popped off once when I caught it on the side of a table. Not a problem I popped to my nearest trusted jeweller and had them use their equipment to pop the bezel back on. This happened 2-3 times in ownership.

However recently it popped off without any force (I was walking down the street and heard the un happy 'ping' as it fell to the ground). I have tried to refit it myself using various tools including one of the watch presses and it just will not sit on.

There is one or two extremely small gashes along the case lip where the bezel would pop into but I'm not sure if these are the issue as they really are almost insignificant. I think I already know the answer to my question and that is to send it to Omega to repair, I have been avoiding that as I do not wish to be without my lovely Omega for 6-8 weeks and the bill that will no doubt follow it!

Does anybody have any suggestions, or shall I just bite the bullet and get it sent off? If I send the watch for a service I believe they strip the whole thing down anyway, if parts are required (such as a new main case) is that covered within the service charge? I'm guessing not.

I do love my Speedy dearly but it doesn't look right without its lovely black tachymeter!

Any help is much appreciated,
    Thanks
    Ted

2. froezenite Aug 3, 2016

This actually happened to me less than a year after I bought a new Speedmaster. I was sitting at a bench and the bezel literally just popped off. The watchmaker said that he could tell the "tensions" in the bezel were off and sent it into Omega since it was still under warranty. I asked him how a new watch could have a problem like that and he said that Omega sources some of it's parts from China which I guess means that there are much less stringent inspections/tests for some parts. Since I got the watch back the bezel hasn't had any problems but they didn't replace it so I'm not exactly sure if they just popped it back on or if they actually reformed it somehow. He told me that just popping it on with a crystal press wouldn't solve the problem.
    apparently for a watch to be "Swiss Made" only 50% of the value has to come from Switzerland and the watch actually has to be assembled in Switzerland.
    I hope this helps and I'm sorry about the bezel. It really is ridiculous considering the price of the watch.
    -SWK

3. focus340 Aug 3, 2016

Thank you very much for the reply! That is quite useful info.

It really does annoy me that I've found myself in this position. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get Omega to work their magic with it.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 3, 2016

Although bezels can be refitted successfully by enthusiastic amateurs, sometimes the bezel and/or watch need what the watchmakers call, "adjustment",

This is well above my pay grade.

The more I try bezel work, the more I come across that will not comply with my simple, "try it and see" methods, and so its off to you-know-who (the watchmaker) for proper fitting.

In case you want to try....

gemini4 and oddboy like this.
  5. focus340 Aug 3, 2016

That's the video I've used as my reference in the past, I have the same tools even. But neither myself or my local watch repairer can pop it on.

Just delaying the inevitable.

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 3, 2016

Then it is possible there is some damage to the bezel or the watch that requires the watchmakers attention.

If the bezel bounced down the street.....

7. focus340 Aug 3, 2016

It does all seem relatively good condition, like I say it is only 4 years old and isn't worn every day. There are a couple of very minute nicks in the case and even smaller ones on the inner surface of the bezel. I'd be surprised if they were causing the issue but I guess they certainly aren't helping matters.

Time to book it in I think.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2016

There is zero evidence that cases or bezels are made in China, and no evidence that any parts that may be made in locations other than Switzerland receive less stringent quality assurance checks than those made elsewhere.

How long you have had the watch is mostly irrelevant - it only takes a second to cause damage. The bezel is a press fit (slight interference fit) so although you may think small nicks, or a slight out of round condition wouldn't cause problems, they most certainly will.

I know Rolex has bezel "shrinking" machines as some models use the bezel to hold the crystal in place, but I'm not sure of Omega has a similar machine, but I would suspect they do.

But if you can't get the bezel on, then the nicks should be stoned down, and a new bezel fitted - hard to say for sure without seeing it, but that would likely solve it based on what you have written.

Cheers, Al

focus340 and Spacefruit like this.
  9. froezenite Aug 3, 2016

I apologize for the misinformation.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2016

No worries - it's just that rumours like these tend to take on a life of their own, and become fact, when there's nothing to back them up. I only know of one clearly documented instance where a photo of a bracelet link in a package was posted on WUS, and the COO was clearly identified as made in China. There have been other instances where tags that say "China" on them, that look nothing like current Omega packaging are claimed to have been on a bracelet when it arrived to someone, but given the person making the claim, I tend to take that one in particular with a very large grain of salt.

The "Swissness" of watches criteria has been revised and new requirements come in as of Jan. of 2017, and the requirements are strengthened over current requirements:

http://www.fhs.ch/eng/strengthening.html

Note that Swatch was one of the biggest pushing for these changes, and they actually wanted more from what I have read, so for brands like Omega I have no doubt that more than the current 50% Swiss content requirement is typical.

Cheers, Al

11. froezenite Aug 3, 2016

Ah I see, thank you.

12. TomGW Aug 4, 2016

I have found that a new, service bezel may tend to be a less tight fit on a late 70s early 80s watch than the original that has been removed. In such instances the old bezel will still have a more reassuring grip, even when refitted, which dispels the notion that the action of removing the original has compromised the case profile and has caused the problem. The friction, or, interference fit relies on exceptionally close tolerances which may vary.

13. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 4, 2016

many Omega cases are made in china. with very stringent quality controls. unfortunately, the " not adopted cases in regards to the quality control " are often not 100 % destroyed and " fall from the back of a truck"..... and end up on the Bay..... kind regards. achim

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2016

Please provide proof of your claims thanks.

Spacefruit likes this.
  15. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 4, 2016

My source in the factory in Biel. kind regards. achim

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2016

Okay, so no actual proof then. Thanks.

Martin Sivertsen and Spacefruit like this.
  17. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 4, 2016

Archer, they would not admit to that. kind regards. achim