Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster ApolloXI 20th for german market. Delivered as "head only" - Really?

1. Mike_F May 11, 2018

Hi everybody,
    I would like to know your view about the Speedmaster Apollo XI 20th Anniversary in its version destined to the german market and limited to 250 pieces.
    More precisely, I would like to talk about the bracelet or, should I say, the lack of bracelet delivered with these watches.
    According to the late Chuck Maddox, as well as for the MWO authors, the 250 pieces for the German market were delivered as ‘head only’.
    It seems that a similar comment was made in Omega’s Journey Through Time, at least according to an article published on the Fratellowatches website (here).
    I recently had the opportunity to get hands on one of these watches, told to be in its original condition. And I considered myself lucky as it came with a 1450 bracelet with 808 solid endlinks.
    Then I ordered an extract of the archives from the Omega Museum (without giving any information about the bracelet).
    And I received this :
    Apollo11-20th-extract.jpg
    The only explanation I could think of for this is that
    1-the information was provided ex post by the german retailer to Bienne (have anyone heard of such practice before ?)
    Or
    2-the watch left the manufacture fitted with its bracelet.
    So I humbly leave this here, hoping that well-informed (or better-informed) persons could help clarify the point.
    Regards,
    Michael

2. lillatroll May 12, 2018

My understanding is that when someone bought the watch they could decide themselves which bracelet/or strap they wanted. Perhaps the customer of this watch wanted the specific bracelet and the shop ordered them at the same time.

3. tyrantlizardrex May 12, 2018

Or it could be that the Chuck retold what he read in AJTT, MWO retold what they'd read in AJTT and ChronoMaddox, Fratello retold what they had read in all of the above.

Research is only as good as the source material that it is derived from after all, and I don't believe that anyone has been through every single record, for every Speedmaster produced, and sold as part of their research (because that would be insane). ::screwloose::

I'd suggest that an extract from the manufacturer about your specific watch, trumps all as far as factual information specific to your watch. ;)

TL/DR when you have a piece of solid evidence of something in your hands, trust that rather than what you read on the internet.

Edited May 12, 2018
    Alex06, kov, gdupree and 1 other person like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 12, 2018

Oh Chris. You and your "logic". Always opting for the "simple" answer. Live a little Mann!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.