Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Apollo XI 50th Anniversary - Thoughts?

1. Mozziebite Sep 6, 2017

Obviously, 2019 is going to be a biggie. :) Now, there have been a plethora of Apollo XI anniversary editions over the years (full rundown by Fratello here: https://www.fratellowatches.com/overview-omega-speedmaster-apollo-xi-models/), but I'd imagine that Omega will push the boat out for the 50th and give us something a bit more special than a fancy box / case etching / dial patch etc. I wondered what people think we might get treated with? I can see something along the lines of the 60th Trilogy, with maybe a limited run of 5069 (50th anniversary of '69). We know that the Buzz Aldrin reference was a 105.012-65, so will they produce a faithful "reproduction"?

DON bezel?
    Stepped dial with "vintage" lume?
    Applied logo?
    Faithful hands and crown / pushers?
    Double step caseback?
    Faithful caseback design (no NASA engraving or commemorative ApolloXI stuff) with just the LE numbers?
    Original 60s style box?
    321 movement? ;);)

What do you think?

2. TLIGuy Sep 6, 2017

Omega is a huge fan of the 50th anniversaries so I'm sure they have something spectacular in the works. If the 50th Moon landing watch is half as great as the one they did for the 50th anniversary of Gemini 4 where Ed White put the Omega Speedmaster on the map we will not be disappointed.

mikechi22 likes this.
  3. Mozziebite Sep 6, 2017

Really? I wasn't aware of a 50th Gemini 4. Do you mean the 40th? (drool....)
    blueomega.jpg

4. ck77 Sep 6, 2017

50th speedy was a let down, to me.

5. TLIGuy Sep 6, 2017

It's a very rare and only a few were allocated to an unidentified market. It has a special case back that I'm hesitant to share here because of its rarity. Please no dibbs on it or PM's. It is not for sale.

IMG_2560.JPG

Edited Sep 6, 2017
    Inushuk, Mopet, Eve and 35 others like this.
  6. Ree Sep 6, 2017

Looking at recent Apollo releases, I think Omega is going towards daring colors and materials with the Apollo anniversary models (we've seen XIII Snoopy, XI Titanium, XVII Ceramic, etc with 'daring' combinations). I'm guessing vintage-inspired designs will only be used for model's anniversaries. But could be wrong..

7. Riviera Paradise Sep 6, 2017

I think they are going to milk it for all its worth...there will probably be two LEs: one in steel and one in PM. We have discussed the 321 thing before on the OF and although many would be willing to sell kidneys, mothers etc to get a PM (white-gold / platinum) 321 LE, I think most would agree that this will be reserved for dreamland.

I think they have done just about every colour combo, design variant possible. They still have to produce a 2018 edition LE for next year. Not sure the 50th is going to live up to expectations. I do think that a 50th steel version might actually have some two-tone touches to "make it special"...apparently two-tone is coming back as a trend...millennial driven, from what I have read.

Bak1962 and SpeedyPhill like this.
  8. khanmu Sep 6, 2017

Whatever it is, I hope it's classy rather than tacky - and I know taste is subjective, but I've always thought the Gemini, Apollo 11 Panda and Apollo Soyuz meteorites were nicely done.

You can also guarantee it'll be oversubscribed so best get friendly with an AD/boutique now....

9. Riviera Paradise Sep 6, 2017

I know they are not likely to do so, but they should really try to limit Speedy LEs to just one every year. This year we have had (so far) four LEs!!!: the 57 trilogy, Speedy Tuesday and the two Apollo XVII Eugene tribute watches.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  10. abrod520 Sep 6, 2017

I'm crazy excited to see what they've got up their sleeve, Speedmaster LEs have been getting really cool lately with the XI-45, Snoopy and Speedy Tuesday.

My one hope is that there's at least one version that comes in under $10k (i.e. I hope it's not solid gold or platinum only)

repoman likes this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 6, 2017

:D That's what You get when only half a dozen of people are working in the heritage/history department :D
    Let's hope Omega will continue the superb neo-vintage styling of historically correct looking time pieces (manually wind, DON, applied logo, 1960s hands...) as they did for the 60th anniversary of our beloved Speedmaster... and keep the commemorative bits on the backside.
    Moreover, December 2018 (Apollo 8) and July 2019 (Apollo 11) will present their last chance to celebrate the amazing Apollo legacy of the Speedmaster Moonwatch as the younger generation of watch aficionados isn't that excited about it as those Speedy-addicts born in the early 1960s :rolleyes:

Hans the Wolf, Pun and Mozziebite like this.
  12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 7, 2017

Without starting a separate topic...
    If they want to present an Apollo 8 half-a-century LE SpeedyPro chronograph at Baselworld 2018, it must already be " in the works " :thumbsdown:

13. Mozziebite Sep 7, 2017

Ah. Just twigged. Due to a serious table-tennis accident in the early 90's, sometimes my irony detector shuts down for short periods. All caught up now... :thumbsup:

SpeedyPhill and TLIGuy like this.
  14. ras47 Sep 19, 2017

I'd like to see a classic design with modern internals. 42mm case with co-axial movement, or even an automatic movement instead of manual wind. Black bezel, not silver/polished stainless steel. Tasteful black dial commemorating the event with red writing on the dial and not some low-contrast color combo. Something like the Speedmaster Professional 50th Anniversary. Just the gold Omega logo on the dial and a little text proclaiming "50th Anniversary."

I'm looking for a modern Speedmaster paying homage to the original, not a re-release of the original.

50thAnniversary.jpg
    Edited Sep 19, 2017
    watchos and Hans the Wolf like this.
  15. ras47 Sep 19, 2017

Of course I would like a date window, but that might be taking my modern internals preference too far. Traditionalists are probably lining up with torches and pitchforks right now.

16. Toishome Sep 19, 2017

Where am I gonna get money for this now???::facepalm1::

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 20, 2017

Yeah... image the 60th anniversary Speedy with a date window :taunt:

18. Mozziebite Sep 20, 2017

Yep.
    IMG_0619.PNG

Bak1962, ras47, Hans the Wolf and 4 others like this.
  19. RC03 May 26, 2018

ASJ, ras47 and Travelller like this.
  20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 26, 2018

Nice bump for this topic as they ( Omega in Bienne ) should know by now what it will look like ?
    Let's hope for a neo-vintage historically correct looking classic black dial Speedmaster with commemorative details on the caseback... only 10 months to go towards Baselworld 2019 ... ... ...

PeterMizzi and bazderome like this.