Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster - A Simplification To A Complicated Past.

1. Ferik Feb 22, 2013

Hi all,

I started looking into the Speedmaster some weeks ago. I have had a 1964 Seamaster 300 for a while, which I cherish. Naturally I am getting interested in the Speedmaster. I realize there are a lot of different iterations out there and while I feel I have read some of the authoritative web sites on the subject, I am still trying to summarize that general knowledge. Would love some input, without complicating things too much, on the following assumptions:

1) There are pre-1969 watches. Those are vintage. People like them because they're pre-moon. Kinda like my 1964 SM. Are those CK2998 ?

2) There are SpeedMaster from 1969, the year of the moon. They don't have the case back that mentions the Moon because it hadn't happened yet. But it's the exact model that went there. They go by the name of 145.022 (or CK2998? I am confused). People like these!

3) The 145.022 continued after 1969, with a case back that mentioned the moon but they are essentially the ones that went to the moon.

4) After that, there has been a bunch of new iterations, the newer of which has a new co-axial movement from Omega. Is there anything I should know that happened between 1970 and now?

5) There are Mk versions of the SM that look cool but are visually anchored in their time slots. Some for example are very '70s'. The FlightMaster is another example.

6) Some post-moon SM have a transparent case back to show off the movement and have a moon related inscription. Or are those Pre-moon? I feel I saw a CK2998 with a transparent back and a moon inscription?

7) There are a bunch of special editions. Moon anniversary (10yrs, 20 years, … ?). Voyage to Mars. Snoopy, etc.

8) Some Speedmasters are manual wind, some are automatic. Did that just change at a specific point?

9) Some have orangy lumes which I like but I wasn't able to narrow that down to a specific year or model?

Are those all the basic facts? Am I wrong about them? Anything key I have omitted?

Thanks for your help,

Erik

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 22, 2013

Actually, this doesn't even come close to covering speedmasters. Too much variety to be oversimplified and I don't even know anyone who is an expert on speedmasters in general. I think I know a fair amount about them and my expertise is really just confined to the 321 speedmasters which is a whole subject in itself. In all honesty, you could write a whole book of 2-300 pages just to cover all the speedmaster information and that would still leave a lot of questions unanswered.

BASE1000 likes this.
  3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2013

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2013

As Mike indicated you could write a syllabus for an advanced course to cover the subject accurately and then probably not completely.

To what Mike and Warren said I would answer one of your questions. No, you do not have the basic facts and your are wrong about most all of your assumptions. It is not that we do not want to help you, it is that it would take more time than we have to cover all of the time line and knowledge of the subject. For example: 2998s were produced only until 1962 and there are 8 iterations just of that ! There are several other pre-moon models numbers besides the 2998 as well. The orange color you spoke of is the result of aging lume properties, not product. Transparent case backs can be added latter to models, even the engraved ones. There are several models that went to the moon, not just one.

You need to do a lot of research first, but feel free to ask about specific facts you uncover as you go. No more assumptions :thumbsup:

5. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 22, 2013

Exactly! 8 subreferences which show changes and alterations within the subreference or cross border between two or three subreferences concerning shape and size of prints, case backs, hands, subhands, pushers, crowns, bezels and steps in the dial :whistling:

This is why I, since years, practically do only study this CK 2998 Speedies and the CK 2915, still learning something new all the time. Welcome in the club of the addicted.