Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster '69 "transitional" - Identification and restoration advice.

1. Theebag Jul 16, 2014

Good day all,

Recently I've been passed along a Speedmaster Professional and I'm seeking advice on correct identification and what to do with a possible restoration.

The watch has not yet been opened up , but with reading around on the internet I think it's a '69 Pre-moon transitional. The dial plate points to a Cal 861 but the back has still the pre moon inscription. The bezel insert is however with the dot next to the 90, is this correct ? The bracelet is a 1039, damaged (worn daily until a couple of years ago), but the original sizable links are preserved.

Pictures :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My questions are:

Is the identification correct ? Do you spot any possible "non original" parts ?

How would you guys proceed with a restoration ? My plan was to keep everything as original as possible, the luminous material on the minute hand appears to be damaged, is this going to be a problem ? The bracelet is dented, is it possible to repair it, or keep it as it ?

Where would you restore it, STS (lots of good reference on the net) or Bienne. I'm based in Belgium, do they accept watches from abroad ? Otherwise any recommendation for Belgium/Netherlands ?

A lot of question, I know it ;). But the watch is personally highly valuable and I just want the best for it :). Thank you in advance.

Varasc likes this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 16, 2014

Very nice looking Speedy, with the original bracelet! The bezel, dial, hands, etc. also all look fine to me, but I am sure others will weigh in soon. Personally, I would get a full overhaul of the movement, but leave the rest of it as is. Changing out visible parts can reduce the market value of the watch to the collector community. Given the age of the watch it is always possible something has been changed out, but if so, the parts visible look correct and appropriately well-aged.

Once you (or your watchmaker) open the back, there will be a serial number on the movement that can help determine the approximate date of manufacture. In addition, for a fee, Omega will provide a record from their archives indicating when the watch was produced and to which country it was originally shipped.

3. JohnSteed Jul 16, 2014

Transitional Speedys typically have the applied Omega logo

...... hands & overall look seem nice
    ...... bezel seems later than I'd expect on a Transitional
    ...... when you get a chance to check the serial number that should yield more info (as mentioned above)

Service/restoration? I would have a service done and keep everything as is

Dablitzer likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2014

Different transitional, the '68 transitional has the applied logo, the '69 transition (different transition) has painted.

JohnSteed, lanierdams and Tritium like this.
  5. Tritium Jul 16, 2014

Both have stepped dial, right?

6. timeismoney Jul 16, 2014

Ivan, yes, they should both have the stepped dial.

Theebag, there should be a Cal.861 in there. Hopefully the movement is in great condition but should overhaul it. Definitely keep all the visible parts. What a great gift to you, it looks great! Enjoy!

Tritium and JohnSteed like this.
  7. JohnSteed Jul 16, 2014

Cool, Thx!

EDIT...Should've made it clear my comments relate to the '68 transitional

8. lanierdams Jul 16, 2014

Don't change anythings,very nice example :thumbsup:

yuralagun likes this.
  9. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Jul 16, 2014

In fact, this is the 68 which is usually called transitional, with still applied Omega logo, but new 861.
    yours is a 69 and everything looks correct. The bezel might be correct, given that s/n is in the range of 30.590.xxx or later.

Spacefruit and JohnSteed like this.
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 16, 2014

I use the term Transitional as a noun to describe the group of early 861 speedmasters that carry the applied logo, long indices dial that was fitted to the previous reference,( the 145.012, which had a 321 movement,) and these also had date stamps -68 or -69 and low serials. I observe them roughly in the 28m or below range. I have not seen higher that fit the other characteristics.

Omega produced many references with somewhat blurred parts contents, but the 68/69 861 is the not only the clearest, but also the most valued, hence the usefulness to be able to identify it by calling it a Transitional.

The 1970 case back with engraved commemoration is also a transition, but it is a transition of parts, not references.

I can't believe I have become such a pedant. But I have.

As to the op watch. Send it to STS for movement service, and case clean. Don't touch the dial hands or bezel, they look lovely. You are in the eu, so shipping should be fine.

http://speedmaster101.com/145-022-transitional/

Edited May 25, 2017
  11. Theebag Jul 17, 2014

Hello everyone, thank you very much for the information and advice. One of these days I go to a watchmaker to open the back for inspection and get the serial number (I don't have the correct tools). I'll post some pictures and will give that number.

Regarding the restoration, I'll get in touch with STS for a movement service/overhaul and a case clean. Will keep you all posted :).

12. Theebag Jul 18, 2014

Alright, as promised, the reference and serial:

145.022-69
    30.996.XXX

No pictures yet, will be taken on later date.

13. Theebag May 9, 2017

So, let's give this thread a kick.

After careful consideration and weighing all the option and your suggestions I recently decided to send the watch to Omega in Biel for a an overhaul. I did read all the positive and negative stories and was fully aware what my decision could entail (Heresy ;) ). Part of my reasoning was also what would my uncle do, and he would definitely do this.

The Omega store in Bern was the point of contact and all was handled via them. The request was made to keep as much as original and all replaced parts have been returned.

The hands have been replaced, the original lumen had deteriorated even more than in the pictures in my opening post. The bracelet has been replaced by a new 1171/633. It was completely worn and the links were just too loose (the worst parts were not shown in the pictures). Also the glass has been renewed. Looking at the parts bag the movement needed a lot of renewal.

Once again I would like to thank for your help. Here is the watch:

IMG_1228JPG.jpg IMG_1229JPG.jpg IMG_1230JPG.jpg

IMG_1232JPG.jpg
    Edited May 9, 2017
  14. sky21 May 9, 2017

Well you've certainly made your watch much more usable for everyday wear by replacing the hands and putting on a new bracelet. As long as you kept all the original parts you're doing fine especially since you're not going to sell it. I love the faded grey bezel by the way.

15. OddSpeedy May 9, 2017

Honestly they did an excellent job with your beloved speedy. The craftsman that serviced your watch should be applauded. The hands were already non-tritium replacements so no harm there. The dial appears immaculate and in the same condition as when you gave it to them, glad to see that wasn't replaced or relumed. They also did a fine job on the case, it's still sharp, and now it's missing all the marks but regained the factory brush marks.

Your uncle would be proud... wear it with confidence and give him thanks for passing you such a beautiful timepiece

R3D9 likes this.
  16. OddSpeedy May 9, 2017

@Theebag ... what was the turnaround time? I just noticed the OP was almost three years ago.

JohnSteed likes this.
  17. JohnSteed May 9, 2017

That's nice @Theebag
    Also hope they returned all parts that were replaced including that valuable bracelet.

18. Theebag May 24, 2017

Thank you very much. Personally I'm very happy with the result.

It took about 6 weeks, from the day I handed it in at Omega in Bern until the notification it was ready for pick up.

Yes, all the parts have been returned, including the bracelet. Omega didn't want to repair it, there is a lot of play in the individual parts/linkages.