Forums Latest Members
  1. mappleluna Jan 5, 2018

Went to the swimming pool yesterday with my daughter. I do not know what I was thinking about but I kept my one and only modern watch at my wrist. Thought those modern speedies were waterproof but they are not...

IMG_20180105_121049.jpg

Any advice?

CTS-V likes this.
  2. demollo Jan 5, 2018

Oh man, i am so sorry about it...

Probably the service will be needed and i bet the warranty will not cover the costs...

Maybe @Archer can chip in.

Take care!

3. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 5, 2018

I would bring it to the boutique directly. This is a no go :cautious:

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  4. nima0071 Jan 5, 2018

ouch that one will be a costly one to fix.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 5, 2018

You have to be the first with a 60th speedmaster ;)

May have knocked the pusher, I have swam with a modern speedmaster many a time.
    Mostly jumped in forgetting what I was wearing more than intentionally picking it as a swimming watch ( damn rum and beer )

MaiLollo and mappleluna like this.
  6. Canuck Jan 5, 2018

I hope you uploaded the picture immediately prior to having taken the watch to a watchmaker to have it dried out. And that, by now, you have discovered no significant damage! The story of Speedmaster water resistance is often discussed on this MB. I own two, and they don’t get close to water, ever.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 5, 2018

No watch is waterproof. This watch is rated to be water resistant to 60 m.

It needs to be looked at immediately, and I hope they would cover it under warranty. Simply drying it out is not enough - this should be fully disassembled, serviced, etc. to ensure all traces of moisture have been removed. The clock is ticking...

Cheers, Al

8. Matt87 Jan 5, 2018

So sorry to see something like that... unfortunately, the modern speedy as well don’t have any relevant waterprofness in dynamic conditions...

9. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jan 5, 2018

Oh no. Pusher press in the hustle and bustle? Judging by what Archer can do with rusted speedies, this should be fine at the end of it ...

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 5, 2018

Dynamic conditions?

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 5, 2018

The Speedmaster is rated to 60m. It makes no difference in “dynamic conditions.” The fact that this one failed is either because it is defective, or a crown or pusher was used underwater or left open.

TMas likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 5, 2018

Matt to save you from fighting your corner regarding this comment (and coming off worst) I would suggest you google ‘watch dynamic pressure myth’ and read up.

I too think that if this occurred like the OP says that it is a clear warranty issue and shouldn’t hopefully be chargeable.

Edited Jan 5, 2018
  13. kwiklot Jan 5, 2018

Good luck with it OP, I imagine going back to the AD or OB would be the first thing I do I hope it works out for you.

14. Alex06 Jan 5, 2018

Ne Jamais approché l'eau (piscine,mer)avec une montre qui n'est pas au moins étanche à 100m minimum ,en dessous juste Bon ,à se laver les mains avec.Apres, pour faire marcher la garantie ..............................cela dépend des rapports que vous avez avec votre boutique Omega

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 5, 2018

Sorry, but Omega disagrees with you...

[​IMG]

16. Alex06 Jan 5, 2018

Oui mais cela c'est de la théorie commerciale, simplement du marketing mensonger, à mon humble avis.D.ailleurs omega sur sa brochure indique bien robinet, douche, et nage tranquille ... pas de plongeon ou rentrer dans l'eau rapidement parce que la thermique du choc ....

Car il faut tenir compte de la dilatation des joints face à l'exposition au soleil et salle de bains se baigner dans une eau plus froide ..........
    Même une montre de plongée étanche à plus de 300 m de profondeur peut prendre L'eau à cinquante centimètres d'eau !!! si je l'ai vu !!! Juste par manque de pression du manque de profondeur, principe d'archimède .....

Alors une montre pour 60 m ........ pas d'eau c'est mieux.

Edited Jan 5, 2018
  17. bovecHD Jan 5, 2018

I would expect that swimming in what i guess to be 3m of water or less should not affect watch that is rated to 60m. Good luck on service being covered.

Starman71 likes this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 5, 2018

Nope - the watches are tested fully, so can certainly withstand the pressures involved. No marketing involved - I do this type of testing every day. But continue to believe what you wish in spite of this - that is what the world is all about these days - people's opinions getting more weight than actual facts...

19. Alex06 Jan 5, 2018

Si vous le dites pas de soucis :))

20. Meme-Dweller Jan 5, 2018

See if Omega would cover it. Say you washed your hands or something and this happened (in b4 I get roasted for this white lie suggestion). I've been to the beach with my 3570.50 with no problems, but I didn't wind the crown or play with the pushers at all for the whole day. Of course, pressure is going to be far worse if you start punching people underwater.