Speedmaster 38

I wouldn't put that much thought into cultivating a relationship with an OB at this point. Take a slight discount from an AD. Warranty is the same.
Thank you for the insight. I really don’t think that I’d be buying another luxury watch for at least 5 years after this watch, so I doubt my relationship will even be relevant at that point so I’m inclined to agree with you. Thanks.

I’m another vote against worrying about establishing a relationship with an OB—or an AD. It’s great advice if you’re building a collection and have plenty of disposable income and are chasing tough allocation pieces. But if you’re 25 and this is a big purchase, I’d be looking for the best deal.

The market, from what I’ve heard, is getting softer, not more competitive. I tend to buy preowned to avoid the always-unsettling depreciation hit—these watches do not tend to hold value well. But if having the full 5 years of warranty is crucial to you, then yes, I would continue to insist that any AD provide a meaningful discount or sweetener—eating the tax, at least, or offering some OEM straps or something. MSRP on these watches is totally out of touch with “street value.”

If I were you—and of course I am not—I would take my time and monitor the most trusted preowned sellers and wait for the watch I want to pop up at one of them. FWIW DavidSW (one of the best in the world) has a Speedy 38 right now (sans warranty), he’s in Florida, and would probably negotiate on price. (He does offer his own 1 year warranty.) I’m guessing he will have another one with the majority of the Omega warranty still active in the near future—these aren’t rare watches and they come up for sale all the time. Hodinkee/Crown & Caliber, EuropeanWatchCompany, OCWatchGuy, WatchBox, JomaShop… You’ll find what you want. Unless you must have it brand new, I’d hold off and find one as close as possible to what it’s “worth” (as in what a reseller would offer you for it: probably in the ballpark of $3500).

You’re probably aware, but these smaller Speedies aren’t highly prized or collectible. (I happen to like them a lot myself and have been tempted to buy one more than once.) If you buy one and decide to sell it later, you will likely lose $$$$ unless you do as I suggest in the preceding paragraph.

On the flipside, a thing is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and the experience/enjoyment of it adds value. Find the right balance between head and heart here!
Edited:

It’s true re: Joma—of the places I listed, they’re the least likely to offer a mfr warranty. (I’ve heard the occasional story of it happening.) Their own warranty/service for a modern Omega—probably not the way to go. But given the low odds of actually needing a service in the first few years… you could argue the lower cost is the better bet, and then in the unlikely event you do end up needing a service, you’ll have saved more than the cost of an OEM service anyway—so you’ve still come out better than paying full retail with a warranty.

But in any case, all the other places I mentioned do provide the mfr warranty if the watch has one. (As does Takuya—another good rec.)

And re: the AD being unable to offer a discount—they can find ways. Again, eating the tax or supplementing with straps or other swag. I speak from personal experience. But even so, there are better deals to be had if one can accept buying preowned.