Forums Latest Members
  1. newton982 Jul 9, 2017

Hello All - this doesn't quite qualify as vintage but I have a 3592.50 that is in need of service. I live in NYC and am planning on taking it into the Omega shop on 5th Avenue.

My concern is that I don't want them to change the dial, bezel or hands and have heard varying accounts on whether it is possible to specify this or not.

So my question is: do you think that Omega, in general, does a good job servicing the older Speedmaster and is it possible specify not to change certain parts? Also, do you know of any good alternatives for servicing in the US other than Omega?

Thank you.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 9, 2017

They're gonna change the hands. Good news is that they return them and you can replace them. They're not going to touch the dial or bezel, unless they're screwed up (assuming they aren't) so that's not a worry.

The worry with this recent a reference, is the cost. It's a lot more expensive (about $750.00) than if you find a good local guy (who likely won't change the hands). There are a lot of members in your area so there should be watchmaker recommendations, if you do a site search.

3. newton982 Jul 9, 2017

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear they are somewhat sensitive to keeping things original. I will do a search to see if I can find a good independent shop in NYC.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 9, 2017

See what you can find. I'm sure someone will chime in with a recommendation.