Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 3570.50 chronograph seconds hand does not rest to 12

1. s91 Aug 21, 2015

Hello friends, I recently bought an used 3570.50 from elady. Everything is working well and keeps accurate time (1-2s slow per day). The chronograph seconds hand came aligned. But after I wound up the watch and tested the chronograph for the first time, the seconds hand became misaligned and would always return to 0.5seconds to the right of 12. I really want to keep this watch, so do you think this is a small problem that can be fixed when I take it in for service? I expect to have it serviced within 2 months. Thanks for helping.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 8.34.30 AM.jpg
  2. Canuck Aug 21, 2015

Welcome,

Were the minutes and hours sub dial hands, and the sweep seconds hands all properly zeroed when you received the watch? I ask, because if they weren't all three zeroed, it could be that the stop button was pushed when the seconds hand was dead on the mark, but the zero button wasn't pushed. Thereby, the sub dials wouldn't have been re-set. If the misalignment happened the first time you pressed the re-set button, that is something that needs to be looked at. This may be the symptom of something internal that could be attended to when the watch is serviced. I wouldn't recommend the expedient of having someone remove the sweep seconds hand when in the zero position, and putting the seconds hand back on, properly aligned. It needs to be checked out.

Eve likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 21, 2015

Most likely an easy fix at servicing time. Don't stress too much.

4. El_guapo Aug 21, 2015

In the original ad photo of this watch (as seen on WUS) the second register is more or less aligned and minute subdial hand is still perfectly aligned at zero, which after testing with my own speedy suggests against the stop button being pushed to disguise the misalignment due to the habit of the subdial hand starting to move about 1 second before it makes the full movement across to register the minute. Like another user there suggested, I'd say it was slightly off centre but maybe got a bit worse during shipping. I'd contact the seller and ask them to pay for the re-centering, the seller (elady) is quite reputable.

5. s91 Aug 21, 2015

Alright thanks everyone. I'm moving soon so I don't think it's a good idea to get it fixed now. Is it ok to leave that hand at 6 for now? The misalignment is really bothering me haha.

6. El_guapo Aug 21, 2015

7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 22, 2015

Yes, leave it as is. Maybe don't run the chrono til it's serviced. It's not a big deal. These things happen.