Forums Latest Members
  1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 26, 2019

B&M, Tag, Sinn... I can still keep going on 7750’s lol. I guess Baume et Mercier is a trash brand.

Yup.

2. Aeropagus May 26, 2019

Don’t forget that Rolex used a valjoux in their older Daytona’s.

The trend right now is to go for in-house movements. I definitely am glad that watchmaking is making a comeback. However, I just ordered a Tudor Black Bay Heritage with the rose dial ETA movement. On paper it isn’t as good, and I could have ordered the in-house for about the same price. The in house movement is better in every way—albeit the case thickness. But it’s still a top grade ETA that has been customized by Tudor, and is serviceable at almost ANY watch repair shop. People have to remember that the in-house movements are typically more expensive to service and can be difficult to find parts or find a service shop down the road.

ETA has a pretty broad range of class. And yes, it can be a very affordable movement. But I compare it to a Toyota for their “low-grade” classes and a Lexus’s for their top-grade. Quality workhorse movements that are reliable. Remember that ETA has some movements in multiple tier grades.

DaveK and MMariotti like this.
  3. Aeropagus May 26, 2019

4. MMariotti May 26, 2019

I see the point. Thank you for the explanation. I guess that the issue for me is to understand if an in house movement is a better thing or if it's negligible. When I am looking at a new watch, is it something I should take into consideration?

5. Aeropagus May 26, 2019

Depends. On what you want. I personally don’t like it when a brand like Bell and Ross use ETA and modular chronographs in a watch that they sell for 3k+. That’s just crazy to me. Omega using ETA doesn’t bother me because they mod them. I like it when a watch brand takes ownership of whatever movement they are using. I think that shows that they are invested in more than the aesthetic.

MMariotti likes this.
  6. MMariotti May 27, 2019

Thank you very much!

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2019

If you buy into marketing hype.

Also please define an in house movement. There is no legal definition at all. Many “in house “ are still made by ETA and just more customized over the base movement.

8. JwRosenthal May 27, 2019

No shame in an eta, most of my vintage US watches from the 60’s used them (Gruen, Bulova, Benrus), and my 90’s/00’s Chronos (Breitling, Tag, Sinn). Omega went through a period when they outsourced their movements on all but the Speedy (80’s/90’s-correct me please if I’m wrong).

I agree though that $3k+ for a factory eta based watch is an insult. I think these 7750 based Speedy’s are a steal on the used market for what they are. If a Speedy Panda came my ways the right price, I wouldn’t turn it down eta or not

pchambers99 likes this.
  9. MMariotti May 27, 2019

Some bloggers out there really slam big houses for not going full "in-house"

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 27, 2019

It was pure marketing and a by product of what eta/swatch group did constraining availability for other houses.

Example the PAM 318 special in-house movement lol. Pure base model Unitas 6497 with zero changes. Guess who owns Unitas... eta/swatch group.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 28, 2019

The only thing an "in house" movement (whatever that means) really guarantees you is some form of exclusivity. It doesn't automatically make the movement better in any pure technical sense.

What it often does is limit how and where you get the watch serviced in the future, and in many cases will hold you captive to the brand and whatever their policies are on servicing.

The idea that "in house" is better is a fairly recent thing made up by marketing departments for the most part. Not saying that there aren't some great manufacture movements out there, but being so doesn't automatically make a movement "better" than one that isn't.

Cheers, Al

pkaye6, lando, Foo2rama and 1 other person like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2019

Hey @Aeropagus , did you find anything else out about the bezel, you got me looking at them too now. A saw the Japanese 051 with the black bezel years ago and always thought it looked so much better then the chrome. If it is just a bezel swap, I would be interested in doing the same

13. Socrates67 Jun 3, 2019

I'm planning on purchasing a 3511.50 later this month and, if I can find the right bezel, doing the swap to black. I went ahead and ordered the beveled bezel from Startime supply mentioned above. Hopefully it's the correct fit. I'm pretty sure it must be - I don't think Omega made any Speedys with that beveled bezel but a different sized case. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'll keep everyone informed of my progress and any successes.

Finally, I'm planning to purchase the watch from a Japanese seller on eBay. Is there a thread that someone can point me to that outlines the do's and don'ts of buying watches on eBay from Japan? Thanks.

14. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2019

That link just shows a bezel insert-don’t you need a whole bezel as. Thought the one in the 050 is engraved and one piece, not with an insert

15. Socrates67 Jun 3, 2019

We'll soon find out, I guess. If I end up having to stick with the original bezel that won't be a problem. It still looks good.

Here's a pic I found on eBay. It sorts of looks like there's a bezel insert that's lifting off a bit - right between 75 and 80.

s-l1600-7.jpg
  16. JwRosenthal Jun 3, 2019

I think that’s just a reflection. I think it’s a recessed bezel that takes an insert like the SMP. I agree it’s badass with the black and I want it too.

17. mmeara1212 Jul 12, 2019

Anyone have luck with this? My interest is piqued in updating the bezel as well.

18. ialsafa Oct 9, 2020

Did you ever do the mod to your watch? If so, where did you find the bezel (part#)?

19. Aeropagus Oct 9, 2020

I didn’t. It is possible to do it, though.

20. dcontrol Nov 14, 2023

I know this is an old thread, but I just got this done a couple minutes ago and I had to share.

[​IMG]

Swapped between a tripled date 3520.50 and panda speedy 3511.50.

I read through this thread and the other linked thread and bought the bezel vise, but I couldn't get them off. Felt like I was scratching up or denting my watch so I stopped. I spotted this on ebay for $30, didn't expect it to work but it was worth the shot.

[​IMG]

Oh boy was I wrong, I didn't even get a chance to figure out how to swap those yellow inserts. I literally placed it around my watch, which was still on my wrist, and gave a little squeeze and the bezel popped right off. I was just trying to see check the sizing, barely squeezed with any pressure. Same with the triple date speedy, literally 2 seconds to remove. It took longer to pop the bezel back since it kept rotating slightly when I put it on the crystal press. But all in all probably took 10 minutes.