Forums Latest Members

SpeedMaster 3220 with 175-0032 case: Pusher repair advice

1. focusrsh Jan 22, 2016

I have an Omega SpeedMaster with the 175 0032 style case. (Bought it new!) Apparently, one of the threaded screws that holds the pusher cap assembly together broke, resulting in the cap being lost. I want to attempt the repair the watch myself.

That case uses a pusher tube that is press-fit in the case, rather than the threaded in type used in other variants of the SpeedMaster. I am loathe to attempt to press OUT the old tube for fear of damaging the case. So I thought that all I would need to do is to buy a replacement pusher assembly, unscrew the threaded screw to disassemble the pusher, put the new cap and spring back on the old pusher tube, and screw it back together.

So I bought a replacement pusher assembly, but I was unable to unthread the screw. I didn't think I was using too much torque but apparently I was, as the new screw twisted off, as shown in the photo.

So here is my question: Does anyone know if that screw is a reverse thread? If not, does Omega use some kind of Locktite on the threads? Do I need to heat it to remove it? I don't want to make the same mistake again since these pushers are about $45 each. I knew there was going to be some learning curve and $$ involved, but so far, I haven't learned much.

IMG_4448.JPG
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 23, 2016

They are a standard right handed thread, but as you have found they apply Loctite to the thread to keep the cap in place. Heating can release the Loctite bond, but the risk is obviously damaging the seal in the process. These are meant to be pressed in as an assembly.